Author Topic: Raceboard Days Are Here  (Read 2020 times)

OkiWild

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Raceboard Days Are Here
« on: April 07, 2019, 05:03:12 AM »
Spring is when we go flat. Between winter storm swell from up north and typhoon swell in the summer/fall. Today was about as small as it gets on the east side (.7meters @ 8 sec.) as the Pacific does it's thing. Far away storms will push it up overhead once in a while, but for the most part...this is spring. So with the wind switching more west, out come the raceboards.

Today was about waist high, with a deep tide, which has the waves rolling across the reef mostly without breaking. Sets up for pretty long silent glides. Couple of other SUP's out, but they were struggling :-) I picked off probably 30 waves on this small peak by myself. Same wave yesterday, but I brought a 10'x28" long board SUP. Not nearly as effortless as a 12'6"x27" displacement race board. 

POV, with some annoying looking left and right... part of the challenge of surfing this stuff is staying in the wave as the peak behind you dies, and it reforms to the right or left.   

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UF3qFMQ0hdQ

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Raceboard Days Are Here
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2019, 07:27:46 AM »
Great vid 8) Love the conditions.

Reminds me a favorite spot with soft breaking reforming rollers.
Nice long rides for my 16 footer.
in progress...

LBsup

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2019, 08:39:40 AM »
Wow, that was cool!  I’m impressed how well you maneuver that 12’6!  Also liked seeing the reef and the far away landscape.
Black Project Texcarbon, 85 blade, 69
8’10 Sunova Ghost, 137L

surfinJ

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2019, 09:38:33 AM »
So nice, the joy of gliding. That about sums up the beauty of sup as you are thoroughly enjoying a wave that is otherwise unsurfable for the typical surf crafts.

Where abouts on the east side is that spot?

gone_foiling

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2019, 10:23:28 AM »
Fun! Also what a beautiful place.
Addicted to foiling at the moment.
My shenanigans on insta @gone_foiling

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2019, 12:53:38 PM »
What a great spot. Perfect day, break all to yourself, long clean rides....... Thanks for sharing.
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

OkiWild

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2019, 04:33:36 PM »
Where abouts on the east side is that spot?

https://goo.gl/maps/BJrAe88iX7C2

Wow, that was cool!  I’m impressed how well you maneuver that 12’6!  Also liked seeing the reef and the far away landscape.

Thanks! This board was my first SUP, and the first SUP I ever stood on...LOL  Bought for down winding (rookie mistake LOL) and exercise, quickly figured out how awesome it was on waves I could never surf. It's what really got me hooked, as there were so many days where I'd go check the surf, and go home because it was too small. This board made surfing possible almost 365 here.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal