Author Topic: Taghum upstream to Nelson Loop.  (Read 6231 times)

robon

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
Taghum upstream to Nelson Loop.
« on: March 27, 2019, 09:36:00 AM »
Not to distract from the NELO thread  ;) but I wanted to share one of the paddle routes from Taghum to Nelson that I do year round. This last trip was a good one because the sun was out and the wind was calm, which makes the upriver portion much easier. I got blown off the water going upriver a few weeks ago when I was further downstream, and had to wait it out. 

This trip is between 18 and 19 kilometres typically, depending on how much meandering I do along the way. I usually start downriver to get the hardest upriver grind done first. Parts of the year this route becomes impassable when the water becomes too shallow, and the eddy lines almost disappear, and it becomes much more challenging at full run off. It's a fun paddle because there is always a challenge present to get past the current, and you have to adjust your trip accordingly by linking eddys and ferrying across the river to get to the slack water to make your way upstream.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2019, 09:45:04 AM by robon »

robon

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
Re: Taghum upstream to Nelson Loop.
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2019, 09:40:42 AM »
A few more. The last pic of Taghum beach is the end of the trip/loop.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2019, 09:51:04 AM by robon »

wilder

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2019, 01:30:26 PM »
Looks absolutely beautiful! I have come to really enjoy paddling up and then down river, its a very satisfying challenge. 

robon

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2019, 05:57:19 PM »
Thanks Wilder. It's a blast navigating this river upstream on a 14 foot board when the river really starts moving at high water, and I agree it's a satisfying challenge for sure. The reward is floating back downstream, and even better when the wind is at your back. Linking the eddys and trying to get to slack water always keeps things interesting even when the current is slower. I almost forgot about the whitewater and river forum on here, and should be posting over there for some of these trips. Cheers.

deepmud

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2019, 09:42:14 PM »
I always love your trips - they are the type of paddling I like to see online and do myself.

robon

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2019, 10:03:43 AM »
Thanks man. I always like looking at River treks and hopefully you can post up some glacier paddling. I have a few down river trips on the radar to do on my inflatable this summer that I haven’t done before.

* Recent Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal