Author Topic: Foil Strife (for lack of an alternative word)  (Read 3578 times)

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Foil Strife (for lack of an alternative word)
« on: April 14, 2019, 09:17:02 AM »
Lookout!

From STAB Magazine:

"Their presence introduced a set of variables for which I was totally unprepared. . . . .
And I know we shouldn't hate. It's an ugly emotion, one that takes rather than give. It drags down the spirit and will turn a sunny sky to thundering rain. . . .
Surfers, as a rule, myself included, are insular, judgmental, dicks. It's a flaw in the culture that drags us all down. A personality trait we'd do well to change  --> But not this time. Not right now.  F--K foils."

https://stabmag.com/style/the-foil-scourge-is-here/?fbclid=IwAR1nPBepaPFs_0SS8IoROhGabcLErAvVyfwCSBte3VoBI8PuIbAdf_KGDRY
« Last Edit: April 14, 2019, 09:19:38 AM by Beasho »

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Foil Strife (for lack of an alternative word)
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2019, 09:18:59 AM »
Dark clouds on the horizon.  Starting to smell like a political horse race.  Time will tell. 

exiled

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2019, 10:29:13 AM »
His feelings on foil surfing map almost perfectly onto Richard Spencer's feelings about brown people, justifications and all.

JEG

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2019, 01:42:19 PM »
He just realized what it feels like on the other side of the coin  ;D

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2019, 06:52:30 PM »
Put hard rubber leading edge on the mast. Foamy Foils.
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

jondrums

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2019, 08:50:55 PM »
I honestly have felt only very little of this in reality.  When I first got good enough at SUP surfing to wander into the lineup years ago, I got so much hate almost every single time I went out.  I got in the habit of paddling out just before first light so I could get 15-20 minutes of riding in before too many other folks got out there and started complaining to me.  There are still a handful of breaks where I like to surf that people have unofficially decided no standup boards allowed.  I surf there anyway (safely), and boy do they get upset.  After all these years the SUP hate continues and as far as I can tell hasn't slackened. 

On the contrary, as soon as I started foiling I got tons of people who want to chat about it.  On most sessions somebody talks about how cool they think it is.  I have well over a hundred sessions on the foil and I can only think of TWO times that I got hate in the lineup.  Both of those times multiple other people paddled over afterwards and told me that they didn't feel the same way and that they wanted me to know I was welcome. 

I'm sure some of this is because it is only very very rarely that any other foilers are around.  But I know that mostly this is because I have extremely strict rules for myself: I don't take off on a wave unless I have a 45-60 deg wide 100yd long "runway" completely clear in front of me.  I've spun out the back of so many waves because I wasn't completely sure it was clear enough.  I line up with everyone else, I just don't take off unless there is absolutely nobody down-wave. 

I have been pleasantly surprised for sure.  Let's hope this continues.

surfinJ

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2019, 12:13:56 AM »
As exiled says this is just more from the good old bias/fear closet.

Jondrums has it figured out. Like he states the sup fear is still present but by not giving even the slightest ammunition, the haters look a bit stupid.
  “Yea beat you...... because.. because...just get out of here.”

With a sup in order to surf certain breaks we cannot stand up for our equal rights.
We have to be on extreme perfect behavior.  It’s not fair but it’s how it is.
If we give’em nothing they can use against us, they will still grumble, but we don’t have to yield.

surfinJ

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2019, 12:31:36 AM »
I am heading out the door now for such a session. I will ignore any vibes that are not welcoming and be hyper vigilant to give no reasons to hate.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2019, 01:59:40 AM »
Interesting article, and I understand his point. There is just no question these things are hazardous in many ways. Hell, I've injured myself just getting into and out of the water. But frankly I doubt this will really become a huge issue. I can't see foiling exploding like rollerblading. It's expensive, it's hard to learn, and you can/will get hurt doing it. The greatest concentration I've seen is Maui, and it seems to be a pretty stable number. About half of the newbies I've seen start foiling never show up again after the first few sessions. A lot of good surfers I know have made very limited progress so far despite working on it for months or even years. I go every chance I get, which is a lot since I'm willing to go out in very marginal junk. I've been at it for the last two years while we've been in Maui with limited effort while I'm in Oregon--about one year total time. I still suck. I might ALWAYS suck, though I seem to be inching forward. I'm just starting to get long rides and turn reliably in both directions, but really, that's not much progress.

I can't see Joe average shelling out three grand and then having the persistence necessary to do the sport. I'm not saying that to discourage people from taking it up, I'm simply saying it's doesn't seem likely to be a scourge.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

JEG

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2019, 01:52:52 PM »
Good feedback on your foiling experience PonoBill.

container

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2019, 12:22:03 PM »
To be fair i agree with stabs opinion. Way too many kooks are dropping a few g on a new set up then getting out there in the line up (small and mushy at my local perfect for learning to foil but always crowded) with absolutely no idea how to control them. Ive nearly been hit while in the water and i most certainly let the guy know about it.

I started making foils back when kai was downwinding on a 12ft board with a blurred out foil, i spent about 1.5- 2 years riding only behind boats while i refined my designs and learnt how to control it. Eventually i made a sup and got out in the breakers for some shred, recently coming 4th place in NZs innaugural foil surfing champs against a bunch of pro and semi pro surfers... only to be told by some fuckwit whos found himself a bargain of a board online that i cant be out there because he doesnt like the craft im on?
Mate i build my foils fairly strong, i will run right through your production shitbox if you wanna play those games. If you aint makin it, you fakin it. Spend your money on a violin instead of a board

mrbig

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2019, 01:03:23 PM »
Am I the only one who had never heard of Sad Magazine!
Let it come to you..
SMIK 9'2" Hipster Mini Mal
SMIK 8'8" Short Mac Freo Rainbow Bridge
SMIK 8'4" Hipster Twin
King's 8'2" Accelerator SharkBoy

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2019, 01:56:41 PM »
ive only seen two guys on foils when i was surfing--one was beasho by the mist last summer, and there's a local at my local who's been pronefoiling a bit

in both cases surfers seemed more curious than threatened--but both beaso and my local friend were obvi in control and attentive

with sup surfing, i think they see a board that will have advantage over them in the lineup--they dont like that
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2019, 07:04:25 PM »
The bottom line for most real surfers is that foils don't compete with them for waves. We go out in shit, take off way out of the pocket, and disappear before they finish their bottom turn. Some of the serious talent mix it up in the lineup. but they're super in control and don't represent the kind of hazard that makes me think I should have flashing lights on my head. But even I'm only a hazard when someone assumes I'm competent and drops in on me. Then we're both in trouble.

Big--it's Stab, and don't bother. It's mostly for the kind of "athlete" that sits in a basement room at his Mom's house and types dickhead comments about stuff he'll never do.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

mrbig

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2019, 07:09:27 PM »
Pono, a feeble attempt at humor. I looked at it and it seemed Sad!
Let it come to you..
SMIK 9'2" Hipster Mini Mal
SMIK 8'8" Short Mac Freo Rainbow Bridge
SMIK 8'4" Hipster Twin
King's 8'2" Accelerator SharkBoy

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal