Author Topic: glue on handle recommendations?  (Read 2719 times)

Board Stiff

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
glue on handle recommendations?
« on: April 06, 2019, 07:50:48 AM »
I'm looking to add some handles to the front of my 14' Bullet V2 so my 3 y.o. daughter has something to hang onto when she rides along with me. Initially I was thinking of just adding a couple of the soft race handles like those that my old SIC X-14 Pro had, but I just noticed the Bullet doesn't have the screw holes for these.

Any recommendations for something I can just glue on, that will hold securely and be comfortable for small hands?

Thanks!

gone_foiling

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: glue on handle recommendations?
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2019, 08:49:45 AM »
I have been using NSI handles as my tail handle on sups in the surf and they get my vote. I have been in some nice wipeouts and none of those came off.
https://www.northshoreinc.com/store/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=251
They get my vote. I am sure there will be others with their suggestions.
Addicted to foiling at the moment.
My shenanigans on insta @gone_foiling

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2019, 09:19:25 AM »
Yup. the NSI loops are bulletproof. You can get them off, but it takes work. Be sure they are where you want them before you put them in place, and if you want to move them, do it in the first hour. After that the adhesive bond more than doubles.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2019, 09:23:30 AM »
I have these on a few of my boards. EZ-SUP handle. You'll want to sand through the paint right where the glue on mounts. And sand the bottom of the glue-on mounts before epoxying them down with 20 min. 2-part. The two-sided tape install is iffy. Might be okay for low stress situations. 

https://www.amazon.com/E-Z-Sup-contoured-Plug-Handle/dp/B008L0AZIS/ref=sr_1_6?keywords=Glue+on+sup+handles&qid=1554567220&s=gateway&sr=8-6-spell

The NSI handles that Gzasinets recommends look heavy-duty. The mounting pads have more surface area and look better built. I may consider using them on my next board.
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

Board Stiff

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2019, 10:51:30 AM »
Thanks for all the quick suggestions! I've used the EZ plugs before and have been pretty happy with them. The NSI loops look even nicer, with less mess and maybe a more natural fit on the contour of the board. I was planning to try those anyway for my deck rigging, and their handle looks like a good option too. A little pricey, though, at $35 for a single handle. I'll have to look for that on sale somewhere.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2019, 06:30:40 PM »
YOu can also get the same adhesive on their cargo loops. Set them up right and they can do double duty as handles by running a loop of line through a piece of tubing.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2019, 02:35:29 AM »
Yeah Luke, the NSI handles are the best. I've been using them for tail handles on all my boards for years. You've seen them.

EZ Plugs suck. The 3M adhesive pads on the NSI handles are far superior. If you shop around, you should be able to find them for under $30.

Pono's idea for using the soft NSI cargo loops seems like a simple solution as well and might cost less. For what you are doing, that might be the way to go. The rope they use for them is indestructible.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2019, 02:44:24 AM by Badger »
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300
Sunova Flow  8'10 X 31"  119L
Me - 6'0" - 165lbs - 66yo

Board Stiff

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2019, 08:50:30 AM »
Yeah Luke, the NSI handles are the best. I've been using them for tail handles on all my boards for years. You've seen them.

EZ Plugs suck. The 3M adhesive pads on the NSI handles are far superior. If you shop around, you should be able to find them for under $30.

Pono's idea for using the soft NSI cargo loops seems like a simple solution as well and might cost less. For what you are doing, that might be the way to go. The rope they use for them is indestructible.

I've never had a problem with EZ Plugs, but the NSI loops with the adhesive pads do look like a lot less fuss, and easier to rig and detach from than the narrow holes on the EZ Plugs. Pono's "poor man's handle" idea may be just what I need, if I can't find a deal on the real handles.

Thanks!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal