Author Topic: "Wingsurfer" for Foil/SUP  (Read 41563 times)

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: "Wingsurfer" for Foil/SUP
« Reply #90 on: April 30, 2019, 12:45:19 PM »
The duotone kits have a little added complexity--an adjustable boom to tension the center strut and battens to shape the wing and minimize the taco effect.  The boom connects to the leading edge with a plate. the prototype wings I used had no particular reinforcement for the plate to wing tube area, which is how I knew that the wing in DW's video above is a production wing--the reinforcement is obvious in some of the shots.

I talked to the Maui shop for Duotones yesterday--they tell me they won't be getting their wings until June and dealers who DO get them early aren't supposed to sell them until the release date. Hopefully most will ignore that.

I do expect some SUP folks will get them just to play with on their boards. It's simpler to set up than a windsurf rig, and you get to play when the lineup gets blown out. It's pretty easy to go upwind if you use the wing properly--as a wing. It generates more lift than a typical sailing rig would create in the hands of a newb. The first day of lessons we were practicing using the wing on a big windsurfing board with a daggerboard. In the course of staggering around I accidentally raised the daggerboard for a number of passes in and out, and didn't notice the difference. If I kept the wing high and pointed so it was generating lift as well as thrust then going upwind was easy. As soon as I let the wingtip drop some into more of a sail position it was harder to go upwind and I had to stand hard on the rail to make any headway. Trimming the wing more for lift actually made the board tack if I stayed in that position.

It reminded me of my old wind weapon sails, which were a handful until you figured out how to trim them, but once you trimmed them right, sheeting them was a two-finger operation and they flew upwind with minimal rail pressure. They dragged me upwind. If they hadn't stalled so easily while riders were forty feet in the air, dropping like a stone with a hankie tied to it, we'd probably all be using them now. I went straight through my Lanny Schuler custom board in one of those falls. I don't think we'll be seeing any of that with the Wingfoils. Minimal potential for significant air time with no mast attachment.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email

flkiter

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #92 on: May 02, 2019, 10:26:51 PM »
I think after a few months a bunch will be available second hand. Plus being that I see people on Instagram making these out of old kites, soon enough we'll all be able to get our hands on them. Looks like something that would be easy to copy and not need the strength and testing it takes to make a kite.

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #93 on: May 03, 2019, 03:44:47 AM »
Here is that Duck Jibe style jibe on port.  That looks nice and less drifty especially for lighter wind.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BwW7EWpljRI/?utm_source=ig_web_button_share_sheet

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: May 03, 2019, 08:26:54 AM »
It's impressive how polished wingsurfing has become in such a short period.  Makes me wonder what's left to significantly improve in this niche.

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #95 on: May 03, 2019, 09:19:31 AM »
It's impressive how polished wingsurfing has become in such a short period.  Makes me wonder what's left to significantly improve in this niche.

I think that the guys who are coming from a kite foiling background have all of these skills already.  I do think riders will find new stuff that works uniquely well with this new combination of gear.  That always seems to happen.  I will happy if I can participate at a basic level.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: May 03, 2019, 12:58:24 PM »
I guess you could call that a duck jibe, though it's pretty much the only kind of jibe available with a wing. The only way to get it to be neutral is to stick it over your head.

Hey, wait, never mind. I'm already duck jibing. Took me a couple of years to get there windsurfing.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #97 on: May 03, 2019, 04:36:55 PM »
In this one I am seeing him dropping the leading edge towards the water.  Kind of like diving a kite or dropping the mast in windsurfing by grabbing the clew.  In most of the kite wing jibes i am seeing the leading edge is getting raised into neutral, gliding through the turn and continuing over to the new tack.  This is a cool option.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: May 03, 2019, 07:35:39 PM »
Actually, it's not ideal. If you get the leading edge low it drops one wing tip low and to the front--automatically and hard to stop. Getting the wing tip low is a problem. In this case it just banged the board, but if it touches the water it's likely to grab and flip the kite over. You generally want to angle the wing center upwards, which keeps the tips up. You'll be experiencing this first hand soon enough. In the Kai Lenny video (other thread: https://www.standupzone.com/forum/index.php/topic,34706.0.html) you can see the effect at about 0:59. He catches the tip and the kite starts to flip. They cutaway before it went over completely, but I recognize the symptom and experienced the result a bunch of times. I called Big Winds today and got on their waiting list. Ten folks in front of me. I want two, perhaps all three, a 3.4 and 5m.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2019, 07:44:09 PM by PonoBill »

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #99 on: May 04, 2019, 02:14:18 AM »
I called Big Winds today and got on their waiting list. Ten folks in front of me. I want two, perhaps all three, a 3.4 and 5m.

We are somewhere in that Ten :).  I said we would be happy with whichever showed up first.  They were thinking Naish or Doutone first and there are things I like about both.  When are you back?

outcast

• Peahi Status
  • Ambassador for Nihilistic Surf
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: May 04, 2019, 06:22:35 AM »
Ok

Three things i haven't seen in any vids....2 of three would make me pull the trigger

1.  Pumpability They all seem pretty baggy
2.  Light wind ...4.0s + 5.0's but only seen so far in wind that you could use otherwise....I wanna see 10 - 15 mph or less
3.  Someone luffing overhead on a macker swell...I am quite sure that this will happen soon...but that's what i wanna see...everything else is just another thing for the shed
Too many for the rack
Some in the shack
Some under decks
Some have straps

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: May 04, 2019, 07:13:05 AM »
Ok

Three things i haven't seen in any vids....2 of three would make me pull the trigger

1.  Pumpability They all seem pretty baggy
2.  Light wind ...4.0s + 5.0's but only seen so far in wind that you could use otherwise....I wanna see 10 - 15 mph or less
3.  Someone luffing overhead on a macker swell...I am quite sure that this will happen soon...but that's what i wanna see...everything else is just another thing for the shed

I agree with the Outcast!

Most of the videos are windsurfable.  The whole idea is to take advantage of the

1) Available and ready foil board

2) The low drag, and low speed potential of surf foils and

3) Light air

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #102 on: May 04, 2019, 08:17:09 AM »
I like the sound of that as well.  This video shows a lot of promise.  Wavesailing I would be knee deep limping out on a 5.0 in this condition.  I love that condition.  Usually empty waves.  This woman is planing out.  That looks killer.  I imagine that you could point really well with that huge mast underneath even if you weren't on the foil.  That would mean easy outs in super light wind (5 MPH?).  Could you get it foiling with some wave assist?  I have to believe that you could juice it that much. 

https://youtu.be/2dNWsSeKA-g

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: May 04, 2019, 09:31:34 AM »
Back on May sixth--flying monday. I've seen the Cabrinha, Naish and Duotone in person and used the duotone. That's the one I want. The others are a bit too floppy.

Outcast--yeah, the ones without booms and battens look too floppy to me, especially with heavier guys. The Duotone I used is pumpable, though my pumping looked like I was doing the macarena. Alan pumps onto the foil with two or three quick flicks.

Most of the people I've seen doing it, and all of my experience is in light wind. About 15 with gusts. I was using a 4M wing and I got up pretty easily once I stopped flopping around. I'm 235, creaky and clumsy. The 3M would take more wind, I'm thinking a 5M will probably be plenty in super light wind.

In a Macker swell I won't be hauling a wing around. Most foiling is in waist high or less stuff or in larger unbroken waves. When the wings get into the hands of guys like Dave and Junya you might see bigger waves being chased, but when I mentioned it to Junya he said "I've had one of these in my hands since I was three (holding up his paddle), I'm not a sailor." So maybe not him.

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: May 04, 2019, 06:13:26 PM »
Thanks PonoBill. I am on the list for a 4m Duotone. I am on the North Shore of Oahu and am hoping this might be the answer for fun downwind bump chasing.  Kind of zig zag down the coast surfing bumps.  Not to mention the side offshore surf foiling fun that clearly has lots of potential from watching those videos. 
« Last Edit: May 04, 2019, 06:54:44 PM by 808 »

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal