Author Topic: Second SUP  (Read 2948 times)

jpeter

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
Second SUP
« on: April 23, 2019, 05:28:34 PM »
I own two Sealion SUP/windSUP boards.  8'3 135L and 9'0 150L   They are the greatest thing,  but only my 8'3 model gets used.  They are quite similar to each other.   I bought the XL 9' board first and used it to teach windsurfing, learn to surf, and wave sail it.  Got the 8'3 next looking for a bit more performance and I like it.  So looking to sell the XL and get a second SUP that has some different characteristics. 

Thinking the new board would be something longer that catches waves easier. 

I do like to get forward on the board sometimes,  so something I can noseride is a consideration.  I have read that some noseriders are not necessarily easy wave catchers.  Not looking to hang 10 on the board, but I do get on the nose of the Sealion sometimes to catch or stay on a shouldery wave. 

I am thinking maybe a 10'6 30" wide board might be a general starting point. Around 150L volume.   Some boards I see in this range are described as a big wave gun.   The gun would seem to catch easy,  but likely not nose ride too well.

I welcome any input or advice,  thx in advance.
JP

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Second SUP
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2019, 06:29:40 PM »
There are plenty of decent longboards that would probably do the trick. Most brands have a 10-6x30 (or close to that) in their range. Two that I own, and are very popular, are the Naish Nalu and the Fanatic Stylemaster. Both catch waves very well (I have the 10-6 Nalu and the 10ft Stylemaster).

But if you want the ultimate in wave-catching then look at more of a surf-tour hybrid. These boards are designed to paddle fast, so the rocker and nose shape enables you to muscle into fat little waves that would otherwise pass you by.

An example is the SIC Saber (or if you are in Europe, the Gong Perv). Maybe the Starboard Blend.

NorthJerzSurfer

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2019, 06:32:02 PM »
a similar thread was just discussed and the Fanatic Stylemaster was similar to your wants.  (Not sure where you are so ruling out Gong- but seems to be a good company to check out if you are in europe- Note I havent ridden either)

The Style master seems not a dedicated noserider (which is actually designed to slow down some on a wave- espceially with a concave), and not a performance longboard with too much rocker to make it a very early wave catcher.

I have the Sunova Style 10'6.  And its an amazing board but i find i take it out only on flatwater and very very small surf and it really excels in Knee to chest surf.  Issue.  Thats when i want to be on a shortboard sup, or prone board- Summer Knee and under is really what i now have found i want/need a board for.

If the Style had a flatter rocker profile and got into very small waves wave a bit earleir it would be perfect for my needs.

NorthJerzSurfer

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2019, 06:33:05 PM »
ha.  posted a little too late Area10 took care of my comment for me!

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2019, 10:37:41 PM »
If you want to catch waves easy and early, avoid the big wave gun shapes. Guns tend to have excessive rocker which decreases glide.
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300
Sunova Flow  8'10 X 31"  119L
Me - 6'0" - 165lbs - 66yo

JimK

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Big Guys can have fun too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2019, 05:19:35 AM »
JP

Hey the Fanatic 10'6 Style Master is EXACTLY what you are looking for it gets you into the waves earlier than the previous version and when you step back towards the fins it's a lively slashing board. For those really small days I've found this board does nice "Cruisy" turns from the mid section and when you get on the nose the board "Really Scoots" stable and fast up on the nose. I'm a BIG guys so I have to be quick on and off the nose but a more reasonably sized human can "Hang out" there more.

I like the stock fins (2+1 set up) for most ridding even in bigger waves. But for pure nose ridding I switch to a single fin set up and the stock trailer is OK but I'm testing other singles To improve tip time and manuverability on the nose.

The Bamboo construction is much more durable than previous years construction.

I wish I could keep a hold of mine but someone keeps buying it out from under me...More coming in 2 weeks

for PURE nose ridding the JL B&B is real nice but like all specific designs it is limiting BUT if you wanna get into waves early with reasonable performance the Naish Nalu 11FT works amazing

That is MY 2 cents for whatever it's worth

JimK
Extreme Windsurfing

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2019, 06:05:42 AM »
Actually, I think the 11-4 Naish Nalu is better for getting into waves than the 11. The 11 has quite a bit of rocker, which makes it very manoeuvrable for its size, and will be great in decent waves, but it isn’t the best wave catcher in marginal conditions. (The 11-4 is also narrower, so faster to paddle.)

jpeter

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2019, 07:34:47 AM »
That Fanatic stylemaster does look really good.  I rented an Allwave while in Cabarete and the shop manager mentioned that Fanatic made a really good noserider.    JP

surlygringo

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2019, 09:16:26 PM »
Area10 is right, a lot high performance longboard style sups  would work for you. However, you can’t go wrong with the Stylemaster. I have the 10’ version and it is a wave catching machine. It has a long flat in the center of the board that works with the parallel rails to give it a ton of speed both paddling and gliding in.

I would demo a hybrid board if you decide to go that route. I have only ridden one. It had a displacement front with a surf tail and it did get into tiny waves well, but I didn’t like the feeling of the displacement hull. I also think I can ride waves just as small and gutless on the stylemaster, it just takes a little footwork.

I realize the right board size is different for everyone,  but, I would  consider going for the 10’ rather the 10’6”. The narrower width will help a bit with paddle speed as well as how it surfs. I think fanatic’s weight recommendations are accurate for that board.

jpeter

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2019, 06:48:58 AM »
Area10 is right, a lot high performance longboard style sups  would work for you. However, you can’t go wrong with the Stylemaster. I have the 10’ version and it is a wave catching machine. It has a long flat in the center of the board that works with the parallel rails to give it a ton of speed both paddling and gliding in.

I would demo a hybrid board if you decide to go that route. I have only ridden one. It had a displacement front with a surf tail and it did get into tiny waves well, but I didn’t like the feeling of the displacement hull. I also think I can ride waves just as small and gutless on the stylemaster, it just takes a little footwork.

I realize the right board size is different for everyone,  but, I would  consider going for the 10’ rather the 10’6”. The narrower width will help a bit with paddle speed as well as how it surfs. I think fanatic’s weight recommendations are accurate for that board.

What's your weight Surly ?  I was thinking I would like the 10' board ...  but this will double as flat water board for when I'm bored.

jpeter

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2019, 06:52:49 AM »
I will clarify that easy wave catcher for me has 2 meanings.  Small waves is one but more often larger waves that I can pick up away from the peak.  Which is why I had the gun as an option.  Larger waves being head high in my universe.  JP

surlygringo

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2019, 08:45:43 AM »
I am 6’2”, 195, but have surfed the stylemaster at well over 200 when I was injured and out of shape last year. I am a short board surfer and have surfed short sups for years. I got the stylemaster a couple of years ago for something different to surf and to flat water paddle and  sail in light air when I am inland.

I have surfed it mainly around shoulder high with some occasional kooking around in really small(below knee) conditions as well. It is a great board for moving around the break and getting in early on the outside, which is especially nice on a walled up beach break. Again, I would guess that other high performance longboard sups share this characteristic unless they have a ton of rocker. I think that style of board makes a lot of sense as a second board. Not only does it open up some new  conditions/waves that you can ride, but it is an entirely different feel and approach to surfing which is fun.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal