Author Topic: A "Guest" Sup: 3 Main Choices  (Read 23161 times)

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Piney Woods of Southeast Texas
    • View Profile
A "Guest" Sup: 3 Main Choices
« on: April 20, 2019, 08:44:08 AM »
I've been toying with the idea of getting a "guest" sup so some of my friends can go flat water paddling and also do some sup surfing (if they are adventurous enough) with me.  ;) Nothing is set in stone at this point in time.

I've been looking at production made, not custom made, sups. I've also got some "wants & needs" for my choices. They are:

1) Length between 10'10" & 11'2"
2) Width between 31" & 32.50"
3) Thickness between 4" to 4.75"
4) Volume between 175 to 190 liters (or there abouts)
5) At least 3 fin boxes
6) Durable construction

By doing lots of research, I've come down to three choices (at this point). They are the NSP Allrounder 10'11" in Cocoflax construction, Naish 11'0" Nalu GS construction and the Tom Carroll Outer Reef in MX construction. The links to all three are below for their specifications and where applicable, the construction links (I can find) as well.

For the NSP Allrounder:

https://www.nspsurfboards.com/product/cocoflax-allrounder/

https://www.nspsurfboards.com/new-cocoflax-2019/

The one big advantage why I made the NSP Allrounder 10'11" my "leading" choice is because it has 5 fin boxes and I love the versatility and customization I can do with 5 fin boxes in both flat water and in the small to medium type of waves on the upper Texas coast where I sup surf. And the 4.06" thickness is an added bonus. At 186 liters of volume with a 4.06" thickness at it's thickest part, it has to have thinned out rails so surfing this board should be pleasurable.

I don't know anything about Cocoflax construction so I'm a little in the dark about this type of construction.

For the Naish Nalu 11'0"

https://www.naishsurfing.com/product/nalu-110-gs/

I think the GS construction would be better for the "everyday bumps and knocks" (dings) if you get my drift. It has 3 fin boxes.

For the Tom Carroll Outer Reef

https://shop.surfindustries.com/us/surf/stand-up-paddle-boards/all-rounder/tom-carroll-outer-reef-mx/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6gdp3PkzFv4

The Outer Reef also has 3 fin boxes The physical weight of the 11' Outer Reef in MX construction is "not" listed. However, an older 11' Outer Reef in CX construction is a heavy 30 lbs. I'm guessing the MX construction might be near 30 lbs also. But the guest board will always have two people around so this heavy weight will be discounted with help from the second person.

The main drawback to the Outer Reef is there is no US dealer so shipping this board from Australia or wherever they ship this board from, the shipping cost might be as high as the cost of the board itself.

So there you have it. Any comments are welcome both pro and con.

Blue Planet Duke: 10'5" x 32" x 4.5" @ 190 Liters (2 Dukes)
Sup Sports Hammer: 8'11" x 31" x 4" @ 140 Liters
SUP Sports One World: 11'1" x 30" x 4.5" @ 173 Liters
CJ Nelson Parallax: 9'3" x 23 1/2" x 3 3/16" @ 78.8 Liters (prone surfing longboard; Thunderbolt Technologies build in Red construction)

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
Re: A "Guest" Sup: 3 Main Choices
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2019, 08:50:22 AM »
You are eliminating a lot of nice boards by not accepting 10'6 into your size range. It's the most common size and is a good size for what you are looking for.

As boards get longer than 10'6, they become more difficult to surf, yet 10'6 is still long enough to be good for flatwater.

A 10'6 would also add a mid sized board to your quiver. You might end up surfing it more than your 11'1.

Why have a board that is going to sit around waiting for guests? Get something that you will use as well.

« Last Edit: April 20, 2019, 09:13:08 AM by Badger »
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300
Sunova Flow  8'10 X 31"  119L
Me - 6'0" - 165lbs - 66yo

Scallop

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2019, 11:21:09 AM »
I have the NSP 10’11” in Elements construction, It’s my do everything board. If you can find my posts on here you can see me on it on a few small waves and some shots of the rails.

Let me know what you want to know about it.
Sunova Steeze 9'6"
NSP Coco Flax Allrounder 10'11"
NSP Elements Allrounder 10'11"
Surftech 10'6"

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2019, 11:42:17 AM »
I just checked the GSI website and it shows the Outer Reef - MX 10'6 in stock and on sale for $1095 with free shipping to NH. The MX is last years model.

No one is available to talk to being the weekend. I'll check back during the week and see if this is true. If so, I think I'll order one. I really like those beveled rails.

« Last Edit: April 20, 2019, 11:58:03 AM by Badger »
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2019, 11:59:47 AM »
Winger...  I think Badger nailed it: get second for yourself.  Most civilians I have seen renting them hardly know front from the back ...much less '5 fins'. If it is for 'anybody' that shows up - then I'd get a BIC or something similar - just not some rotomolded POS. Maybe even a 'Wavestorm" from Cosco via. Craigslist.

Get something better if you're planning on becoming an evangelist, but still pretty sturdy - have you ever seen 'real beginners' fall?  I have often taken a second board to the beach, but only had one young guy from OH show any overt interest.  He stayed with it for about a half hour doing 'man-overboard' drills*.  Still, it's good to let people try.

Jim

*he might have been watching me - thinking that's the way it is done?
Atlantis Mistress .. Blue Planet MultiTasker ..   Atlantis Venom

jarvissup

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2019, 12:33:20 PM »
My opinion, which won't be popular, has been well vetted. Get yourself a high quality inflatable, like a Red Paddle 10'6".
    I have a little beach house on the Outer Banks of NC, and we have a bit of a quiver. In that quiver are a few boards we share with the neighbors that serve as "guest boards". These boards have taught a lot of people how to surf, have allowed flat water paddles in the sound, and have even done some light down wind runs both ocean and sound side. They have also been beaten to death and have attempted to do the same to their newby users. New users end up dropping, running aground, and otherwise damaging hard boards as they usually lack a surfing background. They also get hit and run over and injured by these boards causing, at least, a temporary halt to the fun.
    A high quality inflatable is very hard to damage, and doesn't hurt when it hits you. They good ones surf well enough to entertain and they paddle nicely enough on flat water.

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2019, 01:45:08 PM »
You are eliminating a lot of nice boards by not accepting 10'6 into your size range. It's the most common size and is a good size for what you are looking for.

As boards get longer than 10'6, they become more difficult to surf, yet 10'6 is still long enough to be good for flatwater.

A 10'6 would also add a mid sized board to your quiver. You might end up surfing it more than your 11'1.

Why have a board that is going to sit around waiting for guests? Get something that you will use as well.

You live on the East Coast and the state of New Hampshire is my guess so your state borders the Atlantic ocean. I live near the upper Texas coast which borders the Gulf of Mexico.

Both a 11' board and a 10'6" board will do flat water paddling so we're in agreement. But sup surfing here on the upper Texas coast, the 11' board will have a slight advantage over a 10'6" board. I'll explain in the next paragraph.

Your "small" waves off the coast of New Hampshire are "taller" in height than our "medium" sized waves we have here on the upper Texas coast. In order to surf the waves in our location, it takes boards with a higher volume liter wise. So a 11' board will so slightly better than a 10'6" board.

To make my point, take a look at the video in the link below. And the guy in the video states you need a board with more volume for our type of waves we generally run into. And just look at the waves he ran into when the wave height waves which were forecasted, were wrong since they were smaller in height.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z3ynBP6fQNQ
CJ Nelson Parallax: 9'3" x 23 1/2" x 3 3/16" @ 78.8 Liters (prone surfing longboard; Thunderbolt Technologies build in Red construction)

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2019, 01:48:02 PM »
I have the NSP 10’11” in Elements construction, It’s my do everything board. If you can find my posts on here you can see me on it on a few small waves and some shots of the rails.

Let me know what you want to know about it.

If you can find the link or links to those posts of your's concerning the NSP Allrounder 10'11", I would love to see them. In the meantime, I'll see if I can find them.

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2019, 02:24:16 PM »
Winger...  I think Badger nailed it: get second for yourself.  Most civilians I have seen renting them hardly know front from the back ...much less '5 fins'. If it is for 'anybody' that shows up - then I'd get a BIC or something similar - just not some rotomolded POS. Maybe even a 'Wavestorm" from Cosco via. Craigslist.

Get something better if you're planning on becoming an evangelist, but still pretty sturdy - have you ever seen 'real beginners' fall?  I have often taken a second board to the beach, but only had one young guy from OH show any overt interest.  He stayed with it for about a half hour doing 'man-overboard' drills*.  Still, it's good to let people try.

I did a lot more digging this afternoon on the NPS Allrounder 10'11" and I ran into this video below. The title is wrong since it supposed to show a cocomat 10'11" Allrounder. But in the video, it is cocoflax Allrounder 10'11". When the guys turns over the board to show the underside of the board, it has the initials CFX which stands for cocoflax construction and when the camera pans downward, it shows 3 fin boxed and not 5 fin boxes. Bummer!  :(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZL_5wOUmv48

Still, one has to look on the bright side and 3 fin boxes are better than 1 fin box.  ;) And it meets my criteria of 3 fin boxes.

When I go to the beach, I only take one board. I never take two boards. This "guest" board is for when I take someone with me to go sup surfing. As an example. Our youngest niece, when she visits my wife and me, lives in Fort Worth, Texas which is 250 miles north of me. She water skiis, snow skies, etc. This would be a good "guest" board for her. She would ride with me for the 117 miles to Surfside, Texas from our home.

And I have some friends who would like to go with me, but since some of them are "balanced challenged", they need a wide board with good volume in it for our smallish type of waves.

Now, I'm old school so to speak. When I was 15 years old, I learned to surf on a 11' surf longboard. I'm a longboarder at heart. And I really like my 11' One World.

I'll give you an analogy. When I was about 16 years old, my parents told me I needed a formal suit which was fine with me. But I'm picky when it comes to "shoes". The most comfortable dress shoes I found at that age of 16 were.......dress penny loafers. Like wearing a nice comfortable set of slippers. My feet LOVE penny loafers.

I've been buying dress penny loafers all my life. I didn't care if penny loafers went "out of style" decades ago. My feet being "comfortable" was more important to me than "style". I've been wearing dress penny loafers with my dress suits for 53 years now (and counting).

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2019, 02:29:30 PM »

You live on the East Coast and the state of New Hampshire is my guess so your state borders the Atlantic ocean. I live near the upper Texas coast which borders the Gulf of Mexico.

Both a 11' board and a 10'6" board will do flat water paddling so we're in agreement. But sup surfing here on the upper Texas coast, the 11' board will have a slight advantage over a 10'6" board. I'll explain in the next paragraph.

Your "small" waves off the coast of New Hampshire are "taller" in height than our "medium" sized waves we have here on the upper Texas coast. In order to surf the waves in our location, it takes boards with a higher volume liter wise. So a 11' board will so slightly better than a 10'6" board.

To make my point, take a look at the video in the link below. And the guy in the video states you need a board with more volume for our type of waves we generally run into. And just look at the waves he ran into when the wave height waves which were forecasted, were wrong since they were smaller in height.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z3ynBP6fQNQ

Prone board volume and SUP board volume are two entirely different things that have absolutely nothing to do with one another.

I agree with your choice for going longer for your weaker waves, but it's not the high volume of the longer board that gives you more glide, it's the longer waterline. Excess volume just adds to the thickness of the board and has no added benefit for lighter riders such as you and I.

I looked into GSI. It appears to be a good company. I couldn't find a single bad review. So I went ahead and ordered a 10'6 Outer Reef MX through the website.

I thought these boards were from last year but it turns out the MX is the latest model. All sizes are in stock if anyone is interested.

https://shop.surfindustries.com/us/surf/stand-up-paddle-boards/all-rounder/tom-carroll-outer-reef-mx/

Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2019, 02:47:44 PM »
My opinion, which won't be popular, has been well vetted. Get yourself a high quality inflatable, like a Red Paddle 10'6".

An inflatable sup like a Red Paddle is impractical for where we go. For a flat water saltwater marsh cruise, the marsh area is loaded with lots of oyster beds and these oyster beds grow upward from the marsh bottom. The water is so muddy, you can't see them. The sharp edges of the oyster shells will shred the bottom side of an inflatable sup.

Many saltwater kayakers know what "oyster rash" is when the plastic bottom of the hull of their kayaks contacts the sharp edges of an oyster shell. Those deep scratches in the hull's bottom isn't pretty to look at when the kayak bottom hull slides over the sharp edges of an array of oyster shells.

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2019, 02:59:56 PM »
Prone board volume and SUP board volume are two entirely different things that have absolutely nothing to do with one another.

I agree with your choice for going longer for your weaker waves, but it's not the high volume of the longer board that gives you more glide, it's the longer waterline. Excess volume just adds to the thickness of the board and has no added benefit for lighter riders such as you and I.

I looked into GSI. It appears to be a good company. I couldn't find a single bad review. So I went ahead and ordered a 10'6 Outer Reef MX through the website.

I thought these boards were from last year but it turns out the MX is the latest model. All sizes are in stock if anyone is interested.

https://shop.surfindustries.com/us/surf/stand-up-paddle-boards/all-rounder/tom-carroll-outer-reef-mx

The NSP Allrounder 10'11" is just 4.06" in thickness for it's 186 liters. That is not very thick for a sup of this length and volume. I'm guessing the rails on this sup are thinned out. Anyhow, more research is in order.  ;)

BTW, since you ordered a 10'6" Outer Reef, I'd be "very" interested in seeing your review of it when you get it and take it for a "test ride". Inquiring minds, like mine, want to know.   8)

Scallop

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2019, 03:09:48 PM »
Oyster Rash - check has some

Shot of the rails/rocker/outline.

« Last Edit: April 20, 2019, 03:14:43 PM by Scallop »
Sunova Steeze 9'6"
NSP Coco Flax Allrounder 10'11"
NSP Elements Allrounder 10'11"
Surftech 10'6"

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2019, 05:31:19 PM »
Guest board? Anything near the size you want that’s on craigslist.

It’s that simple. But if you travel at all the inflatable was a good suggestion.

Gulf coast surfing? I’d go with a 14’er and just roll in from way outside. ;)

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2019, 05:41:03 PM »
@ Scallop

Thanks for the photos of your NSP Allrounder 10'11. With the video I posted of the 2018 cocoflax constructed NSP Allrounder 10'11" showing 3 fin boxes and with your elements constructed 10'11" showing 5 fin boxes, I'm wondering why the elements constructed one has 5 fin boxes and the cocoflax constructed one has 3 fin boxes.

I guess I will have to contact NSP sometime this upcoming Monday with a phone call or an email and find out "what is what" concerning the number of fin boxes. If it comes down to the different types of construction for the 10'11' Allrounder which dictates how many fin boxes the 10'11' comes with, I would gladly switch to the elements construction if it comes with 5 fin boxes.

BTW, thanks for finding your photos. Those photos are much appreciated by me. :)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal