Author Topic: "Wingsurfer" for Foil/SUP  (Read 41562 times)

WhatsSUP

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Jimmy Lewis B&B Flat nose 10'1"
Sunova Creek 9'4" 
TAVA 11'2"
NSP Element 11'
KeNalu Wiki paddle
Kialoa Insanity paddle
Misc other paddles

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: "Wingsurfer" for Foil/SUP
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2019, 09:09:38 AM »
Just ad difficult to difficult. First you have to become good at foiling, really good at kite foiling, and probably have a background in windsurfing, then you can take a beginning lesson with Robbie himself. I don't see them selling a lot of these. Might be fun to take out with my surf sup on a lake. I know how to windsurf and surf, so I'm half way there ::)
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

WhatsSUP

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2019, 09:25:32 AM »
roger that TD!  I certainly won't be in line for one....I've got all I can handle with regular surf SUP.   I watch the kite surfers on crazy windy days at one of my local spots and they scream on the water....(to me) I can't imagine a quicker way to sever or jack up fingers/arm/leg, etc with those lines!  Scares me just thinking about it and some of the guys go waaaaaaay offshore....what the hell do you do it you get hurt, its crazy windy, victory at sea conditions, and alone.  Frig that!

8) 8)
Jimmy Lewis B&B Flat nose 10'1"
Sunova Creek 9'4" 
TAVA 11'2"
NSP Element 11'
KeNalu Wiki paddle
Kialoa Insanity paddle
Misc other paddles

yugi

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2019, 10:32:23 AM »
Like Robbie says, hand-held wings have been around for decades but the time is right now. Why? Because foil has little resistance. So it probably works pretty well.

Just a simple inflatable one hand holds. The simplicity is intriguing.

Must try.

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2019, 11:06:14 AM »
It's not overhead to me!

yugi

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2019, 12:28:57 PM »
^ Flash Austin

Cool. He's the first [good] guy I saw kiting.

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2019, 12:46:55 PM »
Yah... Just switchfoot on a jibe while flying the foil and holding the wing with no mast!  Easy Peasy ::)
It's not overhead to me!

JEG

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2019, 02:30:08 PM »
I reckon TallDude, two deciplane we have to learn.

outcast

• Peahi Status
  • Ambassador for Nihilistic Surf
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2019, 03:40:48 PM »
Makes total sense...
The whole windfoiling in serious waves is notably absent right now....Casey Hauser pushing it  a little bit

Have watched this genre evolve...
Windfoiling is great, but once on a swell, the rig has to go neutral (is useless)...Pop that thing above your head and luff it

It's just not going to feel rigid...mush baggy vs pumping a nice rigid wing

Please note the wrist leash because it'd blow downwind like a balloon if you loose it in the surf....but it'll sell
Too many for the rack
Some in the shack
Some under decks
Some have straps

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2019, 04:56:12 PM »
Yeehaw that looks fun!! Sign me up!!! Could have probably used it outside of the jumbled up windy mess of surf we were trying to fly on today.  :)

Me: 6'1"/185...(2) 5'1" Kings Foil/Wing Boards...7'10 Kings DW Board...9'6" Bob Pearson "Laird Noserider"...14' Lahui Kai "Manta"...8'0" WaveStorm if/when the proning urges still hit.

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2019, 08:31:10 PM »
Could have probably used it outside of the jumbled up windy mess of surf we were trying to fly on today.  :)
I was there at 7:30 this morning and it was a mess. Peaky bombs outside with a mixed up crumbly mess everywhere else. Only two people out. I saw DD heading out with foil. Yesterday was sooo much fun. Head high glassy with some power. They where just throwing. Had great ride after ride with some steep drops. I didn't even wait around today. It wasn't worth it.
It's not overhead to me!

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2019, 05:40:47 AM »
Really cool.  It looks like Flash has gotten closer on keeping the sail/kite from folding under load.  The earlier guys were doing pretty well also but their sails were folding badly under load.  He has a lattice of what looks to be batten style tubes and two smaller had grip bars.  It looks like he is struggling with that a little (he obviously has amazing skills and is making it look as good as possible).

I would love to see someone try a similar design but sew in a pocket just behind the inflatable leading edge for a thin but robust carbon tube batten.  Along with the inflatable leading edge it would act as a mast.  It would go from wing tip to wing tip and could be two parts joining at a coupler in the center.  a half boom could attach to that same coupler and would also attach to a sewn grommet about 3/4 back towards the trailing edge.  A batten in a sewn pocket would go from that grommet out to the leading edge batten on each side.  It think that would do it.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2019, 05:45:12 AM by Admin »

outcast

• Peahi Status
  • Ambassador for Nihilistic Surf
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2019, 09:23:04 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pDQ-LG6SE2E

Actually looks a little more rigid than i expected

I'm looking for the rig that will be best in 15 mph side on ....still playing with a mast -sail - boom....adding a short grab rope  at the boom for more mobility than a traditional uphaul,  but the wing is promising
Too many for the rack
Some in the shack
Some under decks
Some have straps

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2019, 09:55:56 AM »
I was there at 7:30 this morning and it was a mess. Peaky bombs outside with a mixed up crumbly mess everywhere else. Only two people out. I saw DD heading out with foil. Yesterday was sooo much fun. Head high glassy with some power. They where just throwing. Had great ride after ride with some steep drops. I didn't even wait around today. It wasn't worth it.
Musta just missed ya. Talked w/DD a bit before he had to head back to work. He's always stoked with a great vibe, and he said he "had fun...but it's been better". ;) :D

I too had fun, but yes, "it's been better". Lol. Anyway, with the "wing" I was thinking more like way outside...outside of any of the surf break, and see if a little wind in the "wing", and a little pump of the board would provide enough juice to pop up and keep flying in the pretty decent swell that was out there. Hmmm...

My only concern is that I've not "sail/wind sported" anything, and I have this unsettling picture in my head of me going in at the "OK" sign, and coming out at Trail 6.  :o :-[ :D
« Last Edit: April 13, 2019, 09:57:45 AM by SanoSlatchSup »
Me: 6'1"/185...(2) 5'1" Kings Foil/Wing Boards...7'10 Kings DW Board...9'6" Bob Pearson "Laird Noserider"...14' Lahui Kai "Manta"...8'0" WaveStorm if/when the proning urges still hit.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2019, 11:13:01 AM »
Anyone who does wind sports is familiar with the Walk Of Shame. It's inevitable at first. A foil craft should be able to go upwind better than most. Part of the equation is sail design, but the lift/drag ratio of whatever is opposing sideways force is a bigger deal. The rail of a windsurfer is off the charts in the bad direction, a foil is equally in the weeds in the good direction. I think the photo of Robbie wingfoiling with a beach umbrella is a pretty fair illustration.

Admin--no doubt people will built performance versions of a wingfoil, even though the likely market is a tiny handful of nuts like me. I think the Slingshot version that Ken and Rod were testing last summer in the Gorge is a precursor of that. I think the Naish version is in the inflatable SUP realm of performance. My ideal wing would pack down to a convenient backpack smaller than a kite, and have a keel bar that converts to a paddle for those unfortunate moments when everything dies off Wells Island. I don't want to swim this shit to The Hook.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal