Author Topic: Hanalei, Kauai report  (Read 3827 times)

Tyler M

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Hanalei, Kauai report
« on: May 01, 2019, 12:41:16 PM »
I just returned from a 9 day vacation in Hanalei for my kids’ spring break.
We have vacationed here about a half dozen times in the last decade.
It’s a family favorite for its winning combo of surf accessibility for all ability levels, fishing, food, beauty, and laid back vibe. The weather in the spring is always a mixed bag but we were lucky this trip with little rain.

Throughout the week the surf was 2-7 feet. On average most sessions were waist high waves with set waves having faces up to about 8 feet.
Winds were light during mornings and evenings and blowing up to 15 mph during the days.
I preferred the 6:30-9:00 am time slots on the reef breaks; cooler, less people, calm winds.

The SUP scene seems fairly healthy with 2-10 local folks out with me each day. Lots of long board sups.

The SUP & prone foil community was really intriguing. They were everywhere and dropping into steep waves that I would never have expected. I overheard a few conversations exploring how most SUP surfers had or were in transition to riding foils. Lots of Terry Chung boards and Gofoils.

The locals were very friendly and welcoming to me. I’m at the ability level where I stick most of my drops into my chosen waves successfully, and I can quickly get out of the way if I fall. A few buddies of mine who are on the beginner side of the spectrum received a few stern looks and words when they got in the way of others. But tolerance of the locals was impressive overall and I even saw some of them make friendly suggestions or offer advice to the less skilled.

In conclusion, this place still remains one of my favorites for quality of waves, ease of access, friendliness, and long wave length.

At 195 lbs. I rode my 8’8 x 30 @ 127 L Popdart all week. I only wish I had a nose rider as well.

One of my favorite parts of the surfing in Hanalei is simply watching all the expert foilers and prone long boarders. Lots of rippers on this island.

Thanks to the locals for sharing such a beautiful spot.

L41 or Infinity boards around 100 liters

Dusk Patrol

• Teahupoo Status
  • PNW
    • View Profile
Re: Hanalei, Kauai report
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2019, 02:07:51 PM »
Thanks for the cool report.  There is also a guy who rents quality boards and paddles from the porch of the Quiksilver store as you enter town. I think it's Kauai Surfboard Rentals. There are others, but he had a nice lightweight paddle, so good on him.     
RS 14x26; JL Destroyers 9'8 & 8'10; BluePlanet 9'4; JL Super Frank 8'6

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2019, 03:36:14 PM »
thx for the report--seems the local situation isnt as bad as ive read over the years---i have proner friends who are excellent surfers, and never have problems, who said they had some trouble at hanalei bay--but that was 10 years ago--if there are bunches of sups and foils in the water, apparently time have changed for the better.
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

Tom

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2019, 03:55:16 PM »
I've been SUPing Hanalei for the last 10 years and there are only two breaks that I'll surf. Not to say that you're not welcome other spots, but it seems like only well known regulars surf other breaks.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal