Author Topic: Surfing Myanmar biggest tidal bore of the year  (Read 6557 times)

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Surfing Myanmar biggest tidal bore of the year
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2019, 11:13:30 AM »
That was crazy! The river looks so huge. I'd be scared! And that put out on the river bank looked extra challenging.
Great video. Love the drone scenics. Too bad there's no drone footage of the sup riding. Would need a really experienced drone pilot for that.

Hi surfercook,
Yes the river is really huge and it is always challenging to get out of the water with the tide stream.
Sure I also miss the drone footage of sup riding, I am by myself for everything out there, so little bit difficult, but I have a technique in mind to do it...next time

Given the short ride time the "follow me" feature on some drones would work well. You would be taking a chance on splashdown, but most drones are stable enough now to behave themselves and would return to the launch site when the battery gets low. I'm fiddling with modifying a Mavic Air to do something similar. I'll let you know how it goes. What drone are you using?
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Myanmar Sup

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2019, 11:29:48 AM »
That was crazy! The river looks so huge. I'd be scared! And that put out on the river bank looked extra challenging.
Great video. Love the drone scenics. Too bad there's no drone footage of the sup riding. Would need a really experienced drone pilot for that.

Hi surfercook,
Yes the river is really huge and it is always challenging to get out of the water with the tide stream.
Sure I also miss the drone footage of sup riding, I am by myself for everything out there, so little bit difficult, but I have a technique in mind to do it...next time

Given the short ride time the "follow me" feature on some drones would work well. You would be taking a chance on splashdown, but most drones are stable enough now to behave themselves and would return to the launch site when the battery gets low. I'm fiddling with modifying a Mavic Air to do something similar. I'll let you know how it goes. What drone are you using?

I am using Mavic 2 pro. Yes, take off from the ground, set RTH, start active mode set on you, get onto the water for the ride, let the drone do RTH when running out of battery, then manage to get back to takeoff spot as quickly as possible to collect the bird and the video. Possible on paper, most likely more difficult in action, synchronization needs to be perfect...Let me know if you manage something like that, I will test the procedure as well.

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2019, 05:04:11 PM »
adventure!
thx for sharing...
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

surfinJ

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2019, 11:58:33 PM »
Yes, what an excellent adventure vid.
Out alone in that huge expanse of churning water!  That must have been a real adrenaline producer.
Very smart idea, your high odds takeoff technique.

And your edit was real quality as well. A lot of time spent there.

Myanmar Sup

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2019, 05:03:11 AM »
adventure!
thx for sharing...

Hi eastbound,
That's right, I like it adventurous!  :) :)

Myanmar Sup

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2019, 05:32:19 AM »
Yes, what an excellent adventure vid.
Out alone in that huge expanse of churning water!  That must have been a real adrenaline producer.
Very smart idea, your high odds takeoff technique.

And your edit was real quality as well. A lot of time spent there.

Hi surfinJ,
Thank you. You're right, I had incredible shots of adrenaline! You can feel it coming up to your brain when you first start hearing the background noise of the bore approaching; you cannot see it at once, depending where you are standing in launch position. The noise is growing step by step, then you start seeing that thing coming straight into you. What makes it even more exciting is that it changes every day in its configuration, size, shape, direction...Timewise it is usually happening within few hours before sunset and it's coming while you're blinded by the sun, so you never know what to expect exactly until it is close to you and you have to adjust your position versus the wave (where you thing is the most suitable for a take off) and prepare your take off within a few seconds.

I must say that first couple of times it turned me upside down, so I had to adjust my take off technique  :) :) :) I looked carefully at the videos to analyze how I could improve and I came up with that one. It worked quite well on first attempt and I was quite happy with that.

Editing was another challenge... Took me three days almost full time.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2019, 11:07:12 AM »

Hi surfercook,

I am using Mavic 2 pro. Yes, take off from the ground, set RTH, start active mode set on you, get onto the water for the ride, let the drone do RTH when running out of battery, then manage to get back to takeoff spot as quickly as possible to collect the bird and the video. Possible on paper, most likely more difficult in action, synchronization needs to be perfect...Let me know if you manage something like that, I will test the procedure as well.

Well you've got the right drone for that. My notion is that the RTH location would be at the takeout point, in the bed of my pickup truck. Move the drone to the takeoff point, active follow, then RTH to the takeout point. I don't know that the RTH would manage remaining battery power properly. In the old days I could tweak the code, but in the old days I'd be working with a drone that couldn't handle all the other stuff--like not crashing into me or the water. My target for doing this is Hood River downwinders, which means a flight distance of about seven miles. It's definitely pushing the envelope. I'll try it on dry land with a beacon first and let you know how it goes. I should know by the end of May. There's no good place to do the experiment here on Maui and other projects have priority.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

supthecreek

« Reply #22 on: April 16, 2019, 08:55:21 PM »
Really cool video Jean-Marc!

You do take a considerable risk of being dragged a long distance from launch.... balls'y stuff!

The landing looks sketchy as well, so good job :-)
Nice folks to welcome you to their neighborhood for your adventures.... happy folks, and you are great with the kids!

The Speeed is a good choice for that wave... the nose is almost foolproof for the chop and challenging water.

I just acquired a Mavic Pro so I'll be experimenting with the "follow me" feature for some flat-water vids when I get my wings.

Myanmar Sup

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2019, 04:51:15 PM »
Really cool video Jean-Marc!

You do take a considerable risk of being dragged a long distance from launch.... balls'y stuff!

The landing looks sketchy as well, so good job :-)
Nice folks to welcome you to their neighborhood for your adventures.... happy folks, and you are great with the kids!

The Speeed is a good choice for that wave... the nose is almost foolproof for the chop and challenging water.

I just acquired a Mavic Pro so I'll be experimenting with the "follow me" feature for some flat-water vids when I get my wings.

Hi Rick,

Thank you for watching till the end and for your comments.
You're right, you can be dragged some distance away, you need to plan really well your launch and landing spots giving the direction of the wave you want to catch. First few times I had to walk back to base through the rice fields or wait 2 hours after landing that tide stream decreases before paddling back, took me ages! I had a session with my friend, he had a nice ride on a wave that was going towards other side of the river. He was dragged 4 km downstream after finishing his ride! He was exhausted fighting against the stream. I had to find a fisherman's boat to rescue him and to have him back to our base before dark. Following day, tidal bore schedule was just 45 min before sunset, so he gave up. I went but planned a ride coming towards right side of the river.
Then you need to find the suitable spot for landing  :)
And yes, Myanmar people are lovely people. I love this country and the people here and I enjoy chatting with the kids.

The Speed is doing well on that wave. I use a 9'5, I wouldn't mind slightly bigger size to have even more stability on that bore.

This tidal bore thing is the main reason why I got myself a Mavic drone a few months ago. I always had in mind to try to have it following me while riding it. Still some work to do  :D.
Have fun with your new toy! 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal