Author Topic: Very bad economic indicator today  (Read 4734 times)

RideTheGlide

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Very bad economic indicator today
« on: April 01, 2019, 05:38:18 PM »
I was let go at my job. The client reduced what they were willing to pay my employer for ongoing support and as the most senior and highest paid team member, my head went on the block. I have never been unemployed in my 39 year career until now. Now I am looking for work at 60. We will ride through it okay and I will find something, but it sucks. That was a good job. Over 24 years with steady increases for most of it; I was making substantially more than my position normally pays. They did give me some severance and I am helping with the transition; burning bridges don't provide much light. I was hoping to hang on to this job for 4 or 5 years and then retire. I hope I am as good at interviews as I used to be.
2017 GoPlus 9'9"
2018 Hydro-Force fastblast 12'6"
2019 BKC 12'

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Very bad economic indicator today
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2019, 05:50:35 PM »
sorry this has happened to you--good luck--hope you stumble into something better than ever--stay on the boulevard--you never know what might come along
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

Dusk Patrol

• Teahupoo Status
  • PNW
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2019, 05:53:43 PM »
That is a speed bump no one needs. Sorry to hear. Your experience will resonate with someone.
RS 14x26; JL Destroyers 9'8 & 8'10; BluePlanet 9'4; JL Super Frank 8'6

Quickbeam

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2019, 06:28:06 PM »
Hey RideTheGlide. Really, really sorry to hear this. I know first hand just how traumatic job loss can be as both my wife and I experienced it. I’ve also seen many others go through it. If it’s any consolation to you, in our case, both my wife and I ended up better off and with better jobs than we previously had. And we also managed to keep our retirement plans exactly as we had envisioned before we lost our jobs.

Your new job is now finding a new job. I know how trite that sounds, but it's true. Very best of luck to you.
Infinity Blackfish 12’ 6” x 23”
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 24”
Infinity Whiplash 12' 6" x 24 1/2"
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 26”
Bark Competitor 12’ 6” x 29”
Red Paddle Explorer (Inflatable) 13' 2" x 30
Starboard Airline (Inflatable) 12’ 6” x 27

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2019, 07:27:15 PM »
Oh I am sorry - that’s a tough situation to be dropped into, especially so far into a successful career. I hope you find something soon. With your superb powers of expression, and thoughtful and reasoned manner, you surely must be in great shape for any interview.

spirit4earth

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2019, 08:00:00 PM »
Bad news, indeed.  Any possibility of early retirement?

noworrieshawaii

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2019, 08:03:20 PM »
Been there.. 15 years with an amazing company but had a feeling that things were heading towards an end. I was fairly highly paid after years of increases and my field "graphics" was being outsourced. Thankful for a decent severance and awesome retirement plan... 8 years and I've been going it on my own to fairly decent success... So thankful for socking it away and a decent real estate holdings. But it is a little scary.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2019, 01:26:53 AM »
Well that sucks.

The key to a good interview is preparation, and that means more prep than most people would actually expect. You should go in knowing more about the company and the people likely to interview you than most people already working in the company know. Of course you don't want to show off that you've done your homework, just use the research to inform your responses. It's not difficult to do that anymore. Your potential employers will likely browse your social media postings. You can do the same thing to them, and more. At the same time you can spice your social media presence up a bit and be very careful what you post.

My experience is not recent, but the attitudes and motivation level of most of the millennials and genX I interviewed made it very easy for older people to shine in an interview. Experience, current knowledge, enthusiasm for the work, and a good work ethic transcends age. What killed most of the older potential hires that I turned down was poor attitude, low motivation, and resentment of their former employers.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

RideTheGlide

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2019, 07:07:34 AM »
They informed the client of how they were addressing the budget cut and the client freaked out. It ended up being the worst April Foll's day joke ever. I have been reinstated this morning.
2017 GoPlus 9'9"
2018 Hydro-Force fastblast 12'6"
2019 BKC 12'

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2019, 07:16:19 AM »
I am truly happy for you RTG, but (very discreetly) talk to an attorney before you sign anything...

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2019, 07:21:46 AM »
client rules--glad youre ok--but seriously consider using this to advantage--if the client said "wait? no RTG? that will be a big problem for our business with you", seems you have a bit of power in this equation--if there's a way to get advantage from this, it's likely now, not in a year.......and you want and deserve to know youll have 5 more, dammit!

being laid off can cause one to question oneself, one's real value-add etc--in case you erred in that regard, clearly you need not do so now!
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2019, 07:22:34 AM »
R-T-G,  I think that a sick joke. But, plan ahead - they thought about it.  That sort of stuff is commonplace these days.  My wife was a surgical RN and the hospital did a 'buyout' of most of the older (highest paid) nurses.  It's as if a 'Private Equity' mentality is sweeping boardrooms across the country. 

I was a supplier to an aircraft manufacturer in Canada since the mid-70's  ..about a decade ago my products were shunted to a prime contractor rather than direct ship. None the less, my invoices were always paid in very short order.  The prime got purchased by a Pvt. Equity company in CA and I had to beg and sweat for my money.  I nearly contact management in Canada to see if they could help.   It's a new time - be careful.

Jim
Atlantis Mistress .. Blue Planet MultiTasker ..   Atlantis Venom

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2019, 07:26:23 AM »
i clipped your middle para, pb--NOT the part about the kids these days! cuz im sending the interview prep advice to my KIDS!
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"

Quickbeam

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2019, 08:16:27 AM »
They informed the client of how they were addressing the budget cut and the client freaked out. It ended up being the worst April Foll's day joke ever. I have been reinstated this morning.

HUGE Congratulations to you RTG. This is very good news indeed.
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 24”
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 26”

Quickbeam

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2019, 08:18:43 AM »
The key to a good interview is preparation, and that means more prep than most people would actually expect. You should go in knowing more about the company and the people likely to interview you than most people already working in the company know. Of course you don't want to show off that you've done your homework, just use the research to inform your responses. It's not difficult to do that anymore. Your potential employers will likely browse your social media postings. You can do the same thing to them, and more. At the same time you can spice your social media presence up a bit and be very careful what you post.

My experience is not recent, but the attitudes and motivation level of most of the millennials and genX I interviewed made it very easy for older people to shine in an interview. Experience, current knowledge, enthusiasm for the work, and a good work ethic transcends age. What killed most of the older potential hires that I turned down was poor attitude, low motivation, and resentment of their former employers.

This is GREAT advice for anyone looking for a job and preparing for job interviews.
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 24”
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 26”

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal