Author Topic: "Wingsurfer" for Foil/SUP  (Read 41547 times)

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
Re: "Wingsurfer" for Foil/SUP
« Reply #120 on: May 15, 2019, 09:44:52 AM »
I can't quite see it in the video but at :06 it looks like they have added some structure or material above the strut that is holding the foil shape near the leading edge.

I think you’re seeing, what Naish calls a luff strut. It’s used in their foiling kite, the Boxer. The Boxer is a fantastic foiling kite. We own the 5, 6, 7, 8, 9m Boxers. Jacky and I share those foiling.

That's cool.  Is the material between the round strut and the canopy firm of just fabric?
« Last Edit: May 15, 2019, 11:39:47 AM by Admin »

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #121 on: May 15, 2019, 12:27:14 PM »
I can't quite see it in the video but at :06 it looks like they have added some structure or material above the strut that is holding the foil shape near the leading edge.

I think you’re seeing, what Naish calls a luff strut. It’s used in their foiling kite, the Boxer. The Boxer is a fantastic foiling kite. We own the 5, 6, 7, 8, 9m Boxers. Jacky and I share those foiling.

That's cool.  Is the material between the round strut and the canopy firm of just fabric?

Just fabric. It locks in the profile, while allowing the wing to depower better by luffing.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: May 15, 2019, 04:43:22 PM »
We ended up ordering a set of the SPG wings.  They look really nicely done.  Ivan and Nathan are genuinely stoked on this and are a pleasure to deal with.  I am sure we will get to swap gear this summer with some of the other new stuff coming out.  This is the loft that is producing the SPG wings:

What did they tell you for delivery? Duotone is saying June, but I'm impatient, and they won't say June what???
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #123 on: May 15, 2019, 05:30:34 PM »
Ivan said they are at about two weeks out with current orders (I took that to mean that they are building to order).  I am going to have them DHL'ed so that should be quick. 

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #124 on: May 16, 2019, 04:35:44 AM »

It looks like it is working well.  I liked that they were ready to go but more importantly they really look to be holding shape.  That sold me.  He mentions trailing edge flex battens in the video which I had not noticed before. 

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: May 16, 2019, 08:02:52 AM »
Yes, I'm back in HR, no, I haven't talked to Dan yet, I haven't seen him around town. I've bugged everyone else though.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

alap

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: May 28, 2019, 11:12:27 AM »
what about the following scenario, that nobody talks about.

No foiling whatsoever. Regular SUP. More specifically I have an ULI inflatable 9'3" prob 32" wide, volume who knows, I am guessing 180 l
Served me very well for last 8 years travelling to various places.
Nothing dramatic, just classical SUP surfing. Chest high, head high, knee high.

Here is the Scenario, and its common. Cross wind, strong enough to make SUP miserable.
Looks like I can take this thing, and I can go upwind. Nothing dramatic upwind, no planing, may be even shlogging, still probably faster than with a paddle,
go out cross the surf spot that will not be crowded, make U-turn, catch the wave, depower this thing, come in, repeat.

Sorta like they were doing (or rather advertising doing this) on SUP with windsurfing sail, only instead of sail, this thingy.
Plus everything still fits in a hockey bag.

If I hear that this is doable in practice (not in theory) I probably push a buy button.
what do you think guys?

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: May 28, 2019, 12:42:13 PM »
One (big) reason why this works well for foiling is the relatively light load on your arms due to the low drag of the foil.  Translate that to an ULI, and you had better have the arms of a silverback gorilla. ;D

river

• Peahi Status
  • @danyak101
    • View Profile
    • Wing Foil and SUP Instruction
    • Email
« Reply #128 on: May 28, 2019, 03:34:02 PM »
Here is a little video we did at BW's the other day.  A few good tight shots of the Duotone wing so you guys can see it.  One thing you're gonna like better in the Duotone Foilwing is that you can ride One-Handed with a boom. I don't think you can do that with floppy handles:)  ;D 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=2&v=FYxx2wehI0E
Wing, Foil & SUP Instruction,Aerial Cinema.
#dreamitsupit rider looking for the magic carpet feeling...

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: May 29, 2019, 07:28:46 PM »
River, not to start anything or be rude but the Naish Instagram videos a few pages back show the guy one handing a Naish.

Also, he’s on a longboard and isn’t getting much arm pull. I think this and an ULI would be a fun rig for when the wind sucks.

I might try this before learning to foil as I’d love something to do when it’s windy and can’t fathom figuring out a kite or windsurfer. Keep this in the car and if you get to the beach late just pull this out and go. At my weight I’ll bet I could make a 9’0 regular longboard work with a knee start and popup.

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #130 on: May 30, 2019, 03:25:31 AM »
I think the videos are getting better as the riders get more time in these. Why do these embed sometimes, but not all the time? Admin...
https://www.instagram.com/tv/ByEBuFYHATd/?igshid=1wujn6y69tnkx

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #131 on: May 30, 2019, 04:00:13 AM »
My instructions:

Copy the Instagram title.  Go to YouTube and paste it into the search field.  :).  I will look into improving our site recognition of all Instagram URL's.  But, sheesh, look at the YouTube quality difference.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=67JgSz1bIk0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ItYsnHMByyQ
« Last Edit: May 30, 2019, 04:13:44 AM by Admin »

river

• Peahi Status
  • @danyak101
    • View Profile
    • Wing Foil and SUP Instruction
    • Email
« Reply #132 on: May 30, 2019, 10:14:11 AM »
@surfcowboy
I was only referring to riding one-handed while foilboarding.  I see in the video he is indeed riding one-handed around at 5 mph, which is one thing but I just don't believe you will have the control to ride with confidence with one hand using a handle style/center strut style wing.  Time will tell and I would put $$$ on the fact that the boom system will outperform all other inflatable center strut ddesigns.  They will either copy or innovate which is cool.  I believe Ken WInner has prototyped more wings over the last several years than all other mfg's combined.  It's a wide open field right now so lets see what happens.  Pretty cool how far SUP has come in the last 10 yrs.  I am just stoked to see and experience the evolution ;D

Wing, Foil & SUP Instruction,Aerial Cinema.
#dreamitsupit rider looking for the magic carpet feeling...

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #133 on: May 30, 2019, 01:24:50 PM »

JEG

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #134 on: May 30, 2019, 02:43:52 PM »
a lot of nice wings out though I'm gonna wait and see but I'm keen to get this new buzz.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal