Author Topic: Elbow pain  (Read 3741 times)

Tyler M

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Elbow pain
« on: April 30, 2019, 06:45:56 PM »
I just returned from 9 days in Hanalei on family vacation.
Most days I SUP surfed hard for 2 hours in the morning and 2 hours in the evening. Mid days were for family time, siestas, prone surfing with the kids, etc.

Like most of my SUP heavy vacations, my elbows both end up with great, deep pain by day 4 or 5. It only occurs while out paddling and usually completely disappears a few days after the trip. The pain while out SUP surfing is strong enough that I’m usually forced to head in early.

Does anyone else suffer from this? I suspect I’m gripping my paddle too tightly. It’s a Werner rip stick- very stiff.  Perhaps I’m just going too hard at it after not paddling much recently.

L41 or Infinity boards around 100 liters

seadart

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
Re: Elbow pain
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2019, 07:03:07 PM »
Elbow pain in paddle sports is usually due to gripping the paddle too tightly, and forcing the paddle too hard.  It might be that the paddle is too stiff but more likely other joints would be complaining.  Work on finessing the stroke; you can also try a smaller blade.  Sometimes paddle shaft diameter plays a role but I doubt it with the paddle you are using. 

FRP

• Bob
  • Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2019, 07:20:27 PM »
Tyler

To reduce grip force when paddling consider using a paddle wax. You can then lightly grip the paddle and still have a powerful stroke. This is the wax that I have been using for a couple of months. Good product.

Bob

https://images.app.goo.gl/WubJ7WRkFtN6udjT6
Sunova 8'10" Speeed
Sunova 8’7” Creek
Sunova 9’x30” Revolution
KeNalu Konihi 84 (primary paddle)
Kialoa Pipes II
Werner Nitro Carbon

"The time spent surfing is time that is added to my life" “In the ocean we are all connected”
Anon

Rider

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2019, 07:30:02 PM »
Tyler M, I feel your pain. I did the exact same thing for a couple years. One year the waves were so good that I stayed out all day. Really, the wife was calling me in for lunch and I just shined her on. The more she screamed, the better my elbows felt. Iit hasen’t been a problem lately as we haven’t been back. 8)

seadart

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2019, 08:08:35 PM »
You can also just use surfboard wax, works just fine if you choose the right wax for water temps.

I also learned to open my grip when pushing the paddle first with the top hand then with the bottom hand during the recovery portion of the stroke, hard to explain how to do it, but once you get the feel it helps keep the tendons from overtightening. The compression bands work for ECRB pain but not a good idea to overdue and keep paddling while it hurts. 

Tyler M

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2019, 08:47:50 PM »
Thanks all.

I’ll try the wax.
I’m pretty sure that my fierce grip is compensating for my lack of fitness and desperation to not miss a good passing wave.

3 days out from vacation and I’m noticing that my fingers are sore as well. The elbows are on the mend.

L41 or Infinity boards around 100 liters

APPST_Paddle

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2019, 03:34:09 AM »
It can also stem from subcap issues in your shoulder moving down through your bicep into your elbow. That has been my issue occasionally which came from too stiff a paddle and/or too large a paddle blade.

I've moved to a small diameter paddle which helps considerably.
7'6" JL Super Frank Lean
8'2" JL SuperTech 
10'1" JL Black and Blue
14' BIC WS Tracer
6'5" JL Flying-V/GoFoil Maliko 200
Kenalu Ho'oloa 95, Werner Rip Stick 79

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2019, 05:27:37 AM »
i find the xtuf soft shaft from kenalu is friendliest to elbows and shoulders--when i use a stiffer shaft, i immediately get issues--right elbow from 40 years of heavy squash (mighta ruined my hip too)--and right shoulder from years of using my only real tennis weapons, serve/volley/o'head--when i play social these days i serve sidearm! overheads? no go--i try to head the ball!

but ive bought and quickly sold what i thought would be paddle upgrades, and always reverted to the xtuf soft--i also use the mana blade--tho i surfed a challenging day in FL a few weeks ago with a konihi i leave down there, which, if i didnt have the mana, i would be happy with---whatever the case that paddle has xtuf soft and my limbs felt great--so i think the pain avoidance i get is mostly about the xtuf soft--if your konihi is already xtuf soft, maybe put a mana blade on and see how that goes--tons of rehab on web for "tennis elbow" which is just tendonitis of elbow--which you likely have--and youre inflaming it--might also make sense to rest it a bit then bring it back with rehab--with rehab, once rested, i like work the offensive body part as hard as i can stand, then ice well, immediately.

good luck--how was hanalei? you get some local sup love??
« Last Edit: May 01, 2019, 05:34:20 AM by eastbound »
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2019, 03:53:47 PM »
Elbows are about the only thing on me that doesn't hurt. It's part paddle (Ke Nalu Konihi 82 for downwind, Mana 90 for surfing and foiling, xTuf(S) shaft if my shoulders are kicking up) and part technique. I don't pull with my lower arm, I push down with my upper arm and twist my core. What I'd call the Dave Kalama/Jonny Puakea technique. And I make sure my upper hand is shoulder height when the blade is buried--which means different lengths for my downwind paddle (thick board) and surf board.

Keeping your lower arm straight while you twist to power the blade and press down to keep water flowing across the blade vertically gives lots of power without straining the small muscles of your arm and the little elbow joint.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2019, 05:56:08 AM »
seems simple sensible (best kind) PB--ima try that tomorrow

straight lower arm as much as possible--push down with upper hand and twist

i get so psyched for the wave im paddling into, that i throw technique to the wind
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2019, 01:12:56 PM »
EB--I used to do the same thing until Dave Kalama impressed on me that it was the reason I was missing the waves I really needed to get (the ones that have their big brothers stacked up right behind them). Dave impressed on me that the bigger the wave you're going for, the stronger your technique needs to be. And the way to practice that is to do it for every wave. Doing so kicked my wave count way up, and almost eliminated the tendency to pull myself off the board, though I still do that too often in downwinding. If you bend your lower arm to pull the result is both weaker and your position and balance are much more compromised than if you keep a straight lower arm and engage your core. In downwinding you sometimes need three quick short strokes instead of one long hard one, and I do that best using my arms. And that's generally when I fall.

The pushing down part is more valuable with certain paddles--basically any paddle that makes noise when you pull it without fully planting the blade. The original Ke Nlu paddles are helped by that technique a little bit, but the Konihi and Mana are right in the sweet spot (along with the flow-controlled QB designs). Push down hard on a Konihi and it feels like the catch doubles. I'm sure it's not that much, but it's how it feels. I permanently switched from a 95 to an 82 when I started consistently pushing down.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

LBsup

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2019, 01:23:41 PM »
Interesting I never have elbow pain but my shoulder tends to get sore when I’m scratching very hard for a wave I feel is passing me by, I think my technique goes awry.  Also, others have mentioned my paddle is too long so that probably strains my shoulder as well.  Frequently my fingers go spastic and lock up on me after a long session really odd and uncomfortable sensation.
Black Project Texcarbon, 85 blade, 69
8’10 Sunova Ghost, 137L

RideTheGlide

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2019, 02:56:02 PM »
I get tendinitis in the elbows from time to time. I have one of those adjustable velcro cuffs and it does help, but it's not made for water sports. Maybe there is a neoprene one that is.
2017 GoPlus 9'9"
2018 Hydro-Force fastblast 12'6"
2019 BKC 12'

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2019, 04:20:21 PM »
Interesting I never have elbow pain but my shoulder tends to get sore when I’m scratching very hard for a wave I feel is passing me by, I think my technique goes awry.  Also, others have mentioned my paddle is too long so that probably strains my shoulder as well.  Frequently my fingers go spastic and lock up on me after a long session really odd and uncomfortable sensation.
A too-long paddle bows my shoulders right up. I forgot my surf paddle one morning and went foiling with my downwind paddle--it felt terrible and my shoulders ached for two days. A slightly softer shaft helps too, by taking up the impact. That's when I switch to an Xtuf(s), when I start having pain. It doesn't take long to make it go away and then I generally switch back, though I've kept the Xtuf on my surf paddle all winter this year. Oddly enough if I have some shoulder pain from any source paddling with my surf paddle helps it, paddling with my downwind paddle exacerbates it. It's as if the Xtuf were therapeutic. I doubt that's really so, but still...

LBsup

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2019, 05:47:37 PM »
A too-long paddle bows my shoulders right up. I forgot my surf paddle one morning and went foiling with my downwind paddle--it felt terrible and my shoulders ached for two days. A slightly softer shaft helps too, by taking up the impact. That's when I switch to an Xtuf(s), when I start having pain. It doesn't take long to make it go away and then I generally switch back, though I've kept the Xtuf on my surf paddle all winter this year. Oddly enough if I have some shoulder pain from any source paddling with my surf paddle helps it, paddling with my downwind paddle exacerbates it. It's as if the Xtuf were therapeutic. I doubt that's really so, but still...
I’ll have to lookup the xtuf not familiar with it.  Thanks
Black Project Texcarbon, 85 blade, 69
8’10 Sunova Ghost, 137L

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal