Author Topic: The business of Skiing  (Read 6200 times)

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: The business of Skiing
« Reply #30 on: April 29, 2019, 11:45:23 AM »
Cool.
Doesn't look to mushy....hopefully some corn as well. Sunshine if nothing else.
Looks like an old pair of Beta Carves...

If you get a pass to the mountain here this year they are kicking in an IKON base pass as well.
There had always been some sort of collective discounts at other mountains with a pass purchase but this kind of ups it up some.

Snowbasin.....I forgot but then I remembered hearing on the SLC news how they were towing lots of cars early in the year and the parking was stressed out far more than in past years but they didn't mention IKON on the report....
First thing they ask at the foods, ski rentals, retail store, etc.. 'Do you have an ICON pass?' It get's you 10 to 15% off. I'm actually thing about reinstating my PSIA membership, because they get great discounts on skis, lift tickets, lodging, even mountain bikes.

Those skis I'm on are Nordica Vantage95c 186cm that are 2017's I think? They were on lone to me. Freak'n awesome in the slush. Like water skis. Great in the steeps and actually carved nice too. I have a pair of 2017 Blizzard Brahmas 90 under foot. I wasn't as impressed with them in the crud. The tail is really stiff like my K2 race skis. If you don't get on them the tails tend to skid too much. I'm going to be looking for a used pair of those Nordica's. So much fun in all conditions.  That run in the picture is Philippe's.
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: April 29, 2019, 11:52:20 AM »
This happened Sunday when I was skiing Scotty's. I look up and saw someone drop off the little cornice above, make one turn and wipeout. Then started cart wheeling into the mega slide of doom ( been there!). I happen to have my GoPro running. It's purposely low res so I could email it to some people.
https://youtu.be/sqyICXDyu2U
It's not overhead to me!

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: April 29, 2019, 01:14:39 PM »
Dang, that was not a very good looking knee she had going on there. Another good, and biggest reason I don't ski...frozen water hurts, and can do damage when you fall on it.  :'(
Me: 6'1"/185...(2) 5'1" Kings Foil/Wing Boards...7'10 Kings DW Board...9'6" Bob Pearson "Laird Noserider"...14' Lahui Kai "Manta"...8'0" WaveStorm if/when the proning urges still hit.

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: April 29, 2019, 01:42:18 PM »
Cool.
Doesn't look to mushy....hopefully some corn as well. Sunshine if nothing else.
Looks like an old pair of Beta Carves...

If you get a pass to the mountain here this year they are kicking in an IKON base pass as well.
There had always been some sort of collective discounts at other mountains with a pass purchase but this kind of ups it up some.

Snowbasin.....I forgot but then I remembered hearing on the SLC news how they were towing lots of cars early in the year and the parking was stressed out far more than in past years but they didn't mention IKON on the report....

Those skis I'm on are Nordica? Atomic Vantage95c 186cm that are 2017's I think? They were on lone to me. Freak'n awesome in the slush. Like water skis. Great in the steeps and actually carved nice too. I have a pair of 2017 Blizzard Brahmas 90 under foot. I wasn't as impressed with them in the crud. The tail is really stiff like my K2 race skis. If you don't get on them the tails tend to skid too much. I'm going to be looking for a used pair of those Atomic's. So much fun in all conditions.  That run in the picture is Philippe's.
Revised.... I don't now what I was thinking... Atomic's
It's not overhead to me!

lucabrasi

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 29, 2019, 08:54:18 PM »
Those skis I'm on are Nordica Vantage95c 186cm that are 2017's I think? They were on lone to me. Freak'n awesome in the slush. Like water skis. Great in the steeps and actually carved nice too. I have a pair of 2017 Blizzard Brahmas 90 under foot. I wasn't as impressed with them in the crud. The tail is really stiff like my K2 race skis. If you don't get on them the tails tend to skid too much. I'm going to be looking for a used pair of those Nordica's. So much fun in all conditions.  That run in the picture is Philippe's.
I knew what you meant. They do look a bit like some older Beta Carve's I used to have with the color and simple graphic. The whole Vantage line is awesome and they are still turning them out. I got a pair of Alibi's that they morphed into the Vantage's (98 under foot) I ski a lot. Has a little "Vantage series" sticker on them. If I could only have one pair out of all I got I would probably pick that pair. You can't go wrong with what your looking at no matter the year. Fat enough for most days, still way fatter than back in the day, fine on groomers, plenty stable and no chatter, and rocker. My quads love the rocker. I need another pair of skis like I need another board or another fishing pole or golf club...…….I do tho, I want something around 78-82 underfoot for those cold, been weeks since snow days.....custom Hammer......10 wt for Salmon....driver I can really hit or a magic 3 iron....

Another thing I noticed with the IKON this year. Way more boarders, percentage wise. We've always had plenty but it's always been more of a skier mtn overall it has seemed and even more so last 10 years or so. Nothing wrong but it definitely ramped up that way. That scraping sound was way more frequent. I also noticed at Tahoe last year a higher percentage than what I am used to here.
I wonder how many boarders show up at Alta, especially with the IKON now.....to find out..........you ain't riding here.
Hope her knee's ok....probably didn't lower her din when she hit 50.....

Jackson Hole passholder for 21 years.  I hate the Ikon Pass.  Busy every day I skied this year.   Just bought a season pass for next year.   IKON is included,  so maybe use it in VT,  but would rather have JH disassociate from them.JP
me too but.......
We'll have to do some runs next winter......If you been around that long, even part time I am sure we know some of the same people. I'll have to remember to shoot you a message.
Paddle? Golf? I do avoid the park and really town/the valley itself anymore except in the winter to go to the mtn. Fish? I got something that's pretty damn fun off a board...if you like getting into your backing....and maybe even getting towed around.

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 30, 2019, 05:07:32 AM »
love my full tilt first chairs--on my 2016 katana 191's
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 03, 2019, 05:38:14 AM »
big tax flight to wyoming--private jets swarming--it's one of the most favorable tax states in the country
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal