Author Topic: A "Guest" Sup: 3 Main Choices  (Read 23168 times)

RideTheGlide

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: A "Guest" Sup: 3 Main Choices
« Reply #105 on: May 14, 2019, 12:03:43 PM »
... BTW, I hung on to the box; the damage isn't so bad that I can't use it as a sleeve in my crawlspace.
That's a great idea RTG.  Just keep in mind, as I'm certain you already know, cardboard will hold grit and can be abrasive.
I have rail tape and I haven't had a noticeable problem yet. It's cocked to one side, so the bottom may get some wear also. If you have to slide it in to where you keep it instead of carrying it and setting it there, something retained in or lying on whatever surface (cardboard, carpet, linoleum, etc) can be an issue.
2017 GoPlus 9'9"
2018 Hydro-Force fastblast 12'6"
2019 BKC 12'

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Piney Woods of Southeast Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: May 14, 2019, 09:22:27 PM »
Night Wing, the Houston airport allows you to inspect freight before signing for it?  They wouldn’t let me do it at the Delta/United cargo terminal in Charlotte.  Had to sign first.

I have no idea if Intercontinental Airpot (IAH) will allow me to check for damage before taking possession any board that is shipped air freight. I will have to look into that which means a phone call to Blue Planet will be in order.

If a person buys a BP board, BP pays for the shipping and BP insures it.

For discussion's sake, lets say the air freight company won't allow me to look at the board "first" to check for damage. In that case, "if" I have to sign first and then open the box containing the board, then I will tell Blue Planet I will pay for the shipping costs so I can have the board protected with a lot more than bubble wrap. This lets BP off the hook so to speak.

And below is a short video of how BP ships their boards for air freight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fAHDwj9pDAQ

When I bought my Hammer and One World from WarDog (Sup Sports), I paid for the shipping costs and both boards where packaged like they were inside of Fort Knox. My Hammer's packaged box weighed 85 pound and my One World packaged box weighed 99 pounds. At the truck shipping terminals where I picked up my Hammer and OW, I signed for the board, but I also wrote a disclaimer on the signed form.

The disclaimer below is what I wrote below my signature for both of my boards:

Possible Concealed Damage Pending Full Inspection

So when I signed for my two boards, me and two employees from the shipping company watched me open the heavy duty boxes containing my boards.

If either of my two boards were damaged in transit, the disclaimer would leave me out of the equation so WarDog (Sup Sports) and the shipping company would be the ones talking with one another over a damage board. But WarDog takes tremendous care in how he packages his boards for shipment whether it be for air freight or truck freight.

Most people do not use disclaimers when they sign a form to receive their goods from shipping companies. Shipping companies do not want people to check for damage at the shipping company. Once people leave the premises of the shipping company, when people get an item home and after the item is unboxed, if the item is damaged, the shipping company is off the hook. Without a disclaimer, this is how most people get "stuck" when an item is damaged.

I do not let any "shipping manager on duty" force me to accept what I do not want to accept without opening the packaged item at the shipping terminal. Basically, the disclaimer I write on the form gives me legal "leverage".

« Last Edit: May 14, 2019, 09:24:17 PM by Night Wing »
Blue Planet Duke: 10'5" x 32" x 4.5" @ 190 Liters (2 Dukes)
Sup Sports Hammer: 8'11" x 31" x 4" @ 140 Liters
SUP Sports One World: 11'1" x 30" x 4.5" @ 173 Liters
CJ Nelson Parallax: 9'3" x 23 1/2" x 3 3/16" @ 78.8 Liters (prone surfing longboard; Thunderbolt Technologies build in Red construction)

southwesterly

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: May 14, 2019, 11:26:55 PM »
 I love this stuff.

Thank you Mr. Night W. This has been a very enjoyable read.

I can't wait until it we all find out the results.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2019, 11:28:26 PM by southwesterly »

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #108 on: May 15, 2019, 03:56:32 AM »
FYI, if you sign without inspecting, then need to return it. You may not be able to simply because YOU cannot ship via airline. Only a business who has been TSA approved can ship on an airline.

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: May 15, 2019, 08:05:02 AM »
Yes that, and your "disclaimer" or otherwise modified shipping terms might not be enforceable.

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: May 15, 2019, 08:14:37 AM »
I love this stuff.

Thank you Mr. Night W. This has been a very enjoyable read.

I can't wait until it we all find out the results.

I'm glad you like reading my topic thread. Since I'm so detailed oriented, when I make a topic, I pack a lot of details into it. Sorta like a good "meat and potatoes" dinner.  ;)

There has been a change of plans. My original plan was to take my two friends down to Surfside early Sunday morning for some sup surfing with my two boards, stay about 3-4 hours and then head on back home.

It looks like a heavy weather front is heading our way Saturday night so Sunday might be a little dicey down at Surfside. Now the plan is to drive down to Surfside early Saturday morning. We'll leave my home at 4:30 am in the morning to catch the sun coming up on the horizon at the beach.

https://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?lat=28.9433&lon=-95.2977
CJ Nelson Parallax: 9'3" x 23 1/2" x 3 3/16" @ 78.8 Liters (prone surfing longboard; Thunderbolt Technologies build in Red construction)

Ichabod Spoonbill

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Hudson Valley, NY
    • View Profile
    • HVH2O
    • Email
« Reply #111 on: May 15, 2019, 09:55:33 AM »
I thought I was being overly fussy with my Bic Pocket Cruiser thread. Night Wing, you are in a whole different category!
Pau Hana 11' Big EZ Ricochet (Beluga)

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: May 15, 2019, 11:31:23 AM »
I thought I was being overly fussy with my Bic Pocket Cruiser thread. Night Wing, you are in a whole different category!

I'm don't think I'm being fussy. I'm just trying to "meet the needs and wants of "A" & "B" coupled with my own like and dislikes of the guest board because I plan on using the guest board myself for flat water paddling, sup surfing and bow tanker wave sup surfing". :)

So in retrospect, "there is a method to my madness".  ;)

Ichabod Spoonbill

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Hudson Valley, NY
    • View Profile
    • HVH2O
    • Email
« Reply #113 on: May 16, 2019, 02:11:20 AM »

I'm don't think I'm being fussy. I'm just trying to "meet the needs and wants of "A" & "B" coupled with my own like and dislikes of the guest board because I plan on using the guest board myself for flat water paddling, sup surfing and bow tanker wave sup surfing". :)

So in retrospect, "there is a method to my madness".  ;)

I understand. I'm more of a “paddle what you got” kind of person. I try make my rides work for the conditions, probably because I can't afford to do anything else.
Pau Hana 11' Big EZ Ricochet (Beluga)

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: May 16, 2019, 05:49:17 AM »
As of today, May 16th 2019, I've got the "tentative" surf super forecast for Surfside for Saturday, May 18th, 2019. This site gives surf forecasts in 3 day increments. Click on the link below and find the date for May 18th.

https://www.windfinder.com/weatherforecast/surfside_beach_freeport

It looks like a nice surf forecast for surfing Saturday since the waves will be around 3.9' in height for the time period we will be there. And it will also be windy with a falling tide.

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: May 16, 2019, 06:58:14 AM »
It may not be the most accurate but Swell Info is just showing choppy, onshore winds all week for Surfside. I guess that's common for Texas.

Saturday morning does look doable though and Wednesday might not be bad.

https://www.swellinfo.com/surf-forecast/surfside-texas

« Last Edit: May 16, 2019, 07:12:46 AM by Badger »
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300
Sunova Flow  8'10 X 31"  119L
Me - 6'0" - 165lbs - 66yo

spirit4earth

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: May 16, 2019, 07:06:37 AM »

I understand. I'm more of a “paddle what you got” kind of person. I try make my rides work for the conditions, probably because I can't afford to do anything else.

👍👍👍

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: May 16, 2019, 07:23:00 AM »
It may not be the most accurate but Swell Info is just showing choppy, onshore winds all week for Surfside.

Saturday morning does look doable though and Wednesday might not be bad.

https://www.swellinfo.com/surf-forecast/surfside-texas

I've found the Windfinder surf forecast for Surfside as well as the other places I sup surf at (Galveston Island, Bolivar Peninsula) to be more accurate than the Swell Info site. This is the reason why I use Windfinder.

BTW, I emailed my two friends earlier this morning and when they see the 3.9' forecasted wave height, I'm expecting a phone call from both of them telling me they think the wave height is going to be too much for them to handle since they've never been surfing before.

But, if they do call with a case of "cold feet", I've already got a "Plan B" for them since I always think ahead.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2019, 07:36:29 AM by Night Wing »

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: May 16, 2019, 09:24:19 AM »
Around 10:30 am this morning, "B" called me, after seeing the surf forecast for Surfside this upcoming Saturday morning in his email. While I was talking on the phone with him, "A" beeped in so I hooked both of my friends up to a conference call.

They both told me they were worried about the 3.9' height of the waves for Surfside for Saturday morning. I told them both I understood that. But since they both know me very well, they asked if I had a "Plan B" concerning a different place.

I told them both I had a "Plan B, a Plan C and a Plan D". So I told them about going to Crystal Beach on the Bolivar Peninsula. While we were on the phone, I emailed them both the surf forecast for this upcoming Saturday (May 18th) for Crystal Beach where the height of the waves would be around 2.6' from the time we arrive till the time we leave Crystal Beach.

https://www.windfinder.com/weatherforecast/crystal-beach_bolivar-peninsula

And I also gave them the streaming webcams, which do not need Flash, for Crystal Beach, Bluewater Beach and Sunrise Beach.

Plan B: Crystal Beach

https://www.bolivarpeninsulatexas.com/Webcams/Crystal-Beach-Surf

Plan C: Bluewater Beach

https://www.bolivarpeninsulatexas.com/Webcams/Bluewater-Beach

Plan D: Sunrise Beach

https://www.bolivarpeninsulatexas.com/Webcams/Sunrise-Beach

I told them the wave heights at Bluewater Beach and Sunrise Beach would be a little lower than at Crystal Beach since I know all of the beaches very well. They liked this idea.

"B" said he would stop by at REI Friday afternoon to rent an adjustable standup paddle since I only have one adjustable paddle. This way both of them can surf my Hammer and my One World at the same time.

I told them to come to my home Friday night and spend the night at my home so they both could get a little more sleep.

Dusk Patrol

• Teahupoo Status
  • PNW
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: May 16, 2019, 01:43:07 PM »
I told them both I had a "Plan B, a Plan C and a Plan D".

You sound like a good friend to have  8)

I hope you all have a blast. 
RS 14x26; JL Destroyers 9'8 & 8'10; BluePlanet 9'4; JL Super Frank 8'6

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal