Author Topic: First time race director...wish me luck  (Read 1494 times)

SUP616

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
First time race director...wish me luck
« on: April 26, 2019, 10:04:59 AM »
In an era of declining races and numbers of participants, i had the bright idea of creating a new event...what am I thinking? 

I don't even really like to race, but my 13 year old daughter loves it and I do love spending time with her.  Even though I don't enjoy the actual race part, i do love going to events and hanging with my friends...my paddling family.  The goals are simple...have something that the elite racers will enjoy, but cater to the masses. My wife would also add...don't lose money!  The idea came from a blog post I wrote a long time ago on what my ideal race would be...I decided to just do it.  so wish me luck!

If you happen to be in the Great Lakes area at the end of June...check it out! It truly is a great place to paddle.

https://paddleguru.com/races/2019GreatLakesSUPChallenge
- SIC F14
- SIC Bullet 12’6
- Fanatic AllWave 9’4
- Quickblade Trifecta 96

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
Re: First time race director...wish me luck
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2019, 06:01:11 PM »
Good luck for sure. From the look of it by elite's you just mean the fastest folks in the area or with racing experience. Not the sponsored racers...what's left of them....that will require prize $$ etc..? Keep it fun...make sure you throw a good party....:)
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2019, 11:05:48 PM »
Ditto to what Bob said, and he should know, he's thrown the most fun events I've ever been to, and no prize money. Nice trophies though, I scored a couple. There used to be a great Hood River event that was so low key I forgot the name of it. Five bucks to enter and a cooler of cheap beer after. Had a good turnout and I went to every one that I could manage.

Most of the surviving events are like that. Fun, and a good party to make it fun for the folks who support the event. Best of luck.

Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

JEG

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2019, 04:25:40 PM »
I agree, make it fun and listen and get feedback from your members.

SUP616

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2019, 05:52:33 AM »
great tips guys.  I'll keep them in mind and let you know how it goes.

Thanks
Dave
- SIC F14
- SIC Bullet 12’6
- Fanatic AllWave 9’4
- Quickblade Trifecta 96

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal