Author Topic: DIY kite wing  (Read 11052 times)

SUPeter

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
DIY kite wing
« on: April 16, 2019, 05:14:22 AM »
I have many old kitesurfing kites and am plan on cutting them up to fabricate a kite wing based upon Duotone, Ozone, and or Naish kitewing types.  Any information to add to the current brain storm in my head would be appreciated.  That just looks like the perfect tool for Maine, where the beaches are few and the winds are many.

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines

SUPeter

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: DIY kite wing
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2019, 06:35:15 AM »
Cool! Thanks!  I forgot to mention that the leading edge and center strut must be inflatable though I've seen several videos of framed kite wings being used in water.  Just thought the inflatables would be safer and easier to get up and flying.  The whole rigmarole of laying out a kite and strings and launching the thing up here in down east Maine just makes this hand held rig look so much easier.  Down wind foiling would be so much less of a hassle: being able to sail back upwind would eliminate the need for a shuttle.  I plan on restructuring the leading inflatable tube so that both wing sweep and dihedral exist, leaving a very large diameter tube to curve back gradually to the tips. 

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2019, 08:57:42 AM »
We used to gun hills on a skateboard and carry a thin piece of plywood (maybe 3' x 4' ) for an air brake. We drilled holes and looped rope through it.
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

SUPeter

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2019, 11:13:19 AM »
Now if only I had enough wind.  tried it in 12 knots, not quite enough.  Approx. 3.5 sq meters.

SUPeter

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2019, 11:15:41 AM »
Another pic

toejammer2

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2019, 02:53:14 PM »
Congrats!
Looks fantastic. Keep us updated!
Cheers

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2019, 05:45:38 PM »
Nice job. I keep looking at my kites and my sewing machine. But I got a 4M today so it's off to the races.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal