Author Topic: Vent plug bubbling when dry  (Read 5406 times)

washingtonsurfer

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
Vent plug bubbling when dry
« on: May 04, 2019, 05:53:48 PM »
After going out today I noticed water bubbles coming out of the vent plug. First time I've ever noticed it and it's not the first day it's been warm. I checked to make sure it was tight and pulled it out to make sure nothing was obstructing the o-ring. Am I worrying for nothing?
« Last Edit: May 04, 2019, 05:59:22 PM by washingtonsurfer »

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
Re: Vent plug bubbling when dry
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2019, 06:36:01 PM »
It's normal for a Goretex vent plug to bubble when it gets covered with water but non breathing vent plugs should not bubble.

If it was dry when you looked inside the board then it should be fine. If there was water inside the board then you might have a problem.

« Last Edit: May 04, 2019, 06:45:46 PM by Badger »
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300
Sunova Flow  8'10 X 31"  119L
Me - 6'0" - 165lbs - 66yo

washingtonsurfer

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2019, 01:37:18 PM »
I sat it out today with the plug out to see if it was still bubbling and there's definitely water coming out of the vent hole. There's no dings or cracks on the board to let water in so I dont know where the water would have gotten in there. This is on a Sunova Creek.

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2019, 02:07:43 PM »
One thing I don't like about the Sunova vent plugs is that there is nothing to prevent someone from putting something into the hole and puncturing the Goretex membrane. You should be able to check the bottom of the plug with a magnifying glass and see if the membrane is punctured. While you're at it, make sure the rubber O ring is not missing.

Check the board for dark areas in the wood veneer that would indicate water ingress. These dark areas might be soft or spongy. Also check closely for cracks. The rails are the most common place for cracks to occur and can be difficult to see through the paint pattern. Your fingernails will often catch on any cracks.

« Last Edit: May 05, 2019, 02:41:47 PM by Badger »
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2019, 08:03:44 PM »
My experience tells me the water almost always comes out of the place that it went in. If there is no damage or delam around the outside of the vent base, then it's probably a faulty or damaged vent insert plug. May have been cross threaded. ????   
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

washingtonsurfer

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2019, 01:25:30 PM »
I've checked over the board a few times for tiny dings that I might be missing but haven't found any. I dont think a lot of water got in maybe a few tablespoons came out. What is a good replacement plug? Would it be better to go with a non-venting plug?

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2019, 03:11:54 PM »
When I started standup back in 2013, most companies used non-vented plugs and I never saw any boards with problems from it.

I've been thinking about switching to non vented plugs but haven't done it yet. I guess because I haven't had any problems. All my boards are fine at the moment.

It's easy to find solid plugs to fit Sunova boards online. I did some research a while back and almost ordered some. It's a standard plug size that is used on many things, mostly automotive I think. They don't cost much and even come in different colors.

« Last Edit: May 06, 2019, 03:14:34 PM by Badger »
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2019, 03:39:56 PM »
Another possibility could be over-tightening, and crushing or mis-shaping the O-ring (don't ask me how I know :-[). Once you get it started correctly threaded, gently finger tighten (with a socket only, no wrench attached) until you feel it stop or come up against the O-ring, and then just a quarter turn more or so should be enough to seat everything correctly.
Me: 6'1"/185...(2) 5'1" Kings Foil/Wing Boards...7'10 Kings DW Board...9'6" Bob Pearson "Laird Noserider"...14' Lahui Kai "Manta"...8'0" WaveStorm if/when the proning urges still hit.

washingtonsurfer

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2019, 07:31:18 PM »
When I started standup back in 2013, most companies used non-vented plugs and I never saw any boards with problems from it.

I've been thinking about switching to non vented plugs but haven't done it yet. I guess because I haven't had any problems. All my boards are fine at the moment.

It's easy to find solid plugs to fit Sunova boards online. I did some research a while back and almost ordered some. It's a standard plug size that is used on many things, mostly automotive I think. They don't cost much and even come in different colors.

If your vented plug started leaking would you replace it with a non-vented? I like the idea that its user error not plug error if I had a non-vented.

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2019, 01:39:23 AM »
I don't know. I've brought this subject up a few times and no one has confirmed whether vented plugs are absolutely necessary. I never leave my boards in the sun so I assume I don't need them. I've been hoping someone who builds boards might know the answer.
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2019, 05:17:16 AM »
my vented plugs have never caused a problem--of course, i dont touch them or mess with them

and i have never rinsed a board, ever---and put them in my bags all salty and wet--no problem ever

i weigh all my boards with a good digital baby scale---so if i saw a vent bubbling, i'd get that board directly to the scale to see wuttup

the bubbling could just be normal pressure relief--somthing id want to rule out before messing with and potentially actually damaging the vent

my fanatic aw has a non-vented plug--a relative hassle--gotta adjust before and after flights, and lose it? or over torgue the o-ring? problemo!

never touched my vented plugs--never a hassle--never a problem

could be im just a lucky man (i am)
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

washingtonsurfer

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2019, 09:10:59 PM »
my vented plugs have never caused a problem--of course, i dont touch them or mess with them

and i have never rinsed a board, ever---and put them in my bags all salty and wet--no problem ever

i weigh all my boards with a good digital baby scale---so if i saw a vent bubbling, i'd get that board directly to the scale to see wuttup

the bubbling could just be normal pressure relief--somthing id want to rule out before messing with and potentially actually damaging the vent

my fanatic aw has a non-vented plug--a relative hassle--gotta adjust before and after flights, and lose it? or over torgue the o-ring? problemo!

never touched my vented plugs--never a hassle--never a problem

could be im just a lucky man (i am)
The board weighed 25 lbs without fins. Online says it should weigh a little over 20 lbs. 5lbs of water seems like enough water that it would almost pour out if I pulled the plug out and tipped it upside down.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2019, 09:23:01 PM by washingtonsurfer »

blueplanetsurf

• Site Sponsor
  • Teahupoo Status
  • Hawaii's SUP HQ
    • View Profile
    • Blue Planet Surf
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2019, 12:39:42 AM »
Sometimes vent plugs fail and need to be replaced, probably the membrane is compromised.  It's rare but we see it occasionally.
I would let the board fully dry out in a hot/ dry place but not in direct sun and then install a new vent plug.
Robert Stehlik
Blue Planet Surf Shop, Honolulu
Hawaii's SUP HQ
http://www.blueplanetsurf.com

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2019, 01:37:56 AM »
The water won't pour out. The open cell foam holds it like a sponge.
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300

washingtonsurfer

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2019, 07:50:31 AM »
Sometimes vent plugs fail and need to be replaced, probably the membrane is compromised.  It's rare but we see it occasionally.
I would let the board fully dry out in a hot/ dry place but not in direct sun and then install a new vent plug.
Where would be a good place to let it dry out? It's barely reaching 70° throughout the day where I live in Washington. Inside by a window? Inside my vehicle? (Those are the only hot areas that aren't direct sunlight) Should I leave it vent side up or down? Sorry for all the newbie questions I just dont want to cause any further damage to the board.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2019, 07:58:36 AM by washingtonsurfer »

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal