Author Topic: "Wingsurfer" for Foil/SUP  (Read 21530 times)

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
Re: "Wingsurfer" for Foil/SUP
« Reply #45 on: April 23, 2019, 04:33:09 AM »
I will summarize the videos so far:

1. Wingsurfing is best filmed in blurry sepia.  Yeti/Loch Ness style filming is preferred.
2. If you do use full color to film this sport please reduce the color using a pale filter and apply extra blur.
3. All spoken sentences and action sequences should be partial, preferably coming in mid-sentence and cutting out mid-sequence.
4. The sport has been around since 1932.  I became involved in 1945.
5. It is easy.  (30 years of foiling experience is not required.  World champion history in a related sport is not essential.)
6. One size fits all.  (More sizes will be available as soon as those containers arrive.)
7. Wind range: 4 + on a SUP.  12 - 25 on a foil (slalom, just capping).
8. No waterstarts or sinkers.  (except for kids)
9. It is fun, easy and uses simple gear.  (Large surf foil and Small SUP foilboard suggested)

Fishman

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #46 on: April 23, 2019, 05:26:18 PM »
Admin you nailed it  >:(
I think this video link will be better
https://youtu.be/UBePMBWU018
SupSurfMachine 9'9" longboard
SupSurfMachine  8'2" funboard

Rider

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 23, 2019, 07:19:20 PM »
“If you build it, they will come”.

808sup

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 23, 2019, 08:18:59 PM »

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 23, 2019, 09:56:22 PM »
Started off on Fugly today, after a few back and forth runs and some falling and flopping I finally got the wind trimmed right in the right amount of wind, and I was up--no pumping, nothing dramatic, just powered it off the surface and off we went. As soon as I was rolling I sheeted out a little and the small amount of push was plenty to keep the board up without pumping. I went about fifty yards, got into a lull, sheeted a little get through it and all was fine, but I didn't respond quickly enough to a gust, overfoiled, almost caught it on the forgi9ving nose of Mr. Fugly but I lot my balance and faceplanted. I got up a few more times, but I was kind of sloppy. Learning new stuff is exhausting. Alan called me in to do the walk of shame back to the top, but found a chafed spot on the wing where the boom intersects the bladder tube. It had actually worn through the cloth, so that was the end of the session.

I didn't feel tired, so I grabbed some salad at Whole Foods and headed to the west side to foil surf. Surf Lies said there would be some waist to chest sets, and there was. I paddled out and immediately realized that my legs were toast. I was wobbling all over the place. I got one nice ride and a few crap ones where I was all over the place, and decided to bail before I did damage.

My other option would have been doing a downwinder--either a Maliko with a friend from Hood River or a southside run with Bill Boyum. I'm glad I didn't do either. I would have been lying down on the board hoping it would take me to shore.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2019, 09:58:42 PM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

808sup

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 23, 2019, 11:21:45 PM »
Quote from: PonoBill link=topic=34671.msg397662#msg397662 date=1556081782 I would have been lying down on the board hoping it would take me to shore.
[/quote
That would’ve been fine on a maliko as you likely would make it to kanaha.
On the south side you would be lucky to make it to  Kahoolawe. If not, it’s a long ride to Tahiti.😉

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #51 on: April 24, 2019, 04:18:56 AM »
Here is Ivan's son Nathan Van Vuuren getting in on the action. 

His tacks are polished already.  https://www.instagram.com/p/BwZuFAUHKqJ/?utm_source=ig_web_button_share_sheet

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 24, 2019, 04:59:09 AM »
no harness=quick exhaustion..........

Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

SanoSlatchSup

• Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 24, 2019, 08:13:05 AM »
Wow, there sure are a whole lot of videos, of a whole lot of different folks, on a whole lot of different brands....of a product that's not coming out until the "summer of 2019".  >:(
Me: 6'1"/185...6'0" Kings Foil Board...6'0" Chelu Foil Board...9'6" Bob Pearson "Laird Noserider"...9'6" Costa Azul Wide Body...14' Lahui Kai "Manta"...8'0" WaveStorm for when proning urges still hit, and 7'3" Chuck Glynn foil board backup.

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #54 on: April 24, 2019, 10:35:41 AM »
Pulled the trigger on a couple of boards and foils today.  This should be fun.  :)

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #56 on: April 24, 2019, 01:40:19 PM »
Only 2 foils!  :D :D

Well, Go Foil had this nice little two pack wing offer so we went with 2 each.  4 wings and 3 wing sizes.    That and the two boards should get us started :).

We are ready to flop around.

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #57 on: April 24, 2019, 01:53:29 PM »
Wow, there sure are a whole lot of videos, of a whole lot of different folks, on a whole lot of different brands....of a product that's not coming out until the "summer of 2019".  >:(
Probably not for use down here in South OC. One of the reasons I gave up windsurfing is I had to drive 2 hrs to get to any decent wind. Our little blown out capping 12 mph max winds may get you up on a gust, but it won't be sustained. Places that have downwinding like the Gorge (Venturi ) or Maui (Trade Winds) it will work. We get maybe 5 good kiting days a year. With the foil it may work?? :-\

It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I don't use.

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #58 on: April 24, 2019, 01:55:53 PM »
That wingsurfer is the first time I see an application that makes me consider a foil.

I'll take one with DW setup :D

Only 2 foils!  :D :D

My van

https://www.instagram.com/p/BwpTpnkHeG0/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=1un8nlo17qogt
in progress...

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 24, 2019, 09:14:30 PM »
Probably not for use down here in South OC. One of the reasons I gave up windsurfing is I had to drive 2 hrs to get to any decent wind. Our little blown out capping 12 mph max winds may get you up on a gust, but it won't be sustained. Places that have downwinding like the Gorge (Venturi ) or Maui (Trade Winds) it will work. We get maybe 5 good kiting days a year. With the foil it may work?? :-\

A gust is what you need, once you get up you don't want much, I was sheeting with my fingertips because I overfoiled if I used my whole hand.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2020, SimplePortal