Author Topic: A "Guest" Sup: 3 Main Choices  (Read 23167 times)

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Piney Woods of Southeast Texas
    • View Profile
Re: A "Guest" Sup: 3 Main Choices
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2019, 05:50:28 PM »
Guest board? Anything near the size you want that’s on craigslist.

It’s that simple. But if you travel at all the inflatable was a good suggestion.

Gulf coast surfing? I’d go with a 14’er and just roll in from way outside. ;)

So far, nothing on Craigslist in my area for the length of the sup board I want.

I don't do much long distance traveling with my 11'1" sup. When I go down to the beach and stay overnight, on Galveston Island, I stay at the motel/hotel in the link below because I can get a first floor room with a door which opens to the parking lot where my truck is parked for the night in front of my room. I do this because I can bring my sup into the room with me for the night. This way I know it won't get stolen.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g1887325-d291286-Reviews-Gaido_s_Seaside_Inn-Galveston_Island_Texas.html

And when I stay overnight near Surfside, I usually stay at the motel/hotel at the link below in Angleton for the same reason.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g30171-d106170-Reviews-Best_Western_Angleton_Inn-Angleton_Texas.html

As for a 14' sup, this length doesn't appeal to me. Good downwinder length, but I don't think our small wave height waves on the upper Texas coast would make this length poor for sup surfing.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2019, 06:33:44 PM by Night Wing »
Blue Planet Duke: 10'5" x 32" x 4.5" @ 190 Liters (2 Dukes)
Sup Sports Hammer: 8'11" x 31" x 4" @ 140 Liters
SUP Sports One World: 11'1" x 30" x 4.5" @ 173 Liters
CJ Nelson Parallax: 9'3" x 23 1/2" x 3 3/16" @ 78.8 Liters (prone surfing longboard; Thunderbolt Technologies build in Red construction)

NorthJerzSurfer

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2019, 06:43:16 AM »
sounds like a wait for an allrounder on Craigslist.....

or.  Agree with above- get YOU another board that you would want that also serves an all-around or guest purpose.

I know every board that wasn't a dedicated surf sup I have ever bought i bought under the premise it was for guests or my wife but ALWAYS was a board I wanted to ride in certain conditions that filled a quiver hole for me.

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2019, 11:00:14 AM »
Badger,  It will be interesting to see how you like it. Did not TC's rep take a hit on the first iteration of his boards?   I remember Peter Cabrinha having a brief go ...and early departure.  Sometimes these guys look like old jockeys signing autographs at the track.

Too bad about the oyster shells, Winger...  Not my cuppa (memories of pumping 16-18meter kites is still too fresh in my memory), but something civilians can do Pro Wrestling move upon and not bust anything.   ..the search is fun, I'm sure you'll find something.

Jim
Atlantis Mistress .. Blue Planet MultiTasker ..   Atlantis Venom

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2019, 11:38:46 AM »
Badger,  It will be interesting to see how you like it. Did not TC's rep take a hit on the first iteration of his boards?   I remember Peter Cabrinha having a brief go ...and early departure.  Sometimes these guys look like old jockeys signing autographs at the track.

Jim

I haven't been following the brand that closely.

It's really strange that there is nothing online about these boards other than the redundant sales info. The website is well done with good information about the boards. The boards look good and I like that Blane Chambers is shaping them. It's spooky how there are no reviews good or bad. If they were bad quality I would expect some bad reviews.

Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300
Sunova Flow  8'10 X 31"  119L
Me - 6'0" - 165lbs - 66yo

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2019, 12:39:58 PM »
You underestimate the toughness of modern inflatables. My Red Dragon has been abused in every way conceivable by teenagers for two years. Dragged over rip-rap, dropped in parking lots, crashed into rocks and sharp gravel. A quick rinse and I could sell it as a new board.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2019, 08:58:53 AM »
Thought I would throw a video for the Naish Nalu 11'0" out as well.

I had to look at lots of Nalu 11' videos and he best collection of this board has been DavidJohn's videos. Since most of my friends are between 175-190 lbs, I picked this video since DJ is around 190 lbs and at the end of this video, the boards specs are shown.

Also, my custom built One World is 173 liters and 30" in width and the Nalu is 175 liters and 31" in width which would probably be better for me.  ;) And it can surf small waves which are prevalent on the upper Texas coast.

CJ Nelson Parallax: 9'3" x 23 1/2" x 3 3/16" @ 78.8 Liters (prone surfing longboard; Thunderbolt Technologies build in Red construction)

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2019, 11:43:59 AM »
Winger...   I bought two Nalu a number of years ago  ...there was some outfit down your way that sold 'damaged freight' and I got a 10-6 and 11' pretty cheaply.  (minor issues)  If I remember correctly (and he can correct me) DJ is like 6-4 'merican size, so that solid-teak feeling 11', would not exercise his biceps much. I should have kept the 10-6 but Yellow wore me out  ...the 10-6 from Blue Planet is more suited to my clumsy form.

_________________  sorry for the hijack Winger

Badger,  See if you can dig into the archives of the Breeze. I'd like to be wrong, but I think I remember his great name not equating into an above average board.  I remember seeing Blaine Chambers shapes, and even a guy from the Upper Midwest can recognize a great sculptor, but I wonder if it takes a great rider to realize his vision?  If I have learned anything the hard way: someone with lesser skills should not attempt to ride a high-level board in C'hit for conditions.  It only slows your progress.

Jim   
Atlantis Mistress .. Blue Planet MultiTasker ..   Atlantis Venom

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 22, 2019, 03:11:20 PM »
Winger...   I bought two Nalu a number of years ago  ...there was some outfit down your way that sold 'damaged freight' and I got a 10-6 and 11' pretty cheaply.  (minor issues)  If I remember correctly (and he can correct me) DJ is like 6-4 'merican size, so that solid-teak feeling 11', would not exercise his biceps much. I should have kept the 10-6 but Yellow wore me out  ...the 10-6 from Blue Planet is more suited to my clumsy form.

_________________  sorry for the hijack Winger

You didn't hijack anything. When I started looking at choices, I looked at Blue Planet's lineup and the Boss 10'8" at 36", Da Pops 10'10" at 33", Wave 11'0" at 34", Da Ohana 11'2" at 40" are all too wide because I set my maximum width limit at (32.5").

JimK

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Big Guys can have fun too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 23, 2019, 05:16:19 AM »
NightWing

You will LOVE the Naish Nalu 11Ft rides wave and flatwater "As smooth as Silk" Easy to nose ride
I know you MORE than qualify for our ZONER DEAL to get it at a good PRICE

JimK
Extreme Windsurfing

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 23, 2019, 05:50:16 AM »
NightWing

You will LOVE the Naish Nalu 11Ft rides wave and flatwater "As smooth as Silk" Easy to nose ride
I know you MORE than qualify for our ZONER DEAL to get it at a good PRICE

JimK
Extreme Windsurfing

I already knew about your Zoner's discount pricing. Since I've been on this site, one day short of 2 years as of this date and I am a regular participant in posting here on the Zone along with being the owner of two sup boards, I already knew about your Zoner deals and had put this "detail" into my mind for "future reference" about a year ago.

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 25, 2019, 10:09:04 AM »
@ Scallop

Just curious.

Since you have the NSP 10'11" Allrounder and since it has 5 fin boxes, have you ever ridden it with a 4 fin quad setup?

Scallop

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: April 25, 2019, 11:32:05 AM »
Never got to it. I looked for a Lopez set but couldn't find it in FCSI. Mostly ran it as a single with a 9" California Special or a 4A or with the 4A and 4 1/2 sides for the few times I have had it out over waist high.

I do think you are on the right track. I put a Sunova Mako 7 in it that I got with my Steeze and the performance increase was noticeable, easier to swing and MUCH faster on the wave and in flat water. I just run that in it all the time now when I use it and forgot about the quads.

If your are looking at this again the best thing I can say about the Elements layup is that it's cheap and easy to fix, wouldn't recommend it unless those 2 factors are the driver. But..... I also don't care so much when my wife or a guest runs it up on a scallop bed (I had a chuckle when you mentioned that, has happened) Don't know if the more expensive layups are better or not but they advertise as a lot lighter which is something.

All that being said it's super stable, easy to surf and paddles flat water pretty darn good when the chop's not too bad.
Sunova Steeze 9'6"
NSP Coco Flax Allrounder 10'11"
NSP Elements Allrounder 10'11"
Surftech 10'6"

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 25, 2019, 08:44:43 PM »
@ Scallop

I asked about the 4 fin quad setup because when I sup surf, with the waves I "generally" encounter on the upper Texas coast, I use a 4 quad fin setup on my 11'1" One World. The quad fin setup makes my 11'1" board go faster speed wise when compared with a 2 + 1 fin setup.

And with the three boards I'm presently looking at in the topic thread, the options for all three boards are still open.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2019, 09:04:48 PM by Night Wing »

spirit4earth

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 27, 2019, 01:40:32 PM »
NW, are you still looking?  Craigslist rarely/never has anything where I live either.  My JL deal might be falling through, thanks to fedex’s brutality, which leaves me on the search once again.

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 27, 2019, 07:00:21 PM »
NW, are you still looking?

I'm not really looking anymore. I'm basically biding my time. All three sups I've listed for my guest board are still being considered.

Beside, I'm waiting on Badger to get his Tom Carroll "Outer Reef" 10'6" from the shipping company to see how it fared in transit to his home. I'm going to see how it was packaged for shipment and compare it against how my One World was packaged for shipping since the Outer Reef 11'0" is still in the running as my choices go.

My One World, with a board bag, a new paddle leash and 6 fins I ordered came to around a total of 33 lbs. But when I got the confirmation on the tracking number, the info on the shipping label also included the weight of the package and it came to 99 lbs.

My One World, along with the new paddle leash and 6 fins, they were all inside the board bag. Then the board bag was wrapped in lots of bubble wrap and covered in taped cardboard pieces covering the bubble wrap.

Then all of this was put in one large rectangular heavy duty cardboard sup box for shipping. Then this box was then put into a second larger heavy weight rectangular heavy duty cardboard sup box. So it was "tripled wrapped".

And this is why there was no damage in transit from Santa Barbara, California to the shipping terminal in northwest Houston (Texas) where I picked it up at the shipping terminal and opened it up at the shipping terminal to check for damage.

I look at it this way. With a custom built board costing around $2200 and since I'm paying for the shipping, I'm the one who says how it is going to be shipped (like trying to get into Fort Knox). And if any company doesn't want to "heavy duty wrap" a board I'm buying from the company, then the deal is 'off". I discussed all of this when I was dealing with WarDog (Warren Thomas of Sup Sports) and he agreed to my shipping "wants, needs and likes" when I placed the order for my 11'1" One World.

If a custom board gets damaged, it would take another 8 weeks to get a second one and this is why I wanted my board to be packed........"to the hilt" if you get my drift.

My custom One World was ordered on Dec 7th, 2017 and it arrived on Feb 7th, 2018. That was 8 weeks (two months). If you want to see how my custom One World was packaged, go to the link below and near the end of the topic thread, you'll see how it was packaged since I took quite a few pictures of it at the shipping terminal. And there are 12 pages in the link below with 112 replies. You might find the below link interesting reading.

https://www.standupzone.com/forum/index.php/topic,32850.0.html

BTW, I read how your two JL boards were damaged when you inspected them, but I think half the blame goes to FedEx. I have a nagging feeling though, when the board was shipped from JL, it wasn't packaged well enough for transit. Just a guess on my part since you didn't provide any pictures of the two packaged boards.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal