Author Topic: Leash recommendations?  (Read 8450 times)

SUPdad

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Leash recommendations?
« on: April 23, 2019, 06:52:26 PM »
I think I need a new leash. A normal leash seems to get wrapped around the foil every once in a while.:o I’m not sure what to get as I believe coiled leash aren’t generally recommended for surfing. I’d prefer an ankle type. Any recommendations?
Thanks!

clay

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • www.clayisland.com
    • Email
Re: Leash recommendations?
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2019, 07:32:26 PM »
I tried most (all?) the leash suggestions and have decided on this:
For me full coil 8' leash and waist belt.  This keeps the leash away from my feet, my hooks, and the foil, and keeps the leash out of the water for zero drag.
Nobody that I know of sells a full coil waist leash.  So I buy the sticky bumps 8' full coil and attach that to a leash lock waist belt.  Also Boardmeetingusa has a 10' full coil with a handle built in, I have tried it in small waves and the handle works well for keeping good control of my foil rig at cowells.  Most leashes have swivels that are detachable and interchangeable at the ends.

Some folks say full coil have the potential for entrapment, as in getting fingers and toes decapitated.  I wear booties so this isn't an issue for me, and I find the waist leash keeps the coils away from my digits.  Also foiling in general is a smaller wave deal so strong pulls on the leash are probably unlikely.
Aloha, I welcome and appreciate all responses of positivity and good feeling.

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOIE6FWr1SpWvbPJIIiEgog

flkiter

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2019, 09:02:20 PM »
I started with a coil leash the calf and it was killing my leg Esso I went with the blue planet waist leash on a reel. It's awesome and I should of done it sooner. It has a shock cord and static cord so a lot of the time if I fall, I can grab the static cord and keep the board from foiling away in a wave and it's right there so I can swim though a wave following the one I fell from. The reel leash works well and keeps any leash drag from happening. https://www.blueplanetsurf.com/retractable-foil-waist-leash-with-shock-cord.html

SUPdad

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2019, 09:42:41 PM »
Cool, thanks for the suggestions. Seems Stickybumps has discontinued their coil leashes but they’re still available from various places. I found a 10’ coil leash for dirt cheap so I ordered one to try. I’m more worried about the board coming back at me...some of those leashes seem pretty springy.

Thanks also for the BoardmeetingUSA recommendation!  I need to order one from my regular standup. That would come in handy, for sure.

Any other recommendations?

frenchfoiler

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2019, 09:57:42 PM »
I use a surf leash comp kids 5'', super thin, ultra light, short enought so it doesn't get into the foil and it doesn't drag much while foiling.

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2019, 10:01:25 PM »
I've used this one for the past six months, and have been very happy with it...

SBS 10' Coiled SUP Leash - GUARANTEED FOR LIFE - Premium Design for Flat & Open Water Stand Up Paddle Board

Can't beat the $17.95 price with a lifetime guarantee(? interesting)....and have to say, it is as comfortable of a leash as I've ever worn.

« Last Edit: April 23, 2019, 10:08:33 PM by SanoSlatchSup »
Me: 6'1"/185...(2) 5'1" Kings Foil/Wing Boards...7'10 Kings DW Board...9'6" Bob Pearson "Laird Noserider"...14' Lahui Kai "Manta"...8'0" WaveStorm if/when the proning urges still hit.

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2019, 05:20:01 AM »
http://www.leashlokhawaii.com

love these waistleashes--i used a straight leash, but they have all types

only had one break, right at the connection to the belt, but that leash had been seriously repeatedly worked

a pissed off proner once asked "is that a tampon string?" -- i actually laughed and gave him a little hand clap--funny.....

then i grabbed a sweet wave!
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

SUPdad

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2019, 08:01:59 PM »
Thanks, guys...all great suggestions!  Are there any other leashes that float aside from the Dakine Superlite? 

flkiter

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2019, 08:37:30 PM »
Drill a hole in some wine corks and slide them onto leash.

supnorte

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • SUP Norte
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2019, 11:47:18 AM »
I'm using a SIC Hydrid Leash: half is coil and half is straight and it's for the ankle. Extended is 6' long. Works perfectly: no drag and it doesn't get tangled on the foil.

https://sicmaui.com/hybrid-coil-straight-6.html

mrbig

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2019, 12:44:01 PM »
Leashlok waist belt with Baiin Monster Coil for both surf and fw. Never step on it. Never breaks. And has NOT snapped back..
Let it come to you..
SMIK 9'2" Hipster Mini Mal
SMIK 8'8" Short Mac Freo Rainbow Bridge
SMIK 8'4" Hipster Twin
King's 8'2" Accelerator SharkBoy

Chan

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2019, 01:35:02 PM »
Anyone tried these with a wing foil?

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2019, 07:59:17 PM »
Wing foil leashes are a strangulation hazard. I got tied up to my board leash so my wrist was pinned to the tail of the board. Took a while to get that undone since i was getting worked while I was undoing the macrame.

I generally use a coil leash for my foil board even though I'm the guy that said coiled leashes will poke your eye out. They will, but my other solution, a 8' belt leash with a loop tucked in the belt tends to get loose and bounce along the surface like a ski rope. In general, foilboards don't go far or pull hard, so I get away with it. In general. And then there's the times that doesn't work and I feel like I'm being towed by my ankle behind a jetski.

I haven't found a great solution yet, but I'll keep working on it.

The wing thing demands some refinement since two leashes whipping around eash other is just a disaster waiting to happen. Brett Lickle got his wing leash wrapped around his neck. If the wing gets away from you and starts flying it's a fairly dynamic situation--the wing porpoises wildly and can drag you around quite smartly. This needs a bit of work.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2019, 05:09:32 AM »
Wing foil leashes are a strangulation hazard. I got tied up to my board leash so my wrist was pinned to the tail of the board. Took a while to get that undone since i was getting worked while I was undoing the macrame.

I generally use a coil leash for my foil board even though I'm the guy that said coiled leashes will poke your eye out. They will, but my other solution, a 8' belt leash with a loop tucked in the belt tends to get loose and bounce along the surface like a ski rope. In general, foilboards don't go far or pull hard, so I get away with it. In general. And then there's the times that doesn't work and I feel like I'm being towed by my ankle behind a jetski.

I haven't found a great solution yet, but I'll keep working on it.

The wing thing demands some refinement since two leashes whipping around eash other is just a disaster waiting to happen. Brett Lickle got his wing leash wrapped around his neck. If the wing gets away from you and starts flying it's a fairly dynamic situation--the wing porpoises wildly and can drag you around quite smartly. This needs a bit of work.

I am wondering if the single board to to wing leash is not cleaner.  Is there a leash attachment position on the kite and board that would keep the wing from throwing the board?  I guess you would not want to fall downwind of the board/foil but that seems true in any leash configuration.

FRP

• Bob
  • Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2019, 02:21:23 PM »

I am wondering if the single board to to wing leash is not cleaner.  Is there a leash attachment position on the kite and board that would keep the wing from throwing the board?  I guess you would not want to fall downwind of the board/foil but that seems true in any leash configuration.
[/quote]

I am not a foiler. Two leashes sounds like trouble. What about one leash, wing to board that runs through a carabiner on a waist belt?

Bob

Sunova 8'10" Speeed
Sunova 8’7” Creek
Sunova 9’x30” Revolution
KeNalu Konihi 84 (primary paddle)
Kialoa Pipes II
Werner Nitro Carbon

"The time spent surfing is time that is added to my life" “In the ocean we are all connected”
Anon

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal