Author Topic: Hand Tied Leash / Repair a Broken Leash  (Read 9026 times)

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Hand Tied Leash / Repair a Broken Leash
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2019, 08:41:39 AM »
With winter comes bigger waves.  Having broken my leash several times I am now interested in a better leash design.

Does anyone know where to source the 5/16”, 11/32” or larger diameter surfing grade polyurethane cord?

I have been having a very difficult time finding the source for polyurethane leash material on the web.  I found one type that appears to be close, but slightly softer and more stretchy.  I would assume that this material could be acquired easily but haven’t found any immediate sources.

I asked the same question 7 years ago and have never found an answer or a source.

From here: https://www.standupzone.com/forum/index.php/topic,18684.msg178910.html#msg178910

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2019, 08:43:33 AM »
Wetstuff provided me with a 200' roll of the red cord that I have been using for more than 5 years to make my leashes.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2019, 01:03:39 PM »
Umm, seriously? Google it. Polyurethane cord is used as a belt for power transmission. You can get it from McMaster-Carr or a zillion other places.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2019, 02:56:56 PM »
Umm, seriously? Google it. Polyurethane cord is used as a belt for power transmission. You can get it from McMaster-Carr or a zillion other places.

I gave up hunting years ago.  Googled it, bought the stuff from McMaster Carr.  It was more elastic than typical leash material.  Felt more like a rubber band.  I agree this stuff should be widely available but it is hard to find in bulk with the right elastic profile, durometer hardness, uv resistance . .

Pono:  You were on these threads -->
https://www.standupzone.com/forum/index.php/topic,18684.msg179039.html#msg179039
« Last Edit: May 12, 2019, 02:59:25 PM by Beasho »

FRP

• Bob
  • Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2021, 06:10:31 PM »
Winter coming. The surf here on the west coast of Vancouver Island has been big the last couple of weeks. In the summer I broke a leash plug on my Speeed and had it replaced. Decided to add a back up stick on leash plug. Today shoulder to head high and broke a leash. Good time take a close look at all my safety gear. I use Leash Lok Hawaii waist leashes. The leash was perhaps 2 years old. The swim in was only a couple of hundred meters and no drama. There were perhaps 60 surfers in the water and fortunately my board didn’t hit anyone on its way to shore. I was the only SUP surfer out. Amazing how popular surfing has become during the pandemic. Cheers Bob
« Last Edit: October 28, 2021, 06:12:19 PM by FRP »
Sunova 8'10" Speeed
Sunova 8’7” Creek
Sunova 9’x30” Revolution
KeNalu Konihi 84 (primary paddle)
Kialoa Pipes II
Werner Nitro Carbon

"The time spent surfing is time that is added to my life" “In the ocean we are all connected”
Anon

finbox

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2021, 07:57:20 PM »
Try Samson, AmSteel-Blue Rope is a Dyneema HMPE fiber in a 12-Strand Single Braid a 18" diameter breaking strength is 2,300 lbs - it is used on boats and UV resistant and more cut resistant than nylon. I have it as the leash rope loop to my boards.
Also make sure to round the edges on the factory plugs to get rid of the sharp edges.
I found Dakine has a big wave leash 7/16"x 12' with a  2year warranty https://www.dakine.com/products/peahi-12-7-16-surf-leash-w-clip - for the less handy foiler

FRP

• Bob
  • Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2021, 08:35:44 PM »
Thanks Finbox

That Dakine leash looks robust at 11 mm thick! My heaviest Leashlok is 9 mm and the leash I broke is 8 mm. If I break the 9 mm leash I will try the Dakine. I can't imagine that I could break that leash. I am not a big guy but the forces generated on these large boards must be huge.

Cheers

Bob
Sunova 8'10" Speeed
Sunova 8’7” Creek
Sunova 9’x30” Revolution
Kialoa Pipes II
Werner Nitro Carbon

"The time spent surfing is time that is added to my life" “In the ocean we are all connected”
Anon

jondrums

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 28, 2021, 10:15:35 PM »
If you need an on-the-water leash repair - learn to tie a double-uni knot or blood knot (can use 2 wraps instead of 4).  Both work well to keep you going if you have a long enough leash to start.  I've done this a half dozen times over the years.   

I am now making my own leashes but have never found the right cord-stock.  And no, you can't buy the right stuff on mcmaster carr.  If anyone finds a source for good stock, please let me know.  I buy 9 or 10ft leashes .313" or 8mm and cut off the ends.  So far the XM have been working the best - the cord itself is extruded in their factory in San Clemente.

To make your own hand tied leashes, the double sheet bend works great.  I use 6mm parachute cord doubled up to make a loop on both ends.  This picture shows how the knot looks.  I wrap some electrical tape around afterwards to clean it up.

FRP

• Bob
  • Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 29, 2021, 04:57:59 PM »
Thanks Jondrums

I tried the double-uni knot for joining the broken 8mm leash ends. It is not pretty but it did work. It took about 1.5-2 feet off the length of the leash. When my leash broke the board headed to shore leaving me to swim but if I was surfing on a reef I might have been able to collect the board and join the broken ends. 

Cheers

Bob
« Last Edit: October 29, 2021, 05:04:18 PM by FRP »
Sunova 8'10" Speeed
Sunova 8’7” Creek
Sunova 9’x30” Revolution
Kialoa Pipes II
Werner Nitro Carbon

Anon

jondrums

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 29, 2021, 09:27:40 PM »
Oh - cool.  That knot totally works, but I guess I didn't know the exact name for what I'm using.  A double overhand knot maybe would be a better way to describe it - takes quite a bit less leash length.

I broke a leash on a huge day at Ocean Beach and luckily got to my board pretty quick.  I tried grabbing a wave in and wiped out only to lost my board again.  So instead I paddled back outside and sat on the board and made this repair.  It worked well enough that I decided to stay out a while longer and then surfed it for the next month on smaller days.  I've used the same knot a handful of times to rescue a session.

Here's a pic of the exact knot that saved me at big OB, cinches up tight and holds.

Yeah, I'm a knot nerd.  I taught knot tying for boy scouts as a camp counselor for a couple summers.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2021, 09:29:58 PM by jondrums »

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal