Author Topic: Navy SEAL charged with war crimes  (Read 2837 times)

surf4food

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Navy SEAL charged with war crimes
« on: May 01, 2019, 06:36:34 PM »
Anyone been following this?  https://www.navytimes.com/news/your-navy/2019/04/29/what-happens-to-seals-who-testify-about-war-crimes/

The actual trial will take place in the building right next to where my office is.

outcast

• Peahi Status
  • Ambassador for Nihilistic Surf
    • View Profile
Re: Navy SEAL charged with war crimes
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2019, 07:18:18 PM »
We have asked too much of these guys.

That article does not capture the sum of this man's career.

"Innocent until proven guilty"   but I don't think any of us can imagine what that means when someone has been repeatedly immersed in warfare for so long.....

I am extremely grateful to Chief Gallagher, and I feel like we failed him no matter what happened....
Too many for the rack
Some in the shack
Some under decks
Some have straps

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2019, 05:15:15 AM »
Ya, it's tricky...  When his own guys take plinking shots at civilians to get them to run, because he is randomly killing them, maybe it was time to bring him back.  I'm sure there's a saturation point.  ...but, then how do you continue the longest war in history and not burn out your troops. 

Jim
Atlantis Mistress .. Blue Planet MultiTasker ..   Atlantis Venom

surf4food

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2019, 05:17:02 AM »
I'm grateful too for what these guys do and go through, but I don't think that gives them free reign to go rogue.  While the 15 year old kid Chief Gallagher allegedly stabbed to death was an ISIS fighter, he was still just a 15 year old kid and a prisoner who was being treated medically by Navy HMs.  AND holding a reenlistment ceremony over the body?  And the civilians he supposedly knowingly killed?  I don't know if he's guilty or not of any or all charges and if he is I'm not sure what to think.  I did 20 years in the Navy but not in any special force units like the SEALS or EOD and have never experienced boots on the ground war so I feel uneasy about judging anyone who has but just the same I don't think they get a free pass.  All I can say is wait and see.

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2019, 05:25:48 AM »
gallagher was clearly a murderous problem during his 8th deployment--who knows what he did previously, but where 7 seals during gallagher's 8th deployment, under his command, said "enough is enough", that means something---and i am more concerned for them than gallagher, let alone those he killed in cold blood for no good reason--

and the 8 seals arent libtard pussies, they're the best of the best of our military and it took serious balls for them to stand up for what was right

gallagher? yeah he served his country, and yeah he has been a serious fighter for us, but there are many in our military who behave with integrity and decency and remain very effective--like the young seals who who stood up for integrity and decency, and reported gallagher for his indiscrimate murderous conduct--and risked their careers (and lives) to do so

could this be the first group who had the balls to stand up to this guy? had he always been a murderous bully with those under his command? or could he have been a good guy who snapped? not sure--but i cant support a guy who murders indiscriminately in an American uniform--and where 7 of his own platoon stood up to this guy, in the face of serious shit, that goes on to this day (they are death-threatened regularly)--because they couldnt stand behind murder--those are the honorable men who I care about and feel compelled to thank

now if gallagher was a good guy, who finally snapped after years of carrying the good torch, that should certainly be considered as he is prosecuted for his war crimes---but if he's always been as he was during his 8th deployment, i have no sympathy for him--not when we have thousands of good men and women who put their lives at risk to defend us, including navy seals, and other special operations entities, without engaging indiscriminate murder in our name

like i say, the seals who said "enough" to this guys murderous ways, are some of the very best in our military--and theyre not libtards like me--theyre the guys i thank--and theyre going thru hell as i write

https://www.businessinsider.com/seal-accused-of-war-crimes-allegedly-threatened-to-kill-teammates-2019-4
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/04/23/us/navy-seals-crimes-of-war.html
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

surf4food

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2019, 07:46:24 AM »
and the 8 seals arent libtard pussies, they're the best of the best of our military and it took serious balls for them to stand up for what was right

That's the thing that irks me to no end.  You are right and it kills me how so many politicize this and other war crimes or even the military in general.  I always like to remind those who use terms like "libtard" of the fact that there ARE liberals who serve in the military.  Lots of them.  There's no valid reason for anyone to not be aware of that.  Also, war crimes are not a matter of liberal vs. conservative.

outcast

• Peahi Status
  • Ambassador for Nihilistic Surf
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2019, 10:16:58 AM »
I hear and agree with all of the above..

My fear is that that this was a very honorable man who lost touch with everything he held dear....and broke with reality

Not sure I am qualified to judge, but I have seen repeated horrific stresses cause complete disintegration in some folks.

If he was a murderous guy from the get go, then I'm sad it took so long to unmask. 
Too many for the rack
Some in the shack
Some under decks
Some have straps

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2019, 05:35:39 AM »
i appreciate you openness to contrary thoughts, OC

might be i shd follow your example abit!!  we all need to hear better the thoughts of folk who disagree--and i can concede i need to take the prog dem glasses off and see with open mind

I wrote a term paper on the my lai massacre in HS, and read the recent howard jones book, so this story caught my attention
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2019, 05:58:28 AM »
eb,  Was there not a movement to turn Lt. Calley into a hero?  ...a song?  I do not think we as a society enjoy accepting Abu Ghraib, 'colored drinking fountains', or mass shootings as part of our cultural nature. 

Partially, because I have a great dog - I love that new bumper sticker: "Be the person your dog thinks you are."

Jim, ex-Army

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2019, 08:10:21 AM »
... I love that new bumper sticker: "Be the person your dog thinks you are."

Right on Jim!

RideTheGlide

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2019, 09:30:38 AM »
... I love that new bumper sticker: "Be the person your dog thinks you are."

Right on Jim!
Wag more, bark less.  ;D
2017 GoPlus 9'9"
2018 Hydro-Force fastblast 12'6"
2019 BKC 12'

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2019, 12:18:21 PM »
thank you for your service, wet

i am a big believer that we need military people heavily involved in all foreign policy processes---guys whove seen action and been responsible for kids who theyve been able to get home ok, and kids who got killed and damaged, shd have a big say in whether we engage war

makes me nervous, a guy like john bolton getting all hawkish, when he avoided the vietnam draft by joining the national guard--he had a low lottery number and didnt want to go anywhere near action--tough guy!!

same with our pres, whose dad paid a storefront podiatrist in queens to diagnose his "bonespurs"--tough guy!!

interesting that bolton and john kerry both went to yale--kerry enlisted immediately after college and saw decent action in vietnam, when he could have gone right to goldman sachs or yale law school--

of course bolton went directly to yale law school after college, followed by 10 years of top pay law work at one of DC's most famous law firms

and of course john kerry got swiftboated!  whatever....

me? there was no war/draft in the late 70's, tho i have to admit id have been just as scared as pres bonespurs to serve--but im not advocating invading iran--and i will listen carefully to wet re matters military

Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2019, 06:09:19 AM »
eb,  Ya, I get a little pissy when I see all these 'better you than me' types show up in the headlines and positions of leadership.  Somehow it's almost engraved in political stone: Those who send - typically were unwilling themselves. It seems the 'louder the voice' - the harder they worked to avoid service.  Guys like Dick Cheney come to mind...

Shit, my life was easy. My battalion was ready to bring 5kT of nuclear fire if the E. German border was breached. The rest of the time was a European vacation for some ignorant young guy from the Midwest.  It was the poor bastards that came after me that—headed to Asia. I am curious about actual combat but don't know how well I would have stood up under that pressure.

Jim 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal