Author Topic: "Wingsurfer" for Foil/SUP  (Read 41549 times)

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: "Wingsurfer" for Foil/SUP
« Reply #60 on: April 24, 2019, 09:18:43 PM »
Only 2 foils!  :D :D

Well, Go Foil had this nice little two pack wing offer so we went with 2 each.  4 wings and 3 wing sizes.    That and the two boards should get us started :).

We are ready to flop around.

Did you get 280's in the pack? You'll want at least one even though you're both skinny. I takes a little fiddling to make the wings interchangeable between masts. 29" masts I hope. Get dragged behind a ski or boat to start.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #61 on: April 25, 2019, 05:04:39 AM »
Only 2 foils!  :D :D

Well, Go Foil had this nice little two pack wing offer so we went with 2 each.  4 wings and 3 wing sizes.    That and the two boards should get us started :).

We are ready to flop around.

Did you get 280's in the pack? You'll want at least one even though you're both skinny. I takes a little fiddling to make the wings interchangeable between masts. 29" masts I hope. Get dragged behind a ski or boat to start.

We didn't do the 280's but we can always add those if needed.  200 will have to lift me to begin with (when I get to the wanting lift stage).  I am 165 right now and Chan is really tiny so hopefully all of that will work.  We went with 28.5 masts.  I didn't want to mess with Tuttle adapter plates so we just grabbed the plate versions.  It made sense to me to try to keep the whole kit compact and light so we aimed for that.

My total foiling experience so far is 20 minutes on a friend's windsurfer.  I considered checking that out but long term I didn't think the stoke would be there and Chan wasn't that gripped by the look of it.  We have been watching this one come along and it looks just goofy enough for us.  I like it that there is not a lot of coordinated bouncing after the get up and it looks like the footwork is pretty minimal.  It looks like a lot of guys are staying switch footed on one tack.  I am pretty comfortable with that from sailing.  That should work for me.  My mind says yes (we will see what the body says).  It will be great to mess around with for sure.

« Last Edit: April 25, 2019, 05:15:58 AM by Admin »

ukgm

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #62 on: April 25, 2019, 05:43:32 AM »
Anyone who does wind sports is familiar with the Walk Of Shame. It's inevitable at first. A foil craft should be able to go upwind better than most. Part of the equation is sail design, but the lift/drag ratio of whatever is opposing sideways force is a bigger deal. The rail of a windsurfer is off the charts in the bad direction, a foil is equally in the weeds in the good direction. I think the photo of Robbie wingfoiling with a beach umbrella is a pretty fair illustration.

Admin--no doubt people will built performance versions of a wingfoil, even though the likely market is a tiny handful of nuts like me. I think the Slingshot version that Ken and Rod were testing last summer in the Gorge is a precursor of that. I think the Naish version is in the inflatable SUP realm of performance. My ideal wing would pack down to a convenient backpack smaller than a kite, and have a keel bar that converts to a paddle for those unfortunate moments when everything dies off Wells Island. I don't want to swim this shit to The Hook.

Hell, I've done the walk of shame with every sport I've ever tried ! Normally when I progress from the bascis and then use equipment way beyond my skillset.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 25, 2019, 12:15:58 PM »

We didn't do the 280's but we can always add those if needed.  200 will have to lift me to begin with (when I get to the wanting lift stage).  I am 165 right now and Chan is really tiny so hopefully all of that will work.  We went with 28.5 masts.  I didn't want to mess with Tuttle adapter plates so we just grabbed the plate versions.  It made sense to me to try to keep the whole kit compact and light so we aimed for that.

My total foiling experience so far is 20 minutes on a friend's windsurfer.  I considered checking that out but long term I didn't think the stoke would be there and Chan wasn't that gripped by the look of it.  We have been watching this one come along and it looks just goofy enough for us.  I like it that there is not a lot of coordinated bouncing after the get up and it looks like the footwork is pretty minimal.  It looks like a lot of guys are staying switch footed on one tack.  I am pretty comfortable with that from sailing.  That should work for me.  My mind says yes (we will see what the body says).  It will be great to mess around with for sure.

Yeah, you'll probably want one though I did manage to get up on a 200 at Swell City for one glorious moment (then right back down again, just standing there, exhausted). Switchfoot is pretty necessary. With my zillion years of windsurfing I was kind of surprised to find I have no remaining muscle memory for which foot goes where and who gets tied up, but other than that it was fairly easy to sail in and out. The challenge is getting all the bits working together.

The getting up part with the wing is not like foil surfing, where you pop the foil wing into a steep climb to get up. Instead it's more like driving slowly off the surface, though some folks pump the wing and board to get up. I tried that and it didn't help me--too uncoordinated--just getting the speed and push up to the right level was all I needed to come up smoothly, like an overloaded airplane, which is probably less of a metaphor than I'd like. I also used the wing to help me get up--my knee is at the end of the six month cycle, needs another shot of goop and cortisone, so the assistance was appreciated.

I don't know where I got the idea that Ken Winner was doing Slingshot--he designed the Duotone (nee' North) wing, which is the one I want. I'll probably get a four and a five as soon as possible.

It's plenty goofy, right up Chan's and your alley.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #64 on: April 25, 2019, 02:12:19 PM »
Bill, have you tried your 200 with the wind-wing yet?   I wonder how that is. 

Can you get a little support from the wind-wing when its neutral overhead (transitions) by sheeting in a little?  I am hoping so.  That would be pretty nice.  :)

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #65 on: April 25, 2019, 02:32:13 PM »
Admin,

I’m not sure you’ll even need the 200. My Neil Pryde foil (IWA like) will glide in nothing. The issue with this sport is simply getting airborne to break the friction. Then I need near nothing to keep going. Going bigger once airborne is actually bad because you loose glide and momentum.

You actually fly through jibes easier, and stay airborne easier, and coast farther without power when you’re not oversized wing wise.

Hold tight where you’re at. No 280. You’ll see what I’m talking about when you add a little wind power to a foil.

I biggest issue will be getting the wingsurfer. I can’t understand why they sold out so fast. There are so few SUP foilers. Who is buying them? Are Proner mistakenly thinking they can use one? ‘Unless you SUP foil, I think you’re not going to enjoy a wingsurfer for long.

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #66 on: April 25, 2019, 04:34:54 PM »
I didn't think the wingsurfers were out yet.  Am I wrong about that?  Naish was saying a few in May more in June.  Good info on the foil sizes.  I went with the 200 and the Iwa.  We doubled up n the Iwa and Chan got the next smaller one as well.  Just guessing at this point. 

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #67 on: April 25, 2019, 05:07:17 PM »
I think windsurfers are out. Their wings lift at higher speeds. The boards are not designed to allow pumping. When you put a GoFoil (or similar) in a windsurfer, it doesn’t work right. What’s the point if you have a real windsurf foil board. No way you’d choose the wing-surfer. It makes no practical sense.

But yeah, anything works. I’m talking about working right, versus working shitty. Shitty won’t sell wing-surfers long term.

This really is a SUP foil tool. My guess is all the other ways it could be used won’t last long term.

You’re right about them not being out yet, but I know the early shipments are getting sold out before they arrive. Kite shops claiming them that probably don’t even sell SUP foil boards or SUP foil themselves.  >:(

« Last Edit: April 25, 2019, 05:18:37 PM by Dwight (DW) »

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #68 on: April 25, 2019, 05:32:19 PM »
Here is a much higher quality version of that Kai Lenny video.  Looking fun.  Ozone Wing?  Looks pretty good.

https://youtu.be/GJUlf0588Xk
« Last Edit: April 25, 2019, 05:36:25 PM by Admin »

Rider

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 25, 2019, 06:01:12 PM »
Have you’all thought about flying lessons? Not a whole lot more than boards and foils. Of course the plane costs a bit. When I fly, I go a bit higher than three feet.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: April 25, 2019, 06:18:40 PM »
Bill, have you tried your 200 with the wind-wing yet?   I wonder how that is. 

Can you get a little support from the wind-wing when its neutral overhead (transitions) by sheeting in a little?  I am hoping so.  That would be pretty nice.  :)

I wanted to, but Alan convinced me to use the 280, which looks like I have a Cessna strapped under my board. I used it once in the surf and paddled all the way in from the Ka'a reef to get rid of it. Reminded me of the way Blue Herons glide--so slow they look like they're going to fall out of the sky. But it was fine with the wing.

Yeah, you can get a lot of support from the wing. My shoulders don't like me holding anything overhead for longer than 10 seconds. I could hold the wing above me as long as I like. Just angle it a little and it weighs about negative 40 pounds. That's why I'm thinking it will be fun for Viento runs. If I had to hold it up it would be a disaster. I'm counting on it holding ME up.

No surprise that Kai can rock the thing. Sky Lickle was up and flying in about ten seconds after a few minutes of trying the wing on the beach. If you're that good, you're that good.

It might sound strange, but the wing was kind of fun just sailing out and back on a huge windsurfer. Reminded me af thirty years ago when I was trying to kill myself with Wind Weapons. I've never fallen so far in all the dipshit stuff I've done since. I got so high one time that the mighty Columbia was a ribbon under me. Fortunately I didn't stall and fall like I was holding a hankie that time or I would have been flat and wide.

I doubt serious altitude is in the mix, but one thing I missed after all my wind weapons turned to shreds of dacron was full power jibing in less space than it takes to tack. Alan does that on a foil. zip, flip, and he doesn't even switch feet.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2019, 06:33:24 PM by PonoBill »

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #71 on: April 25, 2019, 06:29:30 PM »
Have you’all thought about flying lessons? Not a whole lot more than boards and foils. Of course the plane costs a bit. When I fly, I go a bit higher than three feet.

I flew hang gliders for years. I prefer crashing in water.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: April 25, 2019, 06:34:18 PM »
Don't be encouraging Rider, it's like laughing when a little kid farts in class.

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #73 on: April 26, 2019, 04:19:40 AM »

You are probably looking at 3-4 grand all in.  That should cover you for Downwind SUP, Windfoiling and maybe surf.  That is pretty reasonable when you consider similar sports.  You don't need a car rack, not much storage space, no country club dues, no lift tickets, no boat, no tank to fill.  I have wasted plenty of money over the years but somehow I never feel like money spent on sports stuff is wasted (even for the sports that don't stick).  They all deliver some silly stories...and some will rewrite your life.

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: April 26, 2019, 05:02:00 AM »
agreed---even if discarded, experience with sports gear is entertaining, and generally good for health, and not so expensive in the big picture

and, what's funny, is my gear obsession costs way less than the $$ i spend otherwise being "entertained"---like, eating and drinking unhealthy crap in expensive restaurants--a cost that easily eclipses the money i waste moving gear in and out of my life

and self-propelled watersports are cheap--gear costs, yeah, but engaging the activity is free!

analogous to back-country skiing--gear pricey, activity free--but get anywhere near vail, and get ready to puke more $$ on a couple of days "skiing", than foil gear for the whole family might cost

some day my foil lurking will lead to pricey gear!

Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

* Recent Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal