Author Topic: Tom Carroll Outer Reef 10'6  (Read 66383 times)

supnsurf

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
Re: Tom Carroll Outer Reef 10'6
« Reply #90 on: May 11, 2019, 10:47:38 AM »
how was it putting on with the beveled rail ?
Rawson 8'8" Impala

L41 8'8"

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: May 11, 2019, 03:04:17 PM »
Taping around the beveled rail was slightly more challenging than a round rail. You have to go slow and make the tape conform to the rail as you go or you might get air pockets. When you get an air pocket, you have to pull back the tape and smooth it out with your hand. I decided not to use the wet method because I don't think the tape would want to conform to the rail if it was slippery.
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300
Sunova Flow  8'10 X 31"  119L
Me - 6'0" - 165lbs - 66yo

NorthJerzSurfer

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #92 on: May 11, 2019, 04:26:36 PM »
 Try using a glassing squegee to press it on.

I have done 3-4 now with this method and barely get a bubble.  The Texture of RS pro ruins the squeegee for glassing- but they are maybe 99 cents and do an amazing job.

(Note half moon in center from the board rail)

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: May 11, 2019, 04:38:20 PM »
I've done 8 or 9 boards now and have used lots of tools like that to rub out the bubbles. In this case I think it was the surface texture of the flat paint that prevented the clear tape from sticking properly at least aesthetically.
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: May 23, 2019, 06:06:34 PM »
From another thread.....

I just bought a 4 3/4" +- FCS II Thruster set for the Outer Reef. This should speed it up a bit. I also bought an inexpensive 6 inch Futures center fin just to play around with and see how it affects it.

It came with a big 9 inch longboard fin with two small quad rears and it felt over finned. I've never understood the reasoning behind having big fins on longer boards. I don't think board length affects fin dynamics all that much, at least for the way I surf.

The ad copy for the Outer Reef states... " custom 9″ TCPS single fin that’s big enough to offer an efficient flat-water stroke rate, while still allowing for easy turning."

So if you don't care about flat water tracking... 

Also, how big (tall/deep) are the quad rears that came with the board? Interesting to know if those supplied are the same size as the "recommended" 4.26" quad rears that you are urged to buy separately.   

The quad rears that came with the board are 4.26". I guess they're not really that small.  What bothers me is that they are rears when I would think they should be fronts. There must be a difference or they wouldn't call them different names.

So this is what I ordered. Technically not an actual Thruster set. The blue and white should go well with the board.

4.48 inch FCS II quad fronts.  https://www.surffcs.com/collections/replacements/products/replacement-fcs-ii-performer-fins?variant=7543211982909

4.78 inch FCS II Performer PC Longboard center fin.  https://www.surffcs.com/collections/water-sports-longboard/products/fcs-ii-performer-pc-longboard-centre-fin

6 inch Futures Thermotech Performance center fin. https://futuresfins.com/surfboard-fins/thermotech-performance-6-0.html

I can always throw on the 9 inch and pop off the side bites for flatwater.

« Last Edit: May 23, 2019, 06:23:05 PM by Badger »
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: May 24, 2019, 03:52:12 AM »
After surfing the Outer Reef a few times, I'm still happy with the purchase but there are a few things about the design that I would change.

First, it has too much volume. Being 175 pounds, this has been a problem with every board I've ever bought but even more so with big boards. It seems to be an industry wide misconception that big boards need to have a lot of volume. I suppose part of the intention behind it might be to improve flatwater paddling. For surfing, I think it would benefit this design if it had 10 or 20 liters less volume. Yes, it might leave some heavier riders out of the picture, but it would surf better for the majority of riders and still be able to paddle distances fairly easy.

The displacement Vee shape in the nose is more pronounced than it has to be and may not even be necessary. It also detracts from the look of the board.

The arch bar on the tail on this particular board was installed an inch off center. I haven't used it yet so I don't know how much affect it will have on controlling the board but the flaw will always bother me.

Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300

sflinux

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #96 on: May 24, 2019, 07:31:29 AM »
Badger, thanks for starting this thread.
I like looking at guild factor.  This website gives a rough guide:
https://www.supconnect.com/tips/volume-in-stand-up-paddle-surfboards
Basically says:
a beginner should have a guild factor (gf) = 2
intermediate (gf) = 1.7
advanced (gf) = 1.3

Earlier in the thread, OceanAddict asked about a beginner board for someone 200 lbs (91kg).  The 11' was recommended, which would give a gf = 2.03.

For Badger (175#) who is 80 kg, the 10'6" has a gf = 2.06.  His other boards JL has a gf = 1.43, and his Sunova Flow has a gf = 1.48.  He contemplated ease of use & glide, versus surf ability.  The 152L 10' Outer Reef would have given him a gf = 1.9.  Whereas the 152L 10' Outer Reef would be in the intermediate range for a 195# rider (gf=1.71).  The 145L Deep Dogman 10'2" x 29" model would give Badger a gf=1.81.  And the 133L Deep Jackson Close 10'1" x 30" x 4" model would give Badger a gf = 1.66.

The only comment I would have is the industry in the last decade has moved to wider boards, which adds volume.  My guess is this was to make it easier for the entry level paddler.  For SUP surfing, I prefer narrower (i.e. 29-30").
Quiver Shaped by: Joe Blair, Blane Chambers, Jimmy Lewis, Kirk McGinty, and Bob Pearson.
Me: 200#, 6'2"

Subber

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: May 24, 2019, 08:18:01 AM »
It came with a big 9 inch longboard fin with two small quad rears and it felt over finned. I've never understood the reasoning behind having big fins on longer boards. I don't think board length affects fin dynamics all that much, at least for the way I surf.
The quad rears that came with the board are 4.26". I guess they're not really that small.  What bothers me is that they are rears when I would think they should be fronts. There must be a difference or they wouldn't call them different names.

Yeah, generally, people would use quad fronts in a 2+1 setup, at least for surfing moderate and smaller waves.
Quad fronts are usually flat inside foil while quad rears are a 50/50 foil.
The flat inside foil sidebites are more turny/snappy but have more drag and on bigger faster waves can make a board twitchy.
The 50/50 foil sidebites have less drag and are less twitchy on bigger faster waves - I've read that is what they use at Mavericks, for example.  I've pretty much verified this over the last couple of months of surfing bigger, faster storm surf.

So, for flat paddling the quad rears would make sense, since less drag - also less drag for catching a wave but
not as turny/snappy for smaller wave surfing. 

Always dealing with the trade off - flat water paddling and easier take off versus on the wave surfing.

I'm almost always trying to noseride - so another issue into the mix.  In my case, a larger middle fin with smaller site bites works pretty well & for bigger faster waves - 50/50 sides.  I have some real small ones that can help a narrow (front to back) bigger fin be able to hold a bottom turn.

Also, I've found that fatter foil fins seem to paddle slower (more drag) than thinner foil fins.
(but people say fatter foiled fins turn more easily and they probably do).  If it is crowded (and it often is where I surf) I like a thinner foil (and smaller sides) for faster paddling speed to help me catch waves more easily.
Jimmy Lewis Black & Blue Noserider 10'1"x31"x4.25," 164 liters, 24 lbs, 1 box
Pearson Laird Surftech Longboard 10'6"x23"x29.75"x18"x4.375," 154 liters, 24 lbs, 3 boxes
Takayama Ali'i II Surftech 11'x21.375”x28.5”x17.25”x 4.25,” 162 liters, 26 lbs, 3 boxes

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: May 24, 2019, 08:39:43 AM »
sflinux, thanks for going to the trouble of posting that. Very Helpful. I need to incorporate the GF into my board purchases more.

If I had a choice I would have preferred a narrower width but the 32" does come in handy in rough conditions.

I probably should have gone with the 10' Outer Reef but I'm still happy with the 10'6. If anyone wants a brand new 10'6 Outer reef with RSPro, I'll sell this one for $900. Then I can order the 10'.

Subber, the FCS II quad rears on the Outer Reef are flat sided which makes me think they are probably fine to use, but it still makes me wonder why they are labeled rears. The JL quad rears on my Super Frank and Kinetic Racing quad rears on my Flow are 50/50 and I like how they ride.

I haven't surfed for a couple of weeks and was dying to get out this morning so it took it out in some knee to thigh high waves with some heavy offshore winds blowing 20+ mph at a slight angle to the break causing some small chop.

The board handled the conditions really well. I doubt I would have been able to catch any waves or paddle against that wind with my shorter boards. The Vee in the nose actually seemed to help the board cut through the chop. It does look different but doesn't adversely affect the way it surfs at all. I think I'll eventually get used to the way it looks and grow to like it over time.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2019, 08:51:30 AM by Badger »
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: May 26, 2019, 04:03:03 PM »
Hot session today. Mid 80's. Instant summer after a long cold spring and I'm not used to it. The water is still cold but I was sweating in my 3/2. I had to keep jumping in the water to cool off.

Knee to thigh high. I tried the 6 inch center fin and it worked great. I doubt I will ever go back to the stock 9 inch. The board felt more fluid. Nice smooth turns. It feels a little faster. Less worry of the fin hitting bottom or catching on rocks.

I'm totally over any doubts I had about the Vee in the nose. Blane Chambers shaped it that way for reason and it works. It cuts through chop with ease. It keeps the board going straight when paddling into waves. It adds buoyancy when you want to power paddle those last few strokes into the wave from the nose. When on the wave and you stand forward of the handle, it holds a nice steady line just like TC does in the video at 1:01. I'm liking this board more each time I use it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uEfLo9lZUYo

Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Piney Woods of Southeast Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: May 26, 2019, 06:20:59 PM »
@ Badger

Just curious.

Since you seemed to have had a good session with it in knee to thigh high waves, have you now changed your mind about selling your 10'6" Outer Reef in favor of the 10' Outer Reef?
Blue Planet Duke: 10'5" x 32" x 4.5" @ 190 Liters (2 Dukes)
Sup Sports Hammer: 8'11" x 31" x 4" @ 140 Liters
SUP Sports One World: 11'1" x 30" x 4.5" @ 173 Liters
CJ Nelson Parallax: 9'3" x 23 1/2" x 3 3/16" @ 78.8 Liters (prone surfing longboard; Thunderbolt Technologies build in Red construction)

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: May 26, 2019, 06:53:11 PM »
No, I think I would still sell it and get the 10'.

Six inches shorter and 13 less liters would be perfect, but the extra volume of the 10'6 does not detract from the surfability much and gives it the advantage of slightly more glide. I think I will always lean towards the 10' but no so much that I would be disappointed with the 10'6.
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #102 on: May 27, 2019, 07:03:30 AM »
I've been looking for a bigger more stable board with a bit more glide that I can use on choppy big days and for getting to distant breaks...

What do you think you'll gain with the 10' version? Surly not more stability and glide.
in progress...

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: May 27, 2019, 09:36:03 AM »
I've been looking for a bigger more stable board with a bit more glide that I can use on choppy big days and for getting to distant breaks...

What do you think you'll gain with the 10' version? Surly not more stability and glide.

I wouldn't gain a lot, but 13 liters less volume might make it a little more surfy allowing me to sink the rails a little deeper which would make it a little more maneuverable and slightly less threatening to others in the line up. These are very subtle differences. Each length has it's advantages.

I'm not bummed out with the 10'6 at all. I'm the type of person who, if the differences were major it would really bother me, but in this case, I'm cool with it.   8)

The 10'6 is going to open up a lot of spots that can't easily be surfed on shorter boards. A great way to escape the crowds and have all the waves to yourself.

« Last Edit: May 27, 2019, 10:04:43 AM by Badger »
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #104 on: May 27, 2019, 10:54:54 AM »
...if the differences were major it would really bother me, but in this case, I'm cool with it.   8)

I think you got it right the first time if in fact you are paddling it to distant spots. I spent a month
in a spot requiring 2 mile paddle out, I could have used those extra liters and inches on my 10 footer.
Otherwise, selling it only to get the 10' for a minor bump in performance seems like a lot of effort.

If you do go that route, would be interesting to learn if you think it was worth it in hindsight.
in progress...

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal