Author Topic: Mellow Wave Destinations  (Read 12021 times)

PabstSUP

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
Re: Mellow Wave Destinations
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2020, 02:00:37 PM »
+1 on Nosara. It's a great area, there are a bunch of great AirBnB/VRBO's for rent there, great variety of restaurants and a fun Surfer/Yogi vibe to the town, though definitely not the high-end spa experience you might want from a south shore Maui or Ritz Carlton Residences in Punta Mita.  You aren't going to get skunked on waves and there are also reef breaks both to the South (Right point very close by) and north (left point within an hr) that light up when the Guiones beach break gets too large. Just make sure you rent a proper 4WD vehicle as getting around can be challenging. The Blue Zone folks are even foiling as well as SUPing now if that's your bag. Can't wait to get back there.

Hobie Raw 8'11
Sunova Flow 8'4"
Sunova Speeed 8'10
SIC Bullet 14' ASS

SUP Leave

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2020, 09:25:58 AM »
So we did decide on CR and probably Tamarindo area. There is a lot of people so we had to make some concessions, but the place we are staying is about a couple blocks off the beach south of Witches Rock.

Stoked!
Make paddleboarding great again!

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2020, 06:17:15 AM »
SL,  ' When going?  Where do you depart from?   ...lucky bugger!

Jim
Atlantis Mistress .. Blue Planet MultiTasker ..   Atlantis Venom

SUP Leave

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2020, 06:20:21 AM »
Not until next June 2021. It is a senior trip for my oldest daughter. A bunch of her friends and their families are going as well. Something like 40 people.

So, I will be in charge of all surf related entertainment. Most of the kids have been surfing with us before, so they all have a little bit of ability. They made me promise to take them as much as possible between March and June so they are ready for it.
Make paddleboarding great again!

miker

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2020, 10:21:16 AM »
Having owned property and houses for 25 years in Mexico, I would not take my young family there now. Sure it could be great but before you go ckeck Baja Pony Express.com. Shit is happening on almost a daily basis. If you can afford to go to Puamana forget about Mexico. Sad but True.....

My wife and I spent 4 months last year travelling around Mexico in our Pontiac Vibe pulling a 13' travel trailer.  Everything was great the whole time we were there.  I speak fairly good Spanish and talk to the police in every town and city we went to in order to get an idea of which neighborhoods to avoid since I like to take late night walks when it's cooler out and want to stay in safe areas when I do so.  In almost every town or city we went to they said the whole city is safe, with maybe one or two colonias that are best avoided.  In down town Guadalajara, for example, they said anywhere I could walk to in 2 hours or so was safe except the Plaza Mariachis, which should be avoided after dark.  In Puerto Vallarta it was the two colonias inland from zona romantica just past the tunnels.

My mom winters every year in Mazatlan for 25 years and has never had a problem.  The only reason she isn't going right now is coronavirus.  People on the "On the road in Mexico" FB group say things are still fine, as to those in the "Talk Baja" and "Talk Baja Road Conditions" groups.

miker

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2020, 10:27:54 AM »
I suppose I should also give an answer to the OP's question:

I hit a number of mellow surf spots in Mexico last year.  The area South of San Blas was super mellow but very small when I was there in January (Knee high maybe).  Boca de Iguanas North of la Manzanilla same thing.  I've had nice waves between Punta de Mita and La Cruz de Huanacaxtle at La Lancha (coral reef break - fall flat, lost a bit of skin).  Sayulita's nice if it's not crowded.  Playa Bruja at the North end of Mazatlan varies, but is probably too big for beginners much of the time.  San Juanico (aka Scorpion Bay) is great if there are waves, but in Winter it's often too small.  When it's right it's possibly the best in North America.  Unfortunately, it's a very small village without a lot of amenities.  Todos Santos is a beach break and is often beginner friendly and often too big.

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
« Reply #21 on: November 23, 2020, 12:26:10 PM »
Ok....here's info straight from the gound in MEX.

Cynthia Brown
3:04 PM (15 minutes ago)

to me

Winter time he should go to Todos Santos. Cerritos beach.

Cynthis Brown is a team rider for a number of labels and split her time (lucky her) between MEX, HI and the Gorge.

Jim

Atlantis Mistress .. Blue Planet MultiTasker ..   Atlantis Venom

marvinhecht

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2020, 02:47:48 PM »

Looks like you decided (great) but I was going to suggest Waikiki (Honolulu, Oahu)? (We lived there for 5.5 years. My favorite wave is Populars, in front of the Sheraton - nice slow mellow rollers. And of course canoes right in front of everything - every wave is a party wave and newb's are welcome. You may be able to get onto Queens on the left as you have better skill - I could only do that on rainy weekdays when it wasn't busy. You could also take the family for a catamaran ride. Down in front of Starbucks is where the kids (and some adults) bodyboard, always has some waves. Apparently the McDonalds had to stop using trays - too many kids would take them to bodyboard on :)

Sounds like your choice is great, we may also go to Costa Rica for our next vacation, per my other thread in this topic people are recommending Nosara over Doria, although the resot in Diria looks cool!
10"6 x 29" Gerry Lopez Big Darlin Surftech SUP
GL1 and GL2 quads
Hoe Nalu Carbon Paddle (Surfing)
QuickBlade 86 Trifeca Carbon Paddle (Flatwater)

* Recent Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal