Author Topic: "Wingsurfer" for Foil/SUP  (Read 41730 times)

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: "Wingsurfer" for Foil/SUP
« Reply #105 on: May 04, 2019, 07:51:06 PM »
That's my plan too.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #106 on: May 06, 2019, 04:45:16 AM »
Here are a couple of vids on non-foiling boards in very light wind.  Interesting because the (very light) wings are supporting themselves in really light winds.  The guy with the attached paddle is heading upwind with ease.  I imagine the same is possible on a small SUP foilboard due to the huge underwater mast (Edit: I added some vids of the same guy headed upwind on a 6 foot board with no foil).  If you have any kind of channel, you are out!  Could you get that foiling on waves?  I bet you can with the additional wind that usually attaches to a wave face.  I imagine we will see some good video of that soon.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bw9924VnQXY/?utm_source=ig_web_button_share_sheet

https://www.instagram.com/p/BxE1X6enncS/?utm_source=ig_web_button_share_sheet

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bw4F9-on-AP/?utm_source=ig_web_button_share_sheet

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bw4GCCKHn3s/?utm_source=ig_web_button_share_sheet

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bw4GEB7Hlpo/?utm_source=ig_web_button_share_sheet
« Last Edit: May 06, 2019, 04:57:24 AM by Admin »

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #107 on: May 06, 2019, 08:49:47 AM »

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #108 on: May 06, 2019, 09:49:47 AM »
Cool.  Watching that it seems like in windy conditions you could just waterstart.  I imagine that will happen shortly.

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #109 on: May 06, 2019, 12:29:21 PM »
Wow, props to the prone guy getting for all the pieces working together as well as he did...that was probably a lot harder than he made it look.
Me: 6'1"/185...(2) 5'1" Kings Foil/Wing Boards...7'10 Kings DW Board...9'6" Bob Pearson "Laird Noserider"...14' Lahui Kai "Manta"...8'0" WaveStorm if/when the proning urges still hit.

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: May 06, 2019, 01:16:00 PM »
You all think you would ding your board starting like that with the hard mast of the Duotone wing?

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #111 on: May 06, 2019, 06:12:56 PM »
You all think you would ding your board starting like that with the hard mast of the Duotone wing?

No more so than the hundreds of times we hit our boards with paddles.

I never truly thought I beat my board until I started using a Black Project paddle with red painted handle. I have so many red streaks on my foil SUP it’s hilarious

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: May 06, 2019, 06:35:55 PM »
Thanks DW.  I am so excited for this thing. I have visions of my self zig zagging from Turtle bay to Haliewa chasing bumps. From what I gather I can put  the wing in neutral and just ride swell!  If not will be fun just to blast around behind behind my house. Either way it is another way to get me excited about getting in the water.

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #113 on: May 10, 2019, 03:34:35 PM »
You can order these NOW with 2 week delivery. Who’s going to bite? I am tempted. The stuff I’m hearing from the US brands is pissing me off. Long wait lists and no guarantees you will get one.

https://www.instagram.com/signaturefoils/p/BxSnIsLncsd/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=137c13h21n6i

Fishman

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #114 on: May 12, 2019, 05:47:56 AM »
That Signature air wing looks nice.  Looks like the duel struts could be a benefit.

My question about these air-wings, is a clear viewing window important or not?
I have zero experience with wind sports but I've seen wind surfers with windows in their sails. The only brand I've seen so far with a viewing window is Duotone.
SupSurfMachine 9'9" longboard
SupSurfMachine  8'2" funboard

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: May 12, 2019, 07:46:37 AM »
Given the general position of the wing, I doubt a window is necessary, but it might be handy sometimes. I've seen some surprising angles that the wings get put into that I didn't contemplate. For example, some of the people going downwind have the wing reversed ahead of them. It makes sense to have the wind coming over the leading edge, but I didn't think of that.

I like the looks of the Signature wing, if I can't get some definitive information about Duotone delivery in the next few days I might cancel my order for one of the two wings I'm waiting for and order a Signature. We haven't been getting enough wind in Hood River for a good downwinder, but there's enough for kiting and windsurfing. I'm going a little stir crazy cleaning up my shop and getting my many projects rolling again, so I might have to go windsurfing or foilsurfing if the wings don't show up soon.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #116 on: May 13, 2019, 03:39:05 AM »
I like the look of those a lot.   It looks to be very stable under load.  I can't quite see it in the video but at :06 it looks like they have added some structure or material above the strut that is holding the foil shape near the leading edge.  Ivan mentioned a harness attachment in the vid.  I am unsure how that works.  Great to have clear video to look at! 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pUJrd36rNwo
« Last Edit: May 13, 2019, 03:46:05 AM by Admin »

supunk

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #117 on: May 13, 2019, 05:06:11 AM »
Anyone out there using one of the hard framed, original kitewings? Have just picked one up cheap off ebay to try until I can get my hands on an inflatable one.

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #118 on: May 15, 2019, 03:58:37 AM »
We ended up ordering a set of the SPG wings.  They look really nicely done.  Ivan and Nathan are genuinely stoked on this and are a pleasure to deal with.  I am sure we will get to swap gear this summer with some of the other new stuff coming out.  This is the loft that is producing the SPG wings:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QnxrwzPThSY

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #119 on: May 15, 2019, 09:39:45 AM »
I can't quite see it in the video but at :06 it looks like they have added some structure or material above the strut that is holding the foil shape near the leading edge.

I think you’re seeing, what Naish calls a luff strut. It’s used in their foiling kite, the Boxer. The Boxer is a fantastic foiling kite. We own the 5, 6, 7, 8, 9m Boxers. Jacky and I share those foiling.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal