Author Topic: 2019 SIC Catalog  (Read 33305 times)

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: 2019 SIC Catalog
« Reply #60 on: January 04, 2019, 11:43:20 AM »
I did have on a helmet and knee pads. But I am not sure that going into the water would have been the best choice unless I were able to do the proper fall the guy I was with was trying to teach me

What was he trying to teach that you didn't feel like following his instruction? Landing on your board is NOT a good idea.
Landing flat on the water away from your board is the standard procedure.
in progress...

RideTheGlide

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #61 on: January 04, 2019, 12:21:06 PM »
I did have on a helmet and knee pads. But I am not sure that going into the water would have been the best choice unless I were able to do the proper fall the guy I was with was trying to teach me

What was he trying to teach that you didn't feel like following his instruction? Landing on your board is NOT a good idea.
Yes, that was the lesson with the addition that when possible the best orientation to land in whitewater is on your backside with feet downstream. I did do that some of the time but in other cases I tried to recover for too long and lost my feet as well as the ability to control where I landed.

With whitewater one of my biggest problems was experience. I was a professional raft guide out west in the 80s and kayaked the Grand Canyon. I started the day convinced that little class I/II rapids would be no big deal.

When I fell in the surf I was swept off and had time to gather enough wits to go under and come up after the wave had passed.
2017 GoPlus 9'9"
2018 Hydro-Force fastblast 12'6"
2019 BKC 12'

robon

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 05, 2019, 10:08:41 AM »

Yes, that was the lesson with the addition that when possible the best orientation to land in whitewater is on your backside with feet downstream. I did do that some of the time but in other cases I tried to recover for too long and lost my feet as well as the ability to control where I landed.

With whitewater one of my biggest problems was experience. I was a professional raft guide out west in the 80s and kayaked the Grand Canyon. I started the day convinced that little class I/II rapids would be no big deal.

When I fell in the surf I was swept off and had time to gather enough wits to go under and come up after the wave had passed.

Whitewater is tricky for sure. The Slocan river out here has a fun section that is class III during the  run off season and following rain events. During peak flows it certainly looks more dangerous, and arguably is. You have a bit more time to make quick decisions when it's running lower, but those shallow water injuries become more likely. Catch 22 scenario, but I prefer when the water is running a bit higher.

easy

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #63 on: February 27, 2019, 05:48:11 PM »

Finally got some pictures of my 16 x 24 RS's and they look great.  Unfortunately I'm in the southern Bahamas till  May or June so they're going to sit in crates in Maui till I get back to Florida.  I guess I'll just have to make do with my 14 x 24.5 RS or one of the 14 X 24.5 Allstars.  I can also jump on one of the Bullets if it gets windy.
   If I can get some one to help me figure out how to post pictures I'll post some pictures.

Luc Benac

• Teahupoo Status
  • Super Natural British Columbia
    • View Profile
    • When not paddling...
    • Email
« Reply #64 on: February 27, 2019, 05:59:30 PM »

Finally got some pictures of my 16 x 24 RS's and they look great.  Unfortunately I'm in the southern Bahamas till  May or June so they're going to sit in crates in Maui till I get back to Florida.  I guess I'll just have to make do with my 14 x 24.5 RS or one of the 14 X 24.5 Allstars.  I can also jump on one of the Bullets if it gets windy.
   If I can get some one to help me figure out how to post pictures I'll post some pictures.

We cannot help you make us suffer..... :-) Thou shalt not covet.....
Sunova Allwater 14'x25.5" 303L Viento 520
Sunova Torpedo 14'x27" 286L Salish 500
Naish Nalu 11'4" x 30" 180L Andaman 520
Sunova Steeze 10' x 31" 150L
Blackfish Paddles

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal