Author Topic: Downwind Foiling Pop Up Tips  (Read 3434 times)

J.Riggs

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Downwind Foiling Pop Up Tips
« on: May 01, 2019, 12:35:02 PM »
Learning to pop up on the foil is the hardest thing I've had to learn in the world of downwind paddling. I've been at it for a little over a year now and I'm starting to find some techniques that help to get lifted. Hope this video helps anyone that wants to foil downwind.

https://youtu.be/9qP996HhxJA

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
Re: Downwind Foiling Pop Up Tips
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2019, 01:07:59 PM »
Thanks. Good stuff

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2019, 01:08:04 PM »
Awesome breakdown Jeremy! Does any of it applies if I want to practice lift in dead flat water?
in progress...

JEG

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2019, 04:20:51 PM »
thanks J.Riggs  8)

J.Riggs

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2019, 12:10:55 PM »
Awesome breakdown Jeremy! Does any of it applies if I want to practice lift in dead flat water?

I've only popped up on flat water twice and I used the same technique. It took about 20 sprint strokes to pop up and it was hard on my shoulders so I stopped trying. I recommend a good shoulder warm up routine before attempting to pop up in flat water. There are a few kids that are able to do it with less strokes. I'll try to get video of them next time I see them practicing.

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2019, 01:11:53 PM »
That would be awesome!
Do you think a different wing setup would be better for flat water popup than the usual one you're using for surf or downwind?
If yes, which setup works better? Thx
in progress...

supfoo

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2019, 02:08:13 PM »
My biggest issue with popping up in flat water is paddle speed. I dont know how Ill ever do it as fast as they do. Is paddle speed something you worked on or were you fast to begin with?

JEG

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2019, 02:41:17 PM »
this will be fun to try and practice the flat paddle take off, not  ;D

peterp

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2019, 10:43:19 PM »
My biggest issue with popping up in flat water is paddle speed. I dont know how Ill ever do it as fast as they do. Is paddle speed something you worked on or were you fast to begin with?

Uhhmmm - dat Mr. Riggs is/was always fast.....

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2019, 07:43:22 PM »
Don't know why I didn't see this vid until last night, but so glad I did!! Had real meager conditions today (knee to thigh high at best) perfect to practice this with...and holy cow...IT WORKS INCREDIBLY!! Was able to get into just about anything I turned for, and it got to the point that I was turning for just about anything just to see how small I could go, and 90%+ success on many I would have never been able to pump into yesterday (Iwa w/Maliko stab)...and then when the "wave" died out into nothing...this front leg/foot push w/accompanying paddle kept me flying on literally the littlest of bump that was barely even visible. Thank you, thank you, thank you Jeremy. 

EDIT: Didn't try pumping back out w/it yet, and while I'm not sure I'd have the old man stamina to actually pull it off...I now have a renewed desire to at least give it another try once again. But think I'll let the flat water starts to the youngsters far more paddle talented than I.  :o :D
« Last Edit: May 10, 2019, 07:47:40 PM by SanoSlatchSup »
Me: 6'1"/185...(2) 5'1" Kings Foil/Wing Boards...7'10 Kings DW Board...9'6" Bob Pearson "Laird Noserider"...14' Lahui Kai "Manta"...8'0" WaveStorm if/when the proning urges still hit.

frenchfoiler

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2019, 09:12:47 PM »
Front foot strap helps a lot too. Light board is also a key factor.

For flat water, I think the big wings such as the GF Maliko280 or Axis1020 are the best way to learn.

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2019, 10:12:30 PM »
Front foot strap helps a lot too. Light board is also a key factor.
Good point...I have both.
Me: 6'1"/185...(2) 5'1" Kings Foil/Wing Boards...7'10 Kings DW Board...9'6" Bob Pearson "Laird Noserider"...14' Lahui Kai "Manta"...8'0" WaveStorm if/when the proning urges still hit.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal