Author Topic: Downwind Foiling Pop Up Tips  (Read 1415 times)

J.Riggs

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Downwind Foiling Pop Up Tips
« on: May 01, 2019, 12:35:02 PM »
Learning to pop up on the foil is the hardest thing I've had to learn in the world of downwind paddling. I've been at it for a little over a year now and I'm starting to find some techniques that help to get lifted. Hope this video helps anyone that wants to foil downwind.

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
Re: Downwind Foiling Pop Up Tips
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2019, 01:07:59 PM »
Thanks. Good stuff

burchas

• Mill Rock
  • Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2019, 01:08:04 PM »
Awesome breakdown Jeremy! Does any of it applies if I want to practice lift in dead flat water?
Bunch of sh*t that doesn't mean much to most

JEG

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2019, 04:20:51 PM »
thanks J.Riggs  8)

J.Riggs

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2019, 12:10:55 PM »
Awesome breakdown Jeremy! Does any of it applies if I want to practice lift in dead flat water?

I've only popped up on flat water twice and I used the same technique. It took about 20 sprint strokes to pop up and it was hard on my shoulders so I stopped trying. I recommend a good shoulder warm up routine before attempting to pop up in flat water. There are a few kids that are able to do it with less strokes. I'll try to get video of them next time I see them practicing.

burchas

• Mill Rock
  • Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2019, 01:11:53 PM »
That would be awesome!
Do you think a different wing setup would be better for flat water popup than the usual one you're using for surf or downwind?
If yes, which setup works better? Thx
Bunch of sh*t that doesn't mean much to most

supfoo

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2019, 02:08:13 PM »
My biggest issue with popping up in flat water is paddle speed. I dont know how Ill ever do it as fast as they do. Is paddle speed something you worked on or were you fast to begin with?

JEG

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2019, 02:41:17 PM »
this will be fun to try and practice the flat paddle take off, not  ;D

peterp

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2019, 10:43:19 PM »
My biggest issue with popping up in flat water is paddle speed. I dont know how Ill ever do it as fast as they do. Is paddle speed something you worked on or were you fast to begin with?

Uhhmmm - dat Mr. Riggs is/was always fast.....

SanoSlatchSup

• Peahi Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2019, 07:43:22 PM »
Don't know why I didn't see this vid until last night, but so glad I did!! Had real meager conditions today (knee to thigh high at best) perfect to practice this with...and holy cow...IT WORKS INCREDIBLY!! Was able to get into just about anything I turned for, and it got to the point that I was turning for just about anything just to see how small I could go, and 90%+ success on many I would have never been able to pump into yesterday (Iwa w/Maliko stab)...and then when the "wave" died out into nothing...this front leg/foot push w/accompanying paddle kept me flying on literally the littlest of bump that was barely even visible. Thank you, thank you, thank you Jeremy. 

EDIT: Didn't try pumping back out w/it yet, and while I'm not sure I'd have the old man stamina to actually pull it off...I now have a renewed desire to at least give it another try once again. But think I'll let the flat water starts to the youngsters far more paddle talented than I.  :o :D
« Last Edit: May 10, 2019, 07:47:40 PM by SanoSlatchSup »
Me: 6'1"/185...6'0" Kings Foil Board...6'0" Chelu Foil Board...9'6" Bob Pearson "Laird Noserider"...9'6" Costa Azul Wide Body...14' Lahui Kai "Manta"...8'0" WaveStorm for when proning urges still hit, and 7'3" Chuck Glynn foil board backup.

frenchfoiler

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2019, 09:12:47 PM »
Front foot strap helps a lot too. Light board is also a key factor.

For flat water, I think the big wings such as the GF Maliko280 or Axis1020 are the best way to learn.

SanoSlatchSup

• Peahi Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2019, 10:12:30 PM »
Front foot strap helps a lot too. Light board is also a key factor.
Good point...I have both.
Me: 6'1"/185...6'0" Kings Foil Board...6'0" Chelu Foil Board...9'6" Bob Pearson "Laird Noserider"...9'6" Costa Azul Wide Body...14' Lahui Kai "Manta"...8'0" WaveStorm for when proning urges still hit, and 7'3" Chuck Glynn foil board backup.