Author Topic: A "Guest" Sup: 3 Main Choices  (Read 23170 times)

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
Re: A "Guest" Sup: 3 Main Choices
« Reply #90 on: May 12, 2019, 05:53:54 AM »
https://www.standupzone.com/forum/index.php/topic,32025.msg357607.html#msg357607

My choice would be a cruse control

Sorry man
:) :)

The Naish Nalu 11-0 is another board that should definitely *not* be considered here.

But I’d love to have one, for my newbie friends, and then I could use it for surf too.

The Nalu is a sure crowd pleaser and should definitely *not* be considered here just as the Cruise Control
which could probably be considered as the Swiss Army Knife of Sups and therefor should definitely, without a question
*not* be considered here. I'd love to have one for my friends and family.

Longboard style SUPs are fine for flatwater but I've never liked the way they surf.    :)

Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300
Sunova Flow  8'10 X 31"  119L
Me - 6'0" - 165lbs - 66yo

supnsurf

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: May 12, 2019, 07:21:09 AM »
Can you even get PSH boards anymore ?
Rawson 8'8" Impala

L41 8'8"

NorthJerzSurfer

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #92 on: May 12, 2019, 07:52:28 AM »
theres a Wide Ripper for sale locally here in NJ.  They dont come up often

https://jerseyshore.craigslist.org/spo/d/beach-haven-paddle-surf-hawaii/6880031381.html

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: May 12, 2019, 08:34:54 AM »
Can you even get PSH boards anymore ?

The name is still around but I don't think it's the same company or boards as back when Blane was involved.

https://paddlesurfhawaii.shop/

Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Piney Woods of Southeast Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: May 12, 2019, 09:01:54 AM »
Longboard style SUPs are fine for flatwater but I've never liked the way they surf.

Back in 1965 when I first learned how to surf, the longboard was all that we had and there were tons of longboards around back then. I've always liked a longboard style shape and I like the way they surf.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2019, 09:03:25 AM by Night Wing »
Blue Planet Duke: 10'5" x 32" x 4.5" @ 190 Liters (2 Dukes)
Sup Sports Hammer: 8'11" x 31" x 4" @ 140 Liters
SUP Sports One World: 11'1" x 30" x 4.5" @ 173 Liters
CJ Nelson Parallax: 9'3" x 23 1/2" x 3 3/16" @ 78.8 Liters (prone surfing longboard; Thunderbolt Technologies build in Red construction)

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: May 12, 2019, 09:43:04 AM »
Longboard style SUPs are fine for flatwater but I've never liked the way they surf.

Back in 1965 when I first learned how to surf, the longboard was all that we had and there were tons of longboards around back then. I've always liked a longboard style shape and I like the way they surf.
I’ve got several longboard surfboards and longboard SUPs, and I understand exactly what Badger was getting at. Why do some brands put the leash plug bar at 90 degrees to the stringer, whereas others put it in the same orientation? I would never consider owning a board where the leash plug bar was at 90 degrees. My friends would probably not like it.

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: May 12, 2019, 02:00:33 PM »

I was born in '57. My brother surfed in NH from '63 until 68' when he joined the Navy which allowed him to surf all over the world. He used to take me surfing with him and on small days would put me on his Dewey Weber and push me into waves. NH had quite a surf scene back then and I grew up around it. Those were great times for me.

I didn't really learn to surf until '75 and that was on longboards then as well. Shortboards were very popular by then and I wanted one but I couldn't afford a board or a car at the time. It wasn't until 2013 that I finally became a surfer. I like the shortboard outline because of the way it turns and carves. Parallel rails make no sense to me.

« Last Edit: May 12, 2019, 02:08:51 PM by Badger »
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300

SlatchJim

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: May 13, 2019, 09:24:35 AM »
Nightwing,
This is a very interesting topic to me, that someone would buy a SUP specifically to accommodate the needs of friends that they surf with.  Like most, I let friends borrow older models that are generally past their prime and won't break my heart with a ding or two.  I probably have five to six sessions a year where I'm out with friends and family learning to sup surf. Having access to up to 6 boards of varying sizes is handy to fit the size of the newby rider. We currently have: 10-6 x 31 hammer, 10-3 x 33 mahalo, 9-6 x 33.5 stoke (my main), 9-2 x 32 stoke (wife's main), 8-11 x 31 hammer.

This march I sent my 9-5 x 33 hammer home with my niece (to Washington) for her to use in the surf and flat water recreation.
She already has our old 11-1 x 31.5 One World.

I've sold another two boards, including a 9-0 x 31 North Pacific (wife's old board), and 10-0 South County (my first).  Wish I still had the North Pacific, but we're getting my wife a new board with almost the same dimensions, minus about 35 liters.

One of the late 20-year-old guys we were teaching was out on the 9-5 hammer for 2 straight days when I asked if he'd like to experiment with the 9-6 Stoke.  Completely changed the way he surfed and in all ways an improvement.  I'm guessing he'd have been rocking on the 9-2 stoke if my wife would have offered it up to him.  Everybody is different and will have different preferences. Options help. 

If I were you, I'd pick up a couple used boards in a variety of sizes and see how they work.  That way you're not dropping your next new board cash on something you may never use more than a couple of times.  You know the size of your friends best.  The group you described would generally be comfortable on 10' surf shapes in the 30 to 33-inch wide range.  I've surfed the Laird models and Naish boards at a demo day and liked a number of them.  Try to pick a surf shape in the 9-6 range too, if you can.

There are so many used boards out there now.  Grab a couple and see how they work, and don't break your bank doing so.  Best of luck mate. 

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: May 13, 2019, 06:31:39 PM »
@ SlatchJim

I'm glad you're fining this topic interesting. Sorry if I go off on a tangent, but since I'm detailed oriented, I do have a tendency to go "in depth".

I could go with a couple "used boards", but I decided against it. You may wonder why I would do this. My answer is very simple. When I was entering the maritime field, I had a few people who liked my detailed analysis of why I did things and the way I did them when I had to use "second hand equipment".

These people in the maritime industry saw lots of potential in me and wanted me to reach that potential with actual results and the only way to do that was with "top notch equipment". And they made that happen for me. The only thing they asked in return was to "pay it forward".

Getting back to my two friends, I've known them since we were sophomores in high school. That is now 53 years (and counting). I don't want them to learn on second hand boards that "might" fit them. In other words, I don't want them to fit into the board. I want the board to fit them.

But, and there is always a "but" with me. With the specifications they suggested, I think I can make the board fit me so that would be added "bonus" as well.

The specifications they suggested would work well for both flat water paddling as well as sup surfing on the waves we normally run into on the upper Texas coast. These types of waves need lots of volume in a board. My 11'1" OW can surf a tiny 1' wave.

My two friends are close to me in age since we were sophomores in high school when we first me. They, like me, enjoyed their flat water session. This upcoming Sunday morning; if the weather cooperates, we are going to take my truck and my two sups down to Surfside. And I'm going to let them sup surf them...........and see how it goes. Since they both have been looking at sup surfing waves on YouTube, it isn't about the ride for them. They told me it is about the "glide". I'm the same way.

If sup surfing goes well for them, then this is why I'll go with a new board. It is my way of "paying it forward" like those who did the same for me when I entered the maritime industry.
CJ Nelson Parallax: 9'3" x 23 1/2" x 3 3/16" @ 78.8 Liters (prone surfing longboard; Thunderbolt Technologies build in Red construction)

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: May 14, 2019, 12:55:09 AM »
I’m pretty detail-focussed myself, Night Wing, but you take it to a whole new level. The potential issue with being so detail-focussed is that it is sometimes possible to miss the bigger picture: a decision can be made (or more usually, not made) because of some detail which actually matters far less than one assumes. In this way, the search for perfection can become the enemy of good.

Also, the information that brands supply is often just wrong. This is especially true of the volumes quoted, but often boards are not actually the dimensions of weights quoted either. For instance the SIC Bullet 14ft V1 is actually only 13ft 10”... and widths are notoriously inaccurate too. At one time it was a fun sport on here to spot the errors in the Starboard catalogs each year.

There are so many boards to try. And it is virtually impossible to tell exactly how a board will feel, from the data. The variables all interact in such complex ways. The best way therefore is to try the boards. Well, it’s the only way to be sure, if you are someone like you who wants to make the perfect choice. Try not to exclude boards beforehand, and just try as many as you can of all shapes and sizes. It might surprise you where you end up.

I appreciate that choosing for you is part of the fun. But a priori choices only work if the information you have is correct, and your assumptions are too. Very often it isn’t, and they are not, even for the most knowledgeable SUPer.

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: May 14, 2019, 06:46:09 AM »
@ Area 10

In the maritime industry, companies hire people like me because they need and want people focusing on the details no matter how small or large, "first" and the big picture "second". If a boat captain piloting a platform supply vessel (PSV) makes a mistake, it is a big deal. Mistakes can damage a vessel, put the lives of the crew in jeopardy and can attribute to the damage or loss of cargo.

And if the US Coast Guard gets involved, that is a nightmare for anyone who is the main target of a Coast Guard Board of Inquiry. If wrongdoing is confirmed, the penalties are severe. Captains of platform supply vessels take their boats out in all types of weather, wind and water conditions. This is why they make very good money because of the responsibilities they must innately have, their piloting skills, their smarts, their common sense and their ability to think on the fly to make the correct decision when all hell is breaking loose, even if that decision goes against conventional wisdom.

Getting back to a used sup board, used boards can look good, but if they have a pinhole in them which allows water to enter the board. With a crack in the board which can create a pinhole, water is easy to get into a sup, but getting it out is not easy. This is why in the discussion of guest board, I would rather purchase a new board.

As for manufacturers "fudging" on the weights of their sup boards, there aren't too many places in Texas which sell sups. So there is no way to "try the boards" as you suggest. The nearest largest supplier of sups in Texas is SUP Atx in Austin which is 160 miles from me. But their selection of sups isn't that good (in my opinion).

The next place which has a much better place is Mariner Sails located in Dallas, Texas. And they are 250 miles from me. Mariner carries Hobie, Bote, etc.

But if I buy a sup board from Global Surf Industries (Tom Carroll Outer Reef 11'0") or Blue Planet (Duke 10'5"), it will be shipped to a shipping transport company near me or to a major airport (Houston Intercontinental-IAH) where I can pick it up and inspect it "first" before taking possession of it.

Badger has the Outer Reef 10'6" and I can rely on him for his reviews on his new board. With Blue Planet, since there are not any reviews or videos of his "Duke" model, I have to rely on Robert's knowledge with regards to his designs and I know he tests his own designs on the water. If his designs pan out, they those design plans are shipped to his factory location. I know Robert visits his factory to make sure the specifications to his designs are being carried out to the letter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iMcjF1qrpaQ

Although I searched high and low for a video of the Duke and it's predecessor, the Nirvana which was tweaked to then released as the Duke, I couldn't find one.

But I'm persistent. After googling the Duke and Nirvana for "images", I found a site which at the time was selling the Nirvana so I took a look at the site. And it just so happens on that site, I found a short overview video of the Nirvana. At least I could actually see a video of the Duke's predecessor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0Yd4Es_0RM

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: May 14, 2019, 08:09:30 AM »
The board in this category that I’m currently drooling over is the SIC Saber 11-6.

That’s a real do-it-all board, and it has the truly wonderful SIC handle too. It’s one of those details that makes such a difference for day-to-day use, and I’ve also been amazed at how often having deck bungees is really useful on my all-round boards as well.

spirit4earth

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: May 14, 2019, 10:21:07 AM »
Night Wing, the Houston airport allows you to inspect freight before signing for it?  They wouldn’t let me do it at the Delta/United cargo terminal in Charlotte.  Had to sign first.

RideTheGlide

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #103 on: May 14, 2019, 11:43:51 AM »
Night Wing, the Houston airport allows you to inspect freight before signing for it?  They wouldn’t let me do it at the Delta/United cargo terminal in Charlotte.  Had to sign first.
I was all wigged out about my board coming freight when the shop's policy said if I signed for it I was accepting it and they had no further liability and the freight company said no inspection before signing unless there is container damage. The shop said if I was really worried then refuse it, but that 14' cartons never show up without exterior damage. It had exterior damage, I was allowed to inspect it and the interior packaging protected it fine. BTW, I hung on to the box; the damage isn't so bad that I can't use it as a sleeve in my crawlspace.
2017 GoPlus 9'9"
2018 Hydro-Force fastblast 12'6"
2019 BKC 12'

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: May 14, 2019, 11:49:19 AM »
... BTW, I hung on to the box; the damage isn't so bad that I can't use it as a sleeve in my crawlspace.
That's a great idea RTG.  Just keep in mind, as I'm certain you already know, cardboard will hold grit and can be abrasive.

* Recent Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal