Author Topic: SAD NEWS--Sunny Garcia  (Read 12492 times)

RideTheGlide

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: SAD NEWS--Sunny Garcia
« Reply #30 on: May 08, 2019, 08:41:27 AM »
I have had more trouble with alcohol while off meds than on. I have currently been on meds for just over two years and haven't had a drink in just under two years. I don't even have to fight any urges; it's like magic. Coincidence? Not likely. I want to stay alcohol free because of the way the odds play out for older people with drinking problems. I also feel the urge to get off meds and have had numerous cycles of doing exactly that and pretty quickly get wild mood swings and alcohol cravings. I consciously know this and still want to believe I am better and I can stop taking meds.
2017 GoPlus 9'9"
2018 Hydro-Force fastblast 12'6"
2019 BKC 12'

LBsup

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 08, 2019, 11:07:01 AM »
I have had more trouble with alcohol while off meds than on. I have currently been on meds for just over two years and haven't had a drink in just under two years. I don't even have to fight any urges; it's like magic. Coincidence? Not likely. I want to stay alcohol free because of the way the odds play out for older people with drinking problems. I also feel the urge to get off meds and have had numerous cycles of doing exactly that and pretty quickly get wild mood swings and alcohol cravings. I consciously know this and still want to believe I am better and I can stop taking meds.
Interesting.  I’m sure different type of meds effect people in different ways.  Celexa is a SSRI med which raises the serotonin level I believe similar to alcohol from what I’ve read.
Black Project Texcarbon, 85 blade, 69
8’10 Sunova Ghost, 137L

RideTheGlide

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: May 08, 2019, 11:58:34 AM »
Interesting.  I’m sure different type of meds effect people in different ways.  Celexa is a SSRI med which raises the serotonin level I believe similar to alcohol from what I’ve read.
I know about SSRI meds; it's a common way that BP2 is diagnosed. I was depressed so they gave me SSRIs and they made me hypomanic instead. It's irritable impatient hypomania, which is no fun. Left to my own devices unmedicated I get depressed more often than hypo, but at least the hypomania is usually the happy puppy kind.
2017 GoPlus 9'9"
2018 Hydro-Force fastblast 12'6"
2019 BKC 12'

Weasels wake

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 24, 2019, 09:39:14 AM »
He's still fighting for survival.

From yesterday ~
HONOLULU (KHON2) - Sunny Garcia headed to surgery Thursday morning for a Trach/PEG, according to his daughter's Instagram page, @kailakgarcia.
Kaila Garcia has given updates via IG since the World Champion surfer was hospitalized in Oregon last month.
Few details were disclosed as to what put Sunny Garcia in the hospital. However, Kaila stated that he remains "in the ICU and very critical and still on life support."

I had to look up Trach/PEG ~
"Facts About Tracheostomy and PEG. A PEG is an endoscopically guided feeding tube placed through the skin of the abdomen directly into the stomach. The main indication for PEG placement is the inability to swallow properly, which can occur due to medical illness or prolonged oral intubation for mechanical ventilation."

I like to think that it's because of the prolonged ventilation only, and not because of additional problems because he tried to hang himself, but that's still undisclosed.
It takes a quiver to do that.

spirit4earth

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 24, 2019, 04:18:34 PM »
My guess is he's on life support due to an extended period of oxygen deprivation.  Basically, he's on life support.  Usually not a great outcome from that.

Weasels wake

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 18, 2019, 10:17:46 AM »
An update ~
https://www.surfline.com/surf-news/sunny-garcia-update-speaking-words-physical-therapy/63149?fbclid=IwAR1X8hP2XGUOZuvh6QM14ZWcq_F9xO1qhFeWy4kwE-tOuOTPBar5QansnGY

Well wishes are coming in from all over the world hoping for a speedy recovery, and I am as well, but.....
I'm having a hard time looking at that pic, he always struck me as a man with a lot of pride, which you can have at the same time as you are suffering from depression. That makes me wonder if he is really happy now that people are trying to save him, especially in his current state, assuming he's aware of it (something I don't know).
It conflicts me, greatly.
It takes a quiver to do that.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal