Author Topic: Mellow Wave Destinations  (Read 12068 times)

SUP Leave

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Mellow Wave Destinations
« on: May 01, 2019, 09:39:34 AM »
My family vacations are typically based on being able to surf. Now that my kids are older (3 daughters 16, 13 and 11) and getting into it more, they have a lot more opinions as to what kind of wave they want. Me, I love variety on surf vacation. I like to longboard, SUP and will try some medium length boards too.

For the most part the kids want slow rolling longboard type waves. We don't have these here in WA very much so they really like that. Every other year or so we go to Maui in the end of June, which is peak south swell season. We have always scored and Maui covers every base above. We stay at Puamana.  My kids love Olowalu, Launiopoko, and Cove Park down in Kihei. Mama, however, is not a surfer and she is starting to ask if we would rather try somewhere else next time.

Any suggestions for that kind of variety? At Puamana I can wake up and get a full out session before anyone else has their eyes open.

Is there anywhere comparable to Maui for that kind of variety? I'm not opposed to other Hawaiian Islands, CONUS or Mex. I am opposed to cold water, we have that here. Although we take a surf trip to OR every summer -  my kids absolutely love Otter Rock in OR, mellow break over a sand bottom is a kid favorite.
Make paddleboarding great again!

supnsurf

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
Re: Mellow Wave Destinations
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2019, 09:52:52 AM »
So Cal has a lot of mellow spots from San o all the way down to San diego . lots of spots
Rawson 8'8" Impala

L41 8'8"

APPST_Paddle

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2019, 11:16:55 AM »
Nosara - Costa Rica, smaller/easier in the U.S. winter months, offshore everyday. Good spot for families.
7'6" JL Super Frank Lean
8'2" JL SuperTech 
10'1" JL Black and Blue
14' BIC WS Tracer
6'5" JL Flying-V/GoFoil Maliko 200
Kenalu Ho'oloa 95, Werner Rip Stick 79

Dusk Patrol

• Teahupoo Status
  • PNW
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2019, 01:52:27 PM »
Kauai

Check out Tyler M's excellently timed Hanalei report. There are shore breaks and reef breaks, the former being mellow and family friendly.

And on the other end of the island, basically in Lihue, is Kalapaki beach, with a Marriott siting conveniently on shore. It can be awesome with south (I think) swells.   
RS 14x26; JL Destroyers 9'8 & 8'10; BluePlanet 9'4; JL Super Frank 8'6

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2019, 02:24:00 PM »
SL,  I have been jonesing for this particular wave (Mantanchen Bay near San Blas, Mexico) for a while   ...'jes that I could be in Portugal in about the same amount of time and $$.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rgxige4JrCE

Jim
Atlantis Mistress .. Blue Planet MultiTasker ..   Atlantis Venom

Rider

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2019, 02:51:35 PM »
Leave....for the conditions you are describing it will be hard to beat Puamana. The wife and I have stayed there a few times and surf somewhere every day. The break right in front can be great. Dawn Patrol Heaven. Never stayed in the beachfront units but that would be awesome. We always make new friends on the tennis courts.

SUP Leave

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2019, 03:50:34 PM »
Yeah, I mean I am trying to imagine a better set up than Puamana for a travelling surfer. I just take whole advantage of being on PST and wake up with the chickens for some of the most beautiful morning sessions I have had. I even had Pools all to myself at dawn on a day that was maxed out for me (prone). Fast and steep.

With HWY 30 right outside the door, and the plethora of S. Swell spots within 10 min drive it  is going to be hard to convince me otherwise.

We will likely go to SoCal next spring, but it is usually not trunk weather that time of year.

p06781

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2019, 04:35:21 PM »
Consider Punta Mita Mx ?  Lots of wave choices and good in the summer .  Do an airbnb in the 4 seasons/St regis complex ?  Look for Las Terrazas complex . Summer is low season so you can great a great condo with golfcart , mx cook, and access to their beach clubs for not too much .  I jump off the pier and surf the breaks off the st regis ? where if you are in town you need a panga ride. But in town there are 3 decent breaks ...ancholte , stinkys , and la launcha .

My fav is https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/21876408?guests=1&adults=1

lots more in here , amazing value
« Last Edit: May 01, 2019, 04:38:03 PM by p06781 »

Rider

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2019, 07:24:58 PM »
Having owned property and houses for 25 years in Mexico, I would not take my young family there now. Sure it could be great but before you go ckeck Baja Pony Express.com. Shit is happening on almost a daily basis. If you can afford to go to Puamana forget about Mexico. Sad but True.....

outcast

• Peahi Status
  • Ambassador for Nihilistic Surf
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2019, 07:33:36 PM »
Nosara had the allure for my similar aged teens.
Except that we had 6' at 16 seconds for like  5 days straight, and all i could do was hang outside and play lifeguard.....
They got mad skills out of the deal, and actually did great...., but it was not restful for me ....I would catch an occaisonal wave when i thought they were safe

Would go back, that was a bit of a freak...but for my $,  Maui makes way more sense.  we lived there, so it's all  familiar...the travel time/hassle is about the same for me.

Drop The Mom off at the spa

We had fun in Puerto Rico...Rincon was good   
Too many for the rack
Some in the shack
Some under decks
Some have straps

seadart

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2019, 09:00:51 AM »
Honestly San Diego is not very good in the Spring, lately we have coastal eddies all spring that generate onshore winds.   NW swell is dying out and the southern hemisphere has not picked up yet.  San O is pretty much dead unless we get a good pulse of swell.  The May Grey came early this year and the last two years we have had fairly major rain events throughout the spring.  After a rain storm you don't want to surf at places like Cardiff Reef or Tourmanline and some other mellow spots because of serious bacteria levels in the run off.  Costa Rica, Maui or New Zealand sound good to me.

SUP Leave

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2019, 10:47:57 AM »
I agree, we have done San Diego for spring break 2 years ago and the weather wasn't very good. The surfing wasn't either. We stayed at the gitchy "Surfer" hotel in Pacific Beach, which was a lot of fun and I could surf a few piers within walking distance. We mostly visit family during the spring break trip to SoCal.

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2019, 08:33:42 PM »
Costa Rica has beaches facing every direction in the northern region. You can find protection with a short drive or boat.

Hanalei is flat in summer. Probably ok in Spring.

Every island has a South Shore, right? I love Waikiki myself. Crowds and noise and all. It reminds me of Asia. 

SoCal sucks in Spring and the water is freezing.

Mexico is a great Spring/Summer option.

Don’t get complacent. Explore.

SUP Leave

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2020, 11:16:54 AM »
Circling back on this old thread.

Obviously we skipped Puamana this year and next year (end June) is senior trip for my 17 year old. She and her friends all want to do Costa Rica, which is great. That means lots of surfing. I get put in charge of where at in Costa Rica and the same applies. Most of the parents will be renting VRBOs in the area. So I get to choose the beach/town.

Same applies:

Mellow beach or reef break
Beginner area- I will be helping a few kids learn to surf on this trip.
Bars and restaurants.

Later I will want tips for who to contact for a boat trip out to better spots.

Caribsurf

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2020, 11:54:51 AM »
I think the Nosara area like "Outcast" suggested earlier is a good spot and will suit everyone. Family friendly place, SUP friendly, schools if anyone needs lessons.  The surf there would suit most and friendly waves    Other spots in CR have great surf but some heavy beach beach breaks

My friend and his family head to Nosara annually and have for the last 8 years.  I spent a day there years ago when traveling and would go back for sure.  More there now and AIRBNBs etc
Hobie Raw 8'10"
Jimmy Lewis Kwad 8'7"
Naish Hover 95 liter 5'7"
F-One Rocket foil board 5'5" 90 liters
Fanatic Aero 1250, 1500, 1750 HA foils
CabrinhaMantis 3.5, 4m 5m. F-One Strike 7m CWC
Hobie 14' race board

* Recent Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal