Author Topic: A "Guest" Sup: 3 Main Choices  (Read 23162 times)

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: A "Guest" Sup: 3 Main Choices
« Reply #30 on: April 28, 2019, 01:38:35 AM »
I’ve sometimes wondered if distributors knowingly send boards that are damaged, to customers in inadequate packaging, in order to be able to claim from the couriers for what would otherwise be a virtually worthless item.

So, now (especially if a board is being offered at a huge discount) I ask the person selling the board to send me extensive pictures of the actual board, including the serial number, before I buy it. I suppose they could still fake the pics, if they have enough stock. But I can tell you that on a couple of occasions I’ve found that the board that was apparently available suddenly became unavailable once I asked for pictures... coincidence? Hmm...

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 28, 2019, 05:06:59 AM »
JL boards come from Vietnam. I've unpacked a few at my local dealer and thought they were packaged pretty well. Problems might occur if the board was unpacked by a dealer and then repacked and sent to a customer.

The Tom Carroll boards are made in Australia I think. The price of $1100 with free shipping makes me wonder what I'll be getting. I'll take pics of each step as I unbox it tomorrow.
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300
Sunova Flow  8'10 X 31"  119L
Me - 6'0" - 165lbs - 66yo

spirit4earth

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 28, 2019, 08:22:29 AM »
I think the JL boards were in their factory packaging, which was fine for air travel.  The problem is with ground travel, and yes, fedex carries half the blame for the damage.  I din’t th8nk any shipping company’s warehouses employees are going to give a fig about stickers like “no forklift please”. They just want to get the board from loading dock 2 to loading dock 32. 
The JL warehouse is now out of the board I want, and as I see it, 2 boards have been wasted.
Night Wing, the bubble wrap idea is what is required.  SOMETHING has to be put on the rails to protect them.  A mere cardboard box won’t suffice.  If I try again with JL, I’ll ask that the original shipping box be opened and either foam or bubble wrap is placed along the rail line.  The problem now is there are no more boards like the one I want.
On that note, I want to thank everyone who has advised and supported me on my board quest.  You know who you are!  I want to thank supthecreek, ponobill, and stoneaxe for their amazing generosity, which got me started on this great stand-up trip.
Now, I need to find an alternative to the JL Cruise Control.....

supcymru

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 28, 2019, 09:04:14 AM »
Really sorry to hear about your bad luck with both of the boards - such a shame. I hope that you get some better luck (and better service from the courier) with whichever board you go for!

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Piney Woods of Southeast Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 28, 2019, 01:08:41 PM »
Night Wing, the bubble wrap idea is what is required.  SOMETHING has to be put on the rails to protect them.  A mere cardboard box won’t suffice.  If I try again with JL, I’ll ask that the original shipping box be opened and either foam or bubble wrap is placed along the rail line.  The problem now is there are no more boards like the one I want.

Just keep this in mind. There are different grades of cardboard, from light to heavy duty, just like there are different grades of stainless steel. Sup Sports (StandUp PaddleSports) uses heavy duty cardboard boxes to ship their customer's sups world wide.

The heavy duty cardboard they use to ship their sups; plus the other material used in conjunction to protect their customer's boards, is the reason why the total weight of my board when it was shipped for transit, weighed 99 lbs.
Blue Planet Duke: 10'5" x 32" x 4.5" @ 190 Liters (2 Dukes)
Sup Sports Hammer: 8'11" x 31" x 4" @ 140 Liters
SUP Sports One World: 11'1" x 30" x 4.5" @ 173 Liters
CJ Nelson Parallax: 9'3" x 23 1/2" x 3 3/16" @ 78.8 Liters (prone surfing longboard; Thunderbolt Technologies build in Red construction)

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 28, 2019, 01:54:01 PM »
The shipping weight for my Outer Reef 10'6 (containing just board and fins) is 41 pounds.

« Last Edit: April 28, 2019, 01:56:55 PM by Badger »
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 28, 2019, 02:45:52 PM »
The shipping weight for my Outer Reef 10'6 (containing just board and fins) is 41 pounds.

I guess you're looking forward to Monday's delivery.  ;)
CJ Nelson Parallax: 9'3" x 23 1/2" x 3 3/16" @ 78.8 Liters (prone surfing longboard; Thunderbolt Technologies build in Red construction)

NorthJerzSurfer

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #37 on: April 28, 2019, 06:11:58 PM »

I guess you're looking forward to Monday's delivery.  ;)

uh oh. thats basically shinkwrapped!

supnsurf

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 28, 2019, 07:08:48 PM »
NW did you not like the one world board ?  It looks nice .
Rawson 8'8" Impala

L41 8'8"

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 28, 2019, 09:23:41 PM »
NW did you not like the one world board ?  It looks nice .

I love my custom built Sup Sports "One World". A production made One World is 11'1" x 30" x 4.6" @ 200 liters with 3 fin boxes. My custom made One World is 11'1" x 30" x 4.5" @ 173 liters with 5 fin boxes with the rails thinned out.

My custom One World was built for my physical weight between 144-146 lbs with thinned out rails so it would surf well with the waves I would encounter on the upper Texas coast on a "regular basis". And I even added a Blue Planet Sup Grip to make it easy to carry. With deckpad installed, which includes a kickpad and using a 4 fin quad setup (2, 5") (2, 4") for sup surfing, my One World weighs 22 lbs, 14 oz. And I even added 2 vent plugs because southeast Texas gets real hot during the months of July and August with heat indexes between 108 degrees F and 115 degrees F.

Let me be clear about this. My guest board is not for me. My guest board is for my guests who aren't used to being on a 30" wide sup. This is why when I was looking for a guest board, I was looking at production made boards between 31" to 32.5" wide and volume between 175 to 187 liters (or there abouts). I think my "balanced challenged" guests can handle these two parameters. I also wanted the guest  board to have 3 fin boxes and the length of the board would be between 10'10" to 11'2".

This is why I am looking at the 10'11" NSP Allrounder in CocoFlax construction, 11' Naish Nalu in GS construction and the Outer Reef 11' in MX construction as my choices for a guest board.

If the NSP Allrounder 10'11" x 32.25" x 4.06" @ 186 liters comes with 5 fin boxes, with the thinned out rails of this sup, this is my first choice for the guest board. I still have to call NSP to find out if this 10'11" model comes with 5 fin boxes. I think this sup would make a good flat water paddler and if it does come with 5 fin boxes, it would surf very well with a 4 fin quad setup. And I have to find out if this board has a vent plug since a vent plug is not listed in the specifications and the picture of it does not show a vent plug either.

« Last Edit: April 28, 2019, 09:28:49 PM by Night Wing »

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 29, 2019, 01:21:58 AM »
My “guest board” is a 11-6 x 31” 209L JP Australia longboard.

Super stable, but also fun for me to surf in small waves - it’s so stable that even a kook like me can do coffin rides etc. It paddles flat water fine, comparable in speed to other all-rounder surf shapes, and possibly slightly better than some (eg. the Starboard Blend) because the rocker is a bit flatter.

I’ve also got inflatables that guests can use. They can be good for guests because they are less dangerous when they fall. The problem with iSUPs however is that they will be falling more often: The dreaded “iSUP wobble”. But I can lend my iSUPs to guests and never have to worry about dings. That’s a HUGE advantage.

Guests rarely realise how fragile hard SUPs are. So something like the super-tough BIC Board is also a good idea. But guests also typically struggle to carry heavy boards, and tough epoxy boards are heavy.

Has anyone tried the Bounce boards? What happened to them - haven’t heard anything for a while?

Ichabod Spoonbill

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Hudson Valley, NY
    • View Profile
    • HVH2O
    • Email
« Reply #41 on: April 29, 2019, 02:05:42 AM »

Super stable, but also fun for me to surf in small waves - it’s so stable that even a kook like me can do coffin rides etc. It paddles flat water fine, comparable in speed to other all-rounder surf shapes, and possibly slightly better than some (eg. the Starboard Blend) because the rocker is a bit flatter.

I’ve also got inflatables that guests can use. They can be good for guests because they are less dangerous when they fall. The problem with iSUPs however is that they will be falling more often: The dreaded “iSUP wobble”. But I can lend my iSUPs to guests and never have to worry about dings. That’s a HUGE advantage.

Guests rarely realise how fragile hard SUPs are. So something like the super-tough BIC Board is also a good idea. But guests also typically struggle to carry heavy boards, and tough epoxy boards are heavy.

Has anyone tried the Bounce boards? What happened to them - haven’t heard anything for a while?

Bounce is still around. They haven't come out with any new models in years though. I think they're content to just sell to rental fleets.
Pau Hana 11' Big EZ Ricochet (Beluga)

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 29, 2019, 04:38:32 AM »

When I was looking to get my second board, I was looking at a board at around 10'6" in length and was all set to purchase a custom built Sup Sports 10'6""Hammer". But then "Fate" stepped in with the tearing of my right rotator cuff being 90% torn through (based on the MRI). After surgery my orthopedic surgeon told me to stay off my 8'11" board for one year since I had a lot of damage in the right shoulder and I was double stitched inside. He didn't want me surfing down at Surfside and somehow re-injuring my right shoulder.

With all of that time on my hands and getting (pardon the pun here) "board" because I wasn't allowed to ride my 8'11" Hammer, I went down to the Palms Marina on Lake Conroe on a Sunday morning where I knew there would be some flat water paddlers riding their boards. BTW, the Palms Lake marina has a streaming webcam and it is at the link below.

Now, I don't know if the streaming webcam uses Flash or not, but I have Flash installed on all of my 4 computers since I dual boot Linux Mint and Windows 7 and I'm usually 95% of the time using Linux Mint. I have never had any problems with Flash so I'm not as worried about Flash like some people are.

http://www.lakeconroewebcams.com/palms-marina-webcam/

While down at the marina on that Sunday morning, "Lady Luck" was with me. There was a woman down there who had just came back to the marina from her flat water paddling session. To make a long story short, we struck up a conversation. She was 5'11" and weighed 145 lbs. I'm 5'8" and at the time, I was 144 lbs.

She was paddling a 2009 year model Starboard Blend 11'2" x 30" @ 168 liters. She asked me, right then and there, if I wanted to demo ride her Blend around the marina's boat slips. I took her up on her offer and hoped nothing would happen to me since I remembered my surgeon's words about not paddling a sup.

The first 5 minutes of paddling her 30" wide Blend was an "adventure" for me since I was used to paddling my 8'11" x 31" Hammer. After 5 minutes, I got used to the longer 11'2" length and the 30" width. When I came back after 20 minutes, I asked the woman about sup surfing her board down at Surfside, Texas.

She told me Surfside is the best place to surf her 11'2" Blend. But she made a point to tell me in choppy water conditions, she wished her Blend had 5 more liters of volume in it which means her Blend would have been at 173 liters instead of 168 liters. I remembered her words when I ordered my custom One World 11'1" x 30" and I told Wardog (Warren) I wanted my One World 11'1" x 30" to have 173 liters of volume.

So my parameters for my One World was patterned after the Starboard Blend 11'2" x 30". Below is a video of Scott McKercher surfing a 2014 year model, 174 liters Starboard Blend. My One World has some modifications to it when compared to the Blend. I think the Blend's rails in 2014 were 50/50 but my One World's rails are 60/40 to take advantage of the small waves I usually encounter here on the upper Texas coast.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dUkgWgGCbtw

Speaking just for myself, at my 146 lb present weight, I find when sup boards have 200 liters of volume or more, I find these boards are "corky" in feeling to me because of the high boxy type of rails so this is why I'm a fan of thinned out rails. When I got the idea of a guest board, I had to look at all of my friend's "physical weight". My next door neighbor has relatively good balance and he weighs 180 lbs. My wife's youngest niece weighs 125 lbs and she has excellent balance since she snow skis.

This is why I chose as my upper liter volume to be around 187 liters to avoid the corky feeling any of my guests might encounter at their weight and also, the length of the boards I'm thinking about, would surf well at Surfside with a minimum 3 fin boxes.

In my personal opinion, I think in choppy water conditions, standing closer to the waterline is better. This is why I really like the 4.06" thickness of the NSP 10'11" Allrounder in CocoFlax construction with 186 liters of volume.

I'm a detailed oriented person and to me, "the Devil is in the details" and if one doesn't pay attention to the small details, those details can sometimes come back and bite someone in the rear end.  ;)

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 29, 2019, 06:03:22 AM »
The 11-6 JP Australia longboard has thinner rails than you’d think. It doesn’t feel corky at all, and is super-stable even in chop. The Litres of a board is not a very good guide to how a board feels.

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 29, 2019, 06:15:30 AM »
My second board was a 2013 174 liter Starboard Blend which I had for a few years. I never liked the way it surfed, mostly because of the parallel rails.

Ever since then I've avoided longboard shapes and have always gone with a curved outline no matter what the length because they are so much easier to turn.

What I like about the Outer Reef is the continuously curved outline. The reason why I went with 10'6 is because as you go longer with that same shape, the board gets slower, requiring modifications to the shape to improve glide which is not apparent on the longer Outer Reefs. Modifications such as narrower width, harder rails, flatter rocker, etc.

« Last Edit: April 29, 2019, 07:12:20 AM by Badger »
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal