Author Topic: Inexpensive Pocket Cruiser  (Read 2079 times)

Ichabod Spoonbill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • HVH2O
    • Email
Re: Inexpensive Pocket Cruiser
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2019, 04:08:07 PM »
It's funny about toughness. I took my NSP 14 through a creek last week. Lots of trees to dodge and beaver dams to navigate. That guy is pretty tough, but still it got pierced. I don't know if I'm too fussy about my dings, but I'd rather not have to repair too often. I'm going to search around, but I can get one of those Bics new for $350, which is heard to beat.

FRP, when I can afford an inflatable, I will get one!
NSP 14' Race (Ghost)
Pau Hana 11' Big EZ Ricochet (Beluga)
Bic Ace-Tec 9'2"

supsean

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2019, 08:25:01 AM »
I have a 10'6" ace-tec, and it is damn heavy. I can imagine the tough-tec is even heavier.

Yeah, Im prepared for that. This board is going to beaten up, so the weight is kind of secondary. Im also interested in putting a board like this through its paces. I think of it as taking a VW Beetle cross country or something.

On my break, there is a guy that has had his ToughTec for 5 years. He catches almost every wave that comes by him and has a great time. The thing is all dented to hell, but it keeps catching waves.
Fanatic Allwave 8'9"
Sunova Steeze 8'10"
Kenalu Ho'oloa

Ichabod Spoonbill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • HVH2O
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2019, 02:49:29 PM »
I ended up getting an Ace-Tec 9'2". I managed to convince the ol' wifey to go for it, so it's coming next week sometime.

I had rented this model a couple of years ago in Jacksonville and it was fun. I only got a few rides before the rains came. I think the smaller size will be something to work at. I haven't spent much time on small boards, so this will be a good progression. I'll post some real pics when it arrives.
NSP 14' Race (Ghost)
Bic Ace-Tec 9'2"

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2019, 05:38:31 PM »
That should be a fun size to work with. A few weeks and you'll have it wired.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

Ichabod Spoonbill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • HVH2O
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2019, 07:12:24 PM »
Thanks Stoney. Hopefully I'll be able to take it to the waves at some point! Even if I don't, it'll be small enough to challenge me.
NSP 14' Race (Ghost)
Bic Ace-Tec 9'2"

Dusk Patrol

• Peahi Status
  • PNW
    • View Profile
    • Email
Bullet V2; RS 14x26; New Deal 9'6; BluePlanet 9'4

Ichabod Spoonbill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • HVH2O
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2019, 04:56:39 AM »
That is a good review. Thanks Dusk. BTW, what does it mean to "judder"? I haven't heard that term.
NSP 14' Race (Ghost)
Bic Ace-Tec 9'2"

Dusk Patrol

• Peahi Status
  • PNW
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: April 27, 2019, 05:53:06 PM »
I assume it means to shudder or vibrate. I had a 99 JL Maestra that kind of vibrated sometimes.

supnsurf

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2019, 06:36:45 AM »
Looks fun !
Rawson 8'8" Impala

L41 8'8"

Ichabod Spoonbill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • HVH2O
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: May 02, 2019, 05:34:39 PM »
The guy arrived the other day. Weather and obligations have kept me from riding it, but soon!
NSP 14' Race (Ghost)
Bic Ace-Tec 9'2"

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach native
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: May 02, 2019, 06:39:40 PM »
Cancel everything.... Must surf...

Ichabod Spoonbill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • HVH2O
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: May 06, 2019, 06:45:53 PM »
I wasn't able to surf but I took the board out for a 34 mile paddle. I had to get used to the different type of ride. I'm so used to the big boards that have a fore-and-aft stability I was surprised by the nose sinking. I got used to it though, but then I had to get accustomed to the thin rails which really wanted to dig into the water. It was weird to have less primary stability on a board 31.5 inches wide than on my 31 inch board, but I'm guessing this is so you can dig a rail into a wave easily. Once I got used to that, it was a pretty nice ride. I think this will do very nicely as a putter/teaching/vacation board.

If I'm just doing flatwater, I think it could use a bigger fin than the 8" dolphin fin. Nothing too big, but maybe a 910" fin. Of course when I bring this on the waves the 2+1 fins will be pretty sweet!

Back to the size, it feels weird to have a board this small on my car. I can safely say this is the smallest board I've ever owned or paddled for any time. (I did once paddle one of Creek's 9' Sunova's.) I know I will learn a lot from the small size in terms of adjusting my weight. I can already see I need to keep my feet a little further forward to engage the nose. Usually I paddle with my toes in front of the center handle and my heels behind. This board seems to want my heels right at the center. I included pics with my feet in the different positions.
NSP 14' Race (Ghost)
Bic Ace-Tec 9'2"

Dusk Patrol

• Peahi Status
  • PNW
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: May 06, 2019, 08:20:32 PM »
Its a good looking piece of kit... a shiny red sports car... 8)

Ichabod Spoonbill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • HVH2O
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: June 02, 2019, 10:17:35 AM »
So I've paddled the board a half-dozen times on flatwater and finally have it dialed in. I replaced the 8" fin with a 9" fine from my Imagine Surfer and saw a huge difference. I went from 34 strokes on a side to 68. Plus my speed went up. The 8" fin will be great for waves, but I think this new one is the right size. I'll just have to keep both on hand!

Paddle stroke makes a huge difference. That adage about not paddling past your feet is really true here. Anything past my feet turns the board, but a quick, straight drawback does the trick. Combine that with keeping my weight slightly forwards, tilting the board slightly on the paddling side, and the board cruises. The altered stroke is a great ab workout too.

One day I'll actually take this onto the waves. Until then I'm having fun.
NSP 14' Race (Ghost)
Bic Ace-Tec 9'2"