Author Topic: The business of Skiing  (Read 6203 times)

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: The business of Skiing
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2019, 07:18:17 PM »
For the past 10 years we had a cabin in our local mountains near a busy little resort (Big Bear). We had season passes and a season locker. Our Season passes were around $500 ea. As the kids got older and doing other club sports during winter, we just couldn't find the time to go anymore. We sold the cabin a year ago, and let the seasonal locker go (a two year waiting list to get one). It was sad, but now we will just go skiing at randomly different areas. I'm heading to Mammoth at the end of the month for the PSIA convention with a bunch of old instructor friends. We are making it our anual Beer and Advil reunion of sorts. I don't instruct anymore and am not a current PSIA member, but it's a great time to ski with my old friends who are all good skiers. Some who still teach after all these years. Should be some great spring skiing. I'm bringing an extra pair of 'wide under foot' boards. What a game changer in the Sierra Cement. I don't ski enough anymore to buy an Icon Pass. If there is good surf and good snow, I'll surf. That's why I live at the beach.
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2019, 08:00:42 PM »
A 3-day pass is $329 at Mammoth if I buy my pass 7 days in advance. I thought that gets me halfway to an Icon pass, BUT.. we almost always ski on the holidays :-\   $1K. Nope.
It's not overhead to me!

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2019, 01:54:35 PM »
There's a rumble in the mountains...  My friend Dottie sent me this.

"Our local friends at Snowbasin are just as upset about Snowbasin joining EPIC pass.  One printed stickers with big EPIC letters and in fine print underneath it says “Every Prick in Colorado” !  Plastering all over the gondolas...."

Jim
Atlantis Mistress .. Blue Planet MultiTasker ..   Atlantis Venom

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2019, 03:02:47 PM »
This season has been fantastic at Alta snowwise but the Ikon pass has really affected the experience. All the locals are up in arms..... My vacation time will be spent skiing Alta and being with friends and family. Maybe I need an Ikon pass now. Great.
I can't imagine Alta letting those left wing, pot smoking, out of control snowboarders at their area? I mean what's the world coming to? I mean seriously.. get a hockey stop! ;D
It's not overhead to me!

surf4food

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2019, 05:10:52 PM »
Might be time to take up XC skiing and/or fat tire snowbiking.  No lift tix needed.

Rider

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2019, 05:58:21 PM »
I started skiing at Mamouth when the tickets were $6.50.  After a couple years they went to $8.50. We stayed at Tom’s Place for $15.00 per night. Of course that included a huge breakfast and wonderful dinner. Singing by the fireplace and wonderful girls.....

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2019, 08:33:34 AM »
cnski, if you can handle my politics, love to have a chat sometime, maybe after a nice surf sesh in RI--i get up there often, tho tend to surf the western RI spots.

we have certainly skiied many of the same lines many times--after many of the same storms, no less---same interlodges!--alta's a part of my soul, and that of my kids'
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: April 27, 2019, 11:06:43 PM »
Spring skiing at Mammoth Mtn today. Slushy even at the top. Knees at talking to me.....
It's not overhead to me!

lucabrasi

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 28, 2019, 05:52:19 AM »
Cool.
Doesn't look to mushy....hopefully some corn as well. Sunshine if nothing else.
Looks like an old pair of Beta Carves...

If you get a pass to the mountain here this year they are kicking in an IKON base pass as well.
There had always been some sort of collective discounts at other mountains with a pass purchase but this kind of ups it up some.

Snowbasin.....I forgot but then I remembered hearing on the SLC news how they were towing lots of cars early in the year and the parking was stressed out far more than in past years but they didn't mention IKON on the report....

jpeter

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 28, 2019, 05:59:34 PM »
Jackson Hole passholder for 21 years.  I hate the Ikon Pass.  Busy every day I skied this year.   Just bought a season pass for next year.   IKON is included,  so maybe use it in VT,  but would rather have JH disassociate from them.

JP

NorthJerzSurfer

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: April 29, 2019, 06:56:04 AM »
I lived in Park City for several years and still have many friends there.  The horror stories coming out of these passes is amazing.

But- leave your favorite sport up to Wall Street and they will figure out how to make this happen.  The whole collective pass was the brainchild of a non-skiier PE guy who was looking for the next untapped market in skiing.  they found it.

I maintain no season passes now.   I buy day passes at smaller local hills with my kids and take one Heli trip per year.

I realize snowcat / heli is out of many peoples budget.  But if you are a seasoned skiier or snowboarder (I competed in USASA Boardercross for a number of years)  The money is well worth it to stay out of a resort.

Weekend/Holiday skiing is NEVER coming back for me.  just not enjoyable at all or worth any money.  I just bank it all for that one snowcat/heli week.

Tom

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 29, 2019, 08:48:15 AM »
The fact is that it is very hard for a ski resort to make money and they see joining a group. Is one way to stay afloat.

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 29, 2019, 09:00:31 AM »
nojerz, i lived for a year in summit park for a year--across from the jeremy ranch golf course

several years before you, likely
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

NorthJerzSurfer

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: April 29, 2019, 10:13:53 AM »
Small world Eastie.  I was there in 07-09 waiting out the recession by splitboarding and generally loafing .....

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: April 29, 2019, 11:28:33 AM »
My buddy I was just skiing with this weekend in Mammoth lives in Park City. He and his two son's teach at Deer Valley. They live on the hill above Bill White Farms.
It's not overhead to me!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal