Author Topic: "Wingsurfer" for Foil/SUP  (Read 41544 times)

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
Re: "Wingsurfer" for Foil/SUP
« Reply #45 on: April 23, 2019, 04:33:09 AM »
I will summarize the videos so far:

1. Wingsurfing is best filmed in blurry sepia.  Yeti/Loch Ness style filming is preferred.
2. If you do use full color to film this sport please reduce the color using a pale filter and apply extra blur.
3. All spoken sentences and action sequences should be partial, preferably coming in mid-sentence and cutting out mid-sequence.
4. The sport has been around since 1932.  I became involved in 1945.
5. It is easy.  (30 years of foiling experience is not required.  World champion history in a related sport is not essential.)
6. One size fits all.  (More sizes will be available as soon as those containers arrive.)
7. Wind range: 4 + on a SUP.  12 - 25 on a foil (slalom, just capping).
8. No waterstarts or sinkers.  (except for kids)
9. It is fun, easy and uses simple gear.  (Large surf foil and Small SUP foilboard suggested)

Fishman

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #46 on: April 23, 2019, 05:26:18 PM »
Admin you nailed it  >:(
I think this video link will be better
https://youtu.be/UBePMBWU018
SupSurfMachine 9'9" longboard
SupSurfMachine  8'2" funboard

Rider

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 23, 2019, 07:19:20 PM »
“If you build it, they will come”.

808sup

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 23, 2019, 08:18:59 PM »

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 23, 2019, 09:56:22 PM »
Started off on Fugly today, after a few back and forth runs and some falling and flopping I finally got the wind trimmed right in the right amount of wind, and I was up--no pumping, nothing dramatic, just powered it off the surface and off we went. As soon as I was rolling I sheeted out a little and the small amount of push was plenty to keep the board up without pumping. I went about fifty yards, got into a lull, sheeted a little get through it and all was fine, but I didn't respond quickly enough to a gust, overfoiled, almost caught it on the forgi9ving nose of Mr. Fugly but I lot my balance and faceplanted. I got up a few more times, but I was kind of sloppy. Learning new stuff is exhausting. Alan called me in to do the walk of shame back to the top, but found a chafed spot on the wing where the boom intersects the bladder tube. It had actually worn through the cloth, so that was the end of the session.

I didn't feel tired, so I grabbed some salad at Whole Foods and headed to the west side to foil surf. Surf Lies said there would be some waist to chest sets, and there was. I paddled out and immediately realized that my legs were toast. I was wobbling all over the place. I got one nice ride and a few crap ones where I was all over the place, and decided to bail before I did damage.

My other option would have been doing a downwinder--either a Maliko with a friend from Hood River or a southside run with Bill Boyum. I'm glad I didn't do either. I would have been lying down on the board hoping it would take me to shore.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2019, 09:58:42 PM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

808sup

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 23, 2019, 11:21:45 PM »
Quote from: PonoBill link=topic=34671.msg397662#msg397662 date=1556081782 I would have been lying down on the board hoping it would take me to shore.
[/quote
That would’ve been fine on a maliko as you likely would make it to kanaha.
On the south side you would be lucky to make it to  Kahoolawe. If not, it’s a long ride to Tahiti.😉

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #51 on: April 24, 2019, 04:18:56 AM »
Here is Ivan's son Nathan Van Vuuren getting in on the action. 

His tacks are polished already.  https://www.instagram.com/p/BwZuFAUHKqJ/?utm_source=ig_web_button_share_sheet

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 24, 2019, 04:59:09 AM »
no harness=quick exhaustion..........

Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #53 on: April 24, 2019, 08:13:05 AM »
Wow, there sure are a whole lot of videos, of a whole lot of different folks, on a whole lot of different brands....of a product that's not coming out until the "summer of 2019".  >:(
Me: 6'1"/185...(2) 5'1" Kings Foil/Wing Boards...7'10 Kings DW Board...9'6" Bob Pearson "Laird Noserider"...14' Lahui Kai "Manta"...8'0" WaveStorm if/when the proning urges still hit.

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #54 on: April 24, 2019, 10:35:41 AM »
Pulled the trigger on a couple of boards and foils today.  This should be fun.  :)

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #56 on: April 24, 2019, 01:40:19 PM »
Only 2 foils!  :D :D

Well, Go Foil had this nice little two pack wing offer so we went with 2 each.  4 wings and 3 wing sizes.    That and the two boards should get us started :).

We are ready to flop around.

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #57 on: April 24, 2019, 01:53:29 PM »
Wow, there sure are a whole lot of videos, of a whole lot of different folks, on a whole lot of different brands....of a product that's not coming out until the "summer of 2019".  >:(
Probably not for use down here in South OC. One of the reasons I gave up windsurfing is I had to drive 2 hrs to get to any decent wind. Our little blown out capping 12 mph max winds may get you up on a gust, but it won't be sustained. Places that have downwinding like the Gorge (Venturi ) or Maui (Trade Winds) it will work. We get maybe 5 good kiting days a year. With the foil it may work?? :-\

It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #58 on: April 24, 2019, 01:55:53 PM »
That wingsurfer is the first time I see an application that makes me consider a foil.

I'll take one with DW setup :D

Only 2 foils!  :D :D

My van

https://www.instagram.com/p/BwpTpnkHeG0/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=1un8nlo17qogt
in progress...

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 24, 2019, 09:14:30 PM »
Probably not for use down here in South OC. One of the reasons I gave up windsurfing is I had to drive 2 hrs to get to any decent wind. Our little blown out capping 12 mph max winds may get you up on a gust, but it won't be sustained. Places that have downwinding like the Gorge (Venturi ) or Maui (Trade Winds) it will work. We get maybe 5 good kiting days a year. With the foil it may work?? :-\

A gust is what you need, once you get up you don't want much, I was sheeting with my fingertips because I overfoiled if I used my whole hand.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal