Author Topic: M15 & the Easter Bumps - First downwind of the season  (Read 9332 times)

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: M15 & the Easter Bumps - First downwind of the season
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2019, 07:03:36 AM »
Was this your design? Very curious about how the thin rails worked, say in comparison to the polka dot F16 that was on that trip with the traditional SIC thick rails. I would think that the thin rails would be much less stable, but much easier to surf. I am unclear about what the effect would be on speed and glides. Anxious to hear about any comparisons.

Yes and many of the design choices I made align with Area 10's comments. A lot of it is dictated by conditions the board is intended for.
The F16 in question is the hollow V3. If I remember correctly, you have the V2?

I took a different approach with this board to try and mitigate some of the shortcomings A10 described. Even-though the board is only 15'
It has more waterline than the F16 due to much relaxed rocker. 2.6" Tail and 8" nose.

As for bottom I went with what I believe to be simple and fast - Flat through most of the shape with a very rounded V towards the tail.
Very predictable and smooth handling. Also moved the wide point of the board a lot forward to shift more volume and surface area
near the entry rocker which I believe promotes early planing and stability.

The result is a very surfy ride, board maneuvers on a thought, you can carve it easily and never have to worry about rudder drag or malfunction.
15' means better fit into shorter period bumps, I don't remember going on the fin even once during the ride and my fin is 2 fit from the tail.
Glide seems to carry well so I didn't have to work hard for connections.

So in comparison to F16, it feels less draggy on flat much more nimble and maneuverable anywhere you stand, surfs better and just as stable.
You have to move on it more but you don't have to move much to trim well. It's going to be much better ride if the wind has a lot of side in it.

It is still too early to give a good review as I need many more runs in the various conditions we get here, but I'm stoked.
in progress...

yugi

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2019, 01:13:54 PM »
Nice skirt dOOd!

Looks like a fun board too by the way.

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2019, 04:36:01 PM »
Nice skirt dOOd!

Looks like a fun board too by the way.

I forgot the cape at home that day :D It sure is a carver, just how you like them.
in progress...

Luc Benac

• Teahupoo Status
  • Super Natural British Columbia
    • View Profile
    • When not paddling...
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2019, 05:46:56 PM »
Fin? Could not recognise the fin on the last frames. Looks longer than a GTS.
Sunova Allwater 14'x25.5" 303L Viento 520
Sunova Torpedo 14'x27" 286L Salish 500
Naish Nalu 11'4" x 30" 180L Andaman 520
Sunova Steeze 10' x 31" 150L
Blackfish Paddles

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2019, 05:53:32 AM »
Fin? Could not recognise the fin on the last frames. Looks longer than a GTS.

You're right. That's a new template. 8.5" long, 7.5" base. Not sure these are final. No name yet.
in progress...

* Recent Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal