Author Topic: Oversized performance board instead of longboard or allrounder?  (Read 8250 times)

Dusk Patrol

• Teahupoo Status
  • PNW
    • View Profile
Re: Oversized performance board instead of longboard or allrounder?
« Reply #30 on: April 07, 2019, 11:49:38 PM »
Quality at Laird may be a moot point. Haven’t seen any actual product availability from this new distributor. I wonder if they’re having second thoughts about the industry.
RS 14x26; JL Destroyers 9'8 & 8'10; BluePlanet 9'4; JL Super Frank 8'6

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: April 08, 2019, 06:16:45 AM »
Quality at Laird may be a moot point. Haven’t seen any actual product availability from this new distributor. I wonder if they’re having second thoughts about the industry.

I was thinking the same thing. If memory serves they were out of stock a year ago when I last checked.
in progress...

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 08, 2019, 10:36:29 AM »
For just flat out running around on a board instead of standing in one place it's hard to beat a round nose. A pintail or narrow squash added to that form allows the kind of outline that can be steered from a lot of places. including the front and middle. All depends on what you plan to do with the board. I don't like big noses in big waves. Too hard to control and too easy to get blown off the wave. I hate being left behind when I was counting on the wave I chose to get me away from all the big brothers marching behind, and now it's left me standing right where the pounding will be at it's worst.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 08, 2019, 12:27:56 PM »
I think a lot depends on where you surf and the type of conditions. There are times on bigger days when I might want more of a gun outline but that's not very often. The Laird Surfer looks like it could handle a variety of New England conditions pretty well. Sometimes my 8'10 Sunova Flow just doesn't have enough stability or glide and I want a bigger board.

The main thing that sets this board apart from other 10 footers is the relatively low volume and the continuous outline curve. It's also just a nice looking board.

https://lairdstandup.com/products/surfer-1

« Last Edit: April 08, 2019, 01:05:37 PM by Badger »
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300
Sunova Flow  8'10 X 31"  119L
Me - 6'0" - 165lbs - 66yo

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: April 08, 2019, 01:21:11 PM »
I think a lot depends on where you surf and the type of conditions. There are times on bigger days when I might want more of a gun outline but that's not very often. The Laird Surfer looks like it could handle a variety of New England conditions pretty well. Sometimes my 8'10 Sunova Flow just doesn't have enough stability or glide and I want a bigger board.

The main thing that sets this board apart from other 10 footers is the relatively low volume and the continuous outline curve. It's also just a nice looking board.

https://lairdstandup.com/products/surfer-1

If you can find one that is. It's been out of stock for ages. Maybe they paused production until they figured out how to make a symmetrical board? ;D
« Last Edit: April 08, 2019, 01:34:37 PM by burchas »
in progress...

supthecreek

« Reply #35 on: April 08, 2019, 10:29:35 PM »

I’ve been thinking about getting a big board, primarily for relaxed cruising between breaks... but for surf. 

What are peoples’ thoughts about using an oversized performance surf shaped board instead of a longboard or large allrounder shape?

Granted if super-sized, a performance shape wouldn’t reach the performance it was designed for. BUT, if my goals do not include shredding or stylized longboarding, what harm in having decent rails and a shape that can turn?  (…and for the humility record I can’t shred or drop a knee turn.)

So specific example – The ‘appropriate’ Jimmy Lewis World Wide for my 185lb would be the 8’9 (141L).   But there is also a 9’9 x33” (171L).   Would that be a big board that is fun? … or just a big pain in the a** … ?

Hi DP

I like your thinking on this!
It is a direction many people  should have in their quiver, because it simply makes sense.

I immediately thought of two different suggestions for you.....and after reading the replies, I see that both of them have been suggested.

a 9'4 or 9'7 Sunova Creek
They fit the dimensions that you seem drawn to.... and they are VERY easy surfers.
A bigger board does not need to be narrow or low volume... it simply has to be ridden correctly, as shown by that really young kid that was ripping on the 12'6 PSH.....
or when James Casey rode my 9'4 x 32 Creek and absolutely killed it on a board that was massive for his size. (5'7  185 lbs)
He wouldn't give it back to me for 2 days.... then instantly ordered a 7'10
The Creek is an easy paddler and handles any conditions.(click my email link below to buy a Creek)
James on 9'4 Creek Pic #1

Where are you located.... right now I am in Myrtle Beach
I'll be in Wrightsville NC for the ProAM
Then head north to Cape Cod at the end of April
You are welcome to try my 9'4 if any of that works for you.
(Anyone else that wants to demo my Creek or Steeze.... PM me!)

If you expand your considerations to a MUCH easier paddler, to range to distant breaks, then RbGars design is going to be awesome.
12 x 32 Sunova Pointbreak

I took my 14' Search to RI so RbGar could demo at a distant pointbreak.
His custom design was based off the Search, but was altered as a SURF specific board with length and comfort to reach distant breaks.

12 x 32 Sunova Pointbreak is Pic #2
We have 8 Pointbreaks coming to the East Coast on May 2.... one is RbGars and one is mine .... click my email link below to buy a Pointbreak.

Here are 2 vids on my 14' Search, in case you have never seen them.... the 12' Pointbreak will be a major step forward in this category!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPQqHC-m6zw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2RxB8xn3WAE

Dusk Patrol

• Teahupoo Status
  • PNW
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 09, 2019, 10:19:45 AM »

Thanks for the detailed response Rick… and I can watch those freight train Search videos over and over... 

I’m in the PNW, so not along your itinerary . But I will try a Creek at some point. Another I’ve identified in the giant hi-po hybrid category would be a Kazuma Milkman, but I have to wait till I’m good enough that those hyper Mondrian graphics won’t draw unwanted attention of the bad kind : )

But it’s all going to have to wait, because I got distracted by the OPPOSITE of high performance, which popped up as available in my backyard and screamed new toy… and I could not resist – a  JL B&B. So I’ll play with this for a while…. to force me to learn skills I normally wouldn’t.   It’s the 10x31 with concave.  Bought from a cool guy named Jim who I wouldn’t be surprised if a Zoner. Should have asked.   

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 09, 2019, 11:39:43 AM »
Nice board, and a fine noserider. Find a big-ass single fin for it if there isn't one already on it. I thought about getting one of those. Ideal size for mushy PNW five directions including backwash swell.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Dusk Patrol

• Teahupoo Status
  • PNW
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 09, 2019, 03:44:06 PM »
Find a big-ass single fin for it if there isn't one already on it.
It came with a fat 10”pivot fin and a more rakey 11” hybrid.  AND I have a 10” Fatboy “squirreled” away  ::) somewhere. 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal