Author Topic: QUESTIONS ABOUT PORTAL PHANTOM  (Read 10066 times)

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: QUESTIONS ABOUT PORTAL PHANTOM
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2019, 05:38:00 PM »
did they install the pad?
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

surfsupla

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2019, 09:06:42 PM »
I installed the pad. As usual whenever i get a new board i have not been able to get out as much as i have liked. Busy work schedule and skating injury. But i have surfed it twice and it is amazing. It flies down the face of the wave. Tracks really straight. Turns amazingly well. Is stable. Looks bitching. And is not that heavy (i opted for the extra glass schedule and carbon wrapped rails). In the two sessions ive had on it ive been really impressed. I took a few late drops the first day i had it out and it just went.

I got the 8’3”x29.5”x4.5” board. I love the stepped rails. The tail and nose are really just perfect. And it has the perfect amount of rocker. This board is an inch narrower than the board im coming off from, and even with the stepped rails it still floats me really well. I have no complaints about it at all  I can turn around and paddle after a wave and it goes over the foam great. I can roam around the break and chase waves down from the outside still. I want to get this board out in bigger and better surf but dont we all. Lol. For reference i am 200lbs and about 5’9”.

Turn around time from erik at portal was great and he was super communicative throughout the process. Ill try to post a more in depth review after i have spent some serious time on it but i am stoked on it!!

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2019, 01:00:45 PM »
you did a nice job---far better than i with my barra---mine looks awful, but works great---and the board is amazing---feels all shortboardy, even on junk waves, and on bigger stuff, if there's a problem, it's not the board--the thing rips

enjoy--looks gorgeous, all of it, incl the shape--i bet it'll own you after a clean head high day................

Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

NorthJerzSurfer

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2019, 05:01:35 PM »
Resureccting here.  SUrfsupla....whats the longterm ride report on the Phantom?

surfsupla

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2019, 05:52:30 PM »
I love it. It is super stable due to the step rails and volume. I literally have not pearled the board yet. And thats not for a lack of trying. Turns great. Is faster than I ever thought it would be. Takes late take offs like a champ. Honestly its my perfect board. Paddles quick and tracks great for its size. It makes me appear to be a much better surfer than I really am. lol. Goes over waves well when paddling out. I can take it and do well into punchy beach break or slow breaking rollers. It certainly does not catch waves like a 10' board, but I was never expecting it to. Honestly its the best board I have ever owned and Im glad I bought it.

I slipped on the rocks a few months back, pinched a nerve in my heel. Went down HARD on the rail of the board. Glass shattered a bit but it was totally water tight. I was scared i was going to have a 10" gash in the board because thats how hard it hit the rocks.

I have been surfing it as a 2+1 with collin side bites and a 6.5" wayne rich center and have had no desire to even touch the fins yet. Been out in about head high waves max on it and knee high slop. The board always does what I ask it to do. Its limits far surpass mine.  :) :) :) :)

surfsupla

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 16, 2019, 05:55:03 PM »
I forgot to mention the board is 8'3"x29.5"x4.5" and is roughly 125L. I was 210 when I got it and am at 200lbs now. Water laps my feet and the board does super well in the chop. PLUS it will do cheater fives ALL DAY LONG on the right wave. Which i love.

Mmac

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: December 17, 2019, 03:29:10 PM »
Is Erik still shaping and offering these?  Looks like he's only into foiling nowadays. 

NorthJerzSurfer

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: December 17, 2019, 04:22:56 PM »
great info surfsup!!!!! I really appreciate it! Thanks for replying!

I also wondered if he is still actively shaping SUPs.   I listen to his podcast and it seems 100% foil now.

the way it performs relative to your eight is great too as I hover from 210 to 220

surfsupla

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 17, 2019, 04:33:54 PM »
Yes he is foil focused but he is still producing the sups for sure. On the west coast they are coming out of earth technologies in san pedro. They do great work as well! If you want a board shoot him a message or give him a call. Hell pick up!

I had it out in 1-2' waves today and had a blast. I may skip the DOH south bay beatings this weekend though. Well see how that one goes. ;-)

Paddle On

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 18, 2019, 09:50:16 AM »
I am 6'1" 215 lb and have 2 mainboards, the B-line, and the Phantom (see dims below). The B-line is super fast, I and my SUS buddy took this head to head switching on the water multiple sessions and it really blows away traditional surf shapes for speed. It stable and tons of glide, can get into small waves and the carbon construction is bombproof. The Phantom surfs amazing top to bottom. Its traditional surf shape and narrower shape allows tight flowy turns. I always grad this board when it steep and waist high and above. My experience is that I can balance on smaller/narrower boards when it is fairly smooth, but on BIG days there is so much water moving it is not a great option for me. I can balance the Phantom in all conditions and catch tons of waves. It took me a few sessions to find the magic spot for my back foot.......
« Last Edit: December 18, 2019, 09:57:13 AM by Paddle On »
Paddle On 6'1", 215lbs - Portal Barra 7.11, Infinity 8.2 RNB, Portal Phantom 8.3, Infinity B-line 8.5, Infinity 10.0 New Deal, Sunova 11.0 Style, Starboard 9.0 Hero, Black Project Surge Paddle

NorthJerzSurfer

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: December 19, 2019, 09:38:09 AM »
Paddle on - Sent you a PM

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal