Author Topic: Vent plug bubbling when dry  (Read 5407 times)

NorthJerzSurfer

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Vent plug bubbling when dry
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2019, 08:53:17 AM »
if you have a heating room where your boiler is- thats a great place.  I have a whole home dehumidifier next to my boiler- I simply unplug it and let it run like mad and turn up the heat for a while.

remidied the one board that got water in it really quick.  Mine was from an in water ding.  So i wanted it fully dry before sealing the repair.

i have heard people have success with the car with the heat on high if all else fails and have a safe place to have your car idle.

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2019, 09:04:33 AM »
5 lbs means it's clearly got water in it.

2 lbs might mean you got a heavy one from that production run--happens

dryout, for me, has always required patience--but i am always drying out after a ding---i have a room that's always hot, and i begin by hanging the board with the ding arranged to be lowest point--so the board drains out the dinghole--i shove toilet paper in to serve as telltale and to (hopefully) dessicant--after appx a week, if there's no more telltale of wet, i flip the board (google boardlady) so the ding is highest--then i leave it again for a week, so moisture can evap up and out of the board--then, if the weights back to normal, i repair--one time i left the board for several weeks before it reverted to nearly original weight

how to drain if in fact your leak is at the vent plug?? not sure

before you do anything rad, i would remove the vent plug, dry the immediate area and shove toilet paper in the hole to see if it saturates.......

Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

washingtonsurfer

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2019, 11:46:24 AM »
Ok I'll probably use my vehicle because all I have is a wood stove in my house for heat and it's way to warm out for that lol. So how hot is too hot? And how long is too long?

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2019, 12:53:13 PM »
I would say it should be warm to the touch but not hot.

« Last Edit: May 08, 2019, 12:56:57 PM by Badger »
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300
Sunova Flow  8'10 X 31"  119L
Me - 6'0" - 165lbs - 66yo

supthecreek

« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2019, 01:56:13 PM »
Hi washingtonsurfer

I got your email today, and have been off on a mini surf trip with a buddy for a few days, so I missed this.

The goretex vent will bubble if water is on the deck, because a goretex vent is designed to allow the board to breat as in heats and cools.
The problem with a "fixed vent" that must be unscrewed is:
All boards expand and contract.... if no "breathing" vent, the boards get bigger, then smaller.... over and over until the skin cracks.
Picture a a thin piece of metal.... if you bend it back and forth, it will crack, then snap.

The Sunova Goretex vent is designed so the expansion of the interior gas will simply exhaust out the vent, then breath back in when the temp changes again. The gortex lets the vapors pass through the membrane, but not liquid.
Sunova skin is spared the constant flexing that weakens the structure.

The board exhausting vapor will cause bubbles in any water on the deck as it escapes. totally normal.
The wrong thing to do is remove the vent, or tighten it.... just leave it alone, they rarely fail.
I have never heard of something going in that tiny hole and tearing the goretex.

Several questions before you decide anything:
Did you weigh the board when you got it?
What kind of scale do you use?

I have two scales in my bathroom.... hold on, I'll go weigh myself, tick, tock, tick, tock...
ok.... 235 on one scale and 238 on the other scale.... hummm, I weighed 228 yesterday  :-X
meaning 2 things
Scales vary
and.... I'm fat  :-[

ever wonder why you weigh so much at the Doctors?

ok, so here are some possible explanations:
The pics you sent me didn't worry me, I don't think there is any leaking there.

No manufacturer in the world achieves the same weight on every board they produce, and all aspire to keep with in a tolerance of +- 6%

so on a board suppose to weigh 20.5 lbs, so anywhere from 19.3 to 21.8
I have seen only one board that came in noticeably heavier... an 8'10 that weighed more than my 9'4. Unfortunately, sometimes that happens.

All this means is your board could be a bit on the heavy side, and your scale could be on the high side.
The only scale I trust, is a digital shipping scale I use.
Try another scale, to double check the board weight.
Could be you got a great deal on the board cuz it was built heavy.

check for leaks:
Any place that you think could have leaked, place in the sun and after it heats up a bit, pour a little water over suspect area and watch for bubbles there.... not in the vent

Your only problem may be a scale that's off and a board that's a bit overweight.
Since I designed it, overweight seems most likely  ;)

Please keep me posted, and I am sorry for any troubles you may be having!

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2019, 02:08:33 PM »
I think all scales have a way to calibrate them.

I use a 20 pound barbell weight, set it on the scale and calibrate the scale to 20 pounds.

I no longer have that scale. I thought it was pretty accurate.

Body weight can fluctuate quite a bit depending on what you've ingested or excreted so you can't really use that for testing the accuracy of scales.
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300
Sunova Flow  8'10 X 31"  119L
Me - 6'0" - 165lbs - 66yo

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: May 08, 2019, 02:28:18 PM »
I had one board (I think it was a 10'6 Riviera) where I unscrewed the vent plug and noticed they had never drilled the base of it into the board. So it was doing nothing. I drilled it out.   
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

washingtonsurfer

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 08, 2019, 04:49:57 PM »
Hi washingtonsurfer

I got your email today, and have been off on a mini surf trip with a buddy for a few days, so I missed this.

The goretex vent will bubble if water is on the deck, because a goretex vent is designed to allow the board to breat as in heats and cools.
The problem with a "fixed vent" that must be unscrewed is:
All boards expand and contract.... if no "breathing" vent, the boards get bigger, then smaller.... over and over until the skin cracks.
Picture a a thin piece of metal.... if you bend it back and forth, it will crack, then snap.

The Sunova Goretex vent is designed so the expansion of the interior gas will simply exhaust out the vent, then breath back in when the temp changes again. The gortex lets the vapors pass through the membrane, but not liquid.
Sunova skin is spared the constant flexing that weakens the structure.

The board exhausting vapor will cause bubbles in any water on the deck as it escapes. totally normal.
The wrong thing to do is remove the vent, or tighten it.... just leave it alone, they rarely fail.
I have never heard of something going in that tiny hole and tearing the goretex.

Several questions before you decide anything:
Did you weigh the board when you got it?
What kind of scale do you use?

I have two scales in my bathroom.... hold on, I'll go weigh myself, tick, tock, tick, tock...
ok.... 235 on one scale and 238 on the other scale.... hummm, I weighed 228 yesterday  :-X
meaning 2 things
Scales vary
and.... I'm fat  :-[

ever wonder why you weigh so much at the Doctors?

ok, so here are some possible explanations:
The pics you sent me didn't worry me, I don't think there is any leaking there.

No manufacturer in the world achieves the same weight on every board they produce, and all aspire to keep with in a tolerance of +- 6%

so on a board suppose to weigh 20.5 lbs, so anywhere from 19.3 to 21.8
I have seen only one board that came in noticeably heavier... an 8'10 that weighed more than my 9'4. Unfortunately, sometimes that happens.

All this means is your board could be a bit on the heavy side, and your scale could be on the high side.
The only scale I trust, is a digital shipping scale I use.
Try another scale, to double check the board weight.
Could be you got a great deal on the board cuz it was built heavy.

check for leaks:
Any place that you think could have leaked, place in the sun and after it heats up a bit, pour a little water over suspect area and watch for bubbles there.... not in the vent

Your only problem may be a scale that's off and a board that's a bit overweight.
Since I designed it, overweight seems most likely  ;)

Please keep me posted, and I am sorry for any troubles you may be having!

I hadn't been out for a few days when I noticed the water coming out of the vent that's why it worried me. I LOVE this board! Definitely don't want any delamination or anything like that to be happening.

baddog

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 12, 2019, 01:11:09 PM »
The board weighed 25 lbs without fins. Online says it should weigh a little over 20 lbs...

Listed weights are meaningless.  Gotta weigh your board brand new, so you have an actual baseline.  Bathroom scales are not accurate enough, period.  A cheapo travel scale is a much better option.  If it's feeling heavier, that's a tip off.  If it feels like the balance is off, it's another bad sign.  Have to say though, 25lb seems awfully heavy.

If you took the plug out, and hopefully with the plug recess dry, touch the foam below with a Q-Tip; if it comes back soaked, you've got a problem.

You still haven't mentioned if you checked to see if the Gore-Tex layer is intact???  Use a magnifying glass, but it's the least likely possibility.  Gore-Tex does not bubble water.  If air is bubbling through water in the plug, that's cool.  If water is bubbling out and onto your board and running off, that's not.

Besides what everyone else has posted already, check around any insert and especially the fins and the LiftSUP handle; give them all a good flex, looking for cracks, pinholes or water.  And I hate to mention it, but it's happens a lot, cracks can occur under the traction pad; and that will be a pain to find and fix.

blueplanetsurf

• Site Sponsor
  • Teahupoo Status
  • Hawaii's SUP HQ
    • View Profile
    • Blue Planet Surf
Robert Stehlik
Blue Planet Surf Shop, Honolulu
Hawaii's SUP HQ
http://www.blueplanetsurf.com

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal