Author Topic: Oversized performance board instead of longboard or allrounder?  (Read 8247 times)

Dusk Patrol

• Teahupoo Status
  • PNW
    • View Profile

I’ve been thinking about getting a big board, primarily for relaxed cruising between breaks... but for surf. 

What are peoples’ thoughts about using an oversized performance surf shaped board instead of a longboard or large allrounder shape?

Granted if super-sized, a performance shape wouldn’t reach the performance it was designed for. BUT, if my goals do not include shredding or stylized longboarding, what harm in having decent rails and a shape that can turn?  (…and for the humility record I can’t shred or drop a knee turn.)

So specific example – The ‘appropriate’ Jimmy Lewis World Wide for my 185lb would be the 8’9 (141L).   But there is also a 9’9 x33” (171L).   Would that be a big board that is fun? … or just a big pain in the a** … ?
RS 14x26; JL Destroyers 9'8 & 8'10; BluePlanet 9'4; JL Super Frank 8'6

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Oversized performance board instead of longboard or allrounder?
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2019, 12:28:35 PM »
I think it’s a great idea in principle, but no-one to my knowledge makes the right board. Although you could go halfway there with something like the SIC Sabre, maybe.

The problem is that the brands seem obsessed with short, thick, wide boards right now. Or else they are sinkers. Whereas what I would like is a scaled-up version of a performance (prone) surf board that maintains its thinness, and does not get wider than 30” in the middle. Plenty of planing area for ease of paddling and getting into weak waves, but narrow rails and not too much volume to enable carving. And a decent length, not some silly 7ft length that only works properly for three days a year at my crumbly weak home break. 10-6 might be nice, so I can cruise from break to break and really cover some miles.

JEG

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2019, 01:31:13 PM »
having a big board in your quiver is good and fun to have.

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2019, 01:33:58 PM »
It doesn't make any sense to go with a shortboard shape designed for a much heavier rider. It would not surf well and would not paddle well.

The "appropriate" surfing volume for 185 lbs is about 130 liters max. The World Wide 8'5 would be perfect for your weight. It looks like Jimmy doesn't make the smaller lengths anymore.

I'm looking for the same type of board you are and no one makes it. Something between 9'6 and 10'6, not a longboard shape, under 150 liters, designed specifically for surfing but aimed at riders under 200 lbs. A board like this would be very easy to paddle a few miles if you wanted to without losing any surfing performance.

All the bigger boards are designed for riders over 220 pounds which sucks for us.

« Last Edit: April 01, 2019, 02:16:23 PM by Badger »
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300
Sunova Flow  8'10 X 31"  119L
Me - 6'0" - 165lbs - 66yo

Dusk Patrol

• Teahupoo Status
  • PNW
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2019, 04:59:57 PM »
I think it’s a great idea in principle, but no-one to my knowledge makes the right board.

This began when I rented Riviera’s ‘The Boss’ (10' x 31" x 162L, w/ domed deck, thin rails, relatively light) and had a blast, despite the domed deck. It paddled fast, surfed well, and was relatively light weight.  So those have been my target dims.  The Boss is no longer in production, and it still was more of a LB shape than the hybrid shape that I want.   

I’ve looked at most mainline brand’s production boards.  Some candidates turn out to be no longer in production, even though still on mfgr's website (e.g., Kazuma’s carbon Milkman 9’10 x 31 x 160L).

So as you point out, there’s a dearth of choice in this segment, and getting dearthier as SUP production in general cools off.

It doesn't make any sense to go with a shortboard shape designed for a much heavier rider. It would not surf well and would not paddle well.
This gets to the gist of my question.  If you keep the volume down, its not certain it wouldn't surf well.  Granted it would surf differently than it was intended for a weight appropriate rider, but if we compare surfing a 10’6 longboard and a 10’6 performance shape, they would just surf differently from each other. And I’m thinking that a large performance shape could be fun... if the right shape...

« Last Edit: April 01, 2019, 05:10:49 PM by Dusk Patrol »

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2019, 05:18:41 PM »
It would be. So I’m getting a custom made, hopefully. I guess you might be able to persuade the Sunova folk to design one?

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2019, 05:28:27 PM »
My first board was a 10'6 Riviera Original. It surfed pretty good but it had way too much volume.

The 9'6 World Wide is pretty much just a bigger version of the smaller World Wides. I don't think that type of shape would work well, even with less volume. Plus, the rails on the World Wide are too fat IMO.

What I'm talking about is more of a stretched out shortboard. For instance if Sunova made a 10'6 X 29" version of the Flow and made it under 140 liters, something like that might be just what I'm looking for. The rocker might have to be tweaked a bit and the nose and tail tapered, but other than that, I think it might surf and paddle pretty well. I can't afford a custom board right now or I would probably have one made.

« Last Edit: April 01, 2019, 05:33:20 PM by Badger »
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300
Sunova Flow  8'10 X 31"  119L
Me - 6'0" - 165lbs - 66yo

Dusk Patrol

• Teahupoo Status
  • PNW
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2019, 05:42:53 PM »
A10, I've been exploring Infinity making something, with the SIC-like handle they put in their Wide Aquatic.

Badger, thanks for the World Wide specifics. (I recall you had one?) I'll cool my jets on that one.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2019, 05:44:32 PM by Dusk Patrol »

Rider

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2019, 06:04:30 PM »
Hi Dusk.... check out King’s Paddlesports. What you want is the Knight model. Maybe a 9’ 8” at 125 liters. Call Dave and he will talk you through it. The wife and I have a couple that are still going strong at 5 years. You can not drive over these boards like a JL. Treat like a surfboard.....

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2019, 06:12:09 PM »
Devils advocate here  :D

Oversized performance boards are a bit like kissing your sister.

I’d rather surf a longboard or short board SUP. The in between doesn’t do anything well enough.

A longboard can be narrow without loss of stability and be fast as hell. I often steal my wife’s.

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2019, 06:17:23 PM »
I’ve been thinking about getting a big board, primarily for relaxed cruising between breaks... but for surf. 

It sound like the Sunova Creek 9'7" is right around there. From what I've seen you'll be able to throw it around somewhat easily due to its performance tail.

Although I'm with DW on that, probably would go for a New Deal 10'6x29 for what you're describing.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2019, 06:21:55 PM by burchas »
in progress...

OkiWild

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2019, 06:54:47 PM »
Lifetime short boarder and not quite two years on a SUP. I love the larger performance shapes. My days of doing big hacks are done, but I love big, hard carves, and if the board is shaped correctly, it'll go exactly where I want it to. And it still floats you, paddles nice, gets to the outer reefs without drama. I can't find a real down side.   

Just a quick glance shows Blue Planet and Sunova both make boards in the range you're looking at. I'm a big fan of low maintenance, durable boards. Not real concerned about a few pounds. My go-to boards are the BP Ninja Warrior and Pocket Knife @ 8'8" and 8'10" respectively, 29" wide and 116L. I weigh 83kg in the buff. I've ridden the 9'2" x 32" x 140L Sweet Spot, and it's a hammer. I've also ridden the 9'4" x 32" x 148L Sunova Creek, and it's a sweet board. I'm considering adding the 8'10" to my quiver.

Dusk Patrol

• Teahupoo Status
  • PNW
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2019, 07:06:53 PM »
Thanks all. I prob’ shouldn’t be categorizing. There are as many answers as there are board shapes. I confess part of the goal is to add some chill comfort to the equation. Maybe I’ll just harden up instead  ;D

ninja tuna

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2019, 07:44:37 PM »
I have a 12'6 paddle surf hawaii  hull paddler and it is a great board for what you are thinking about.  It is only kinda what you are thinking about being that it is HIGH volume.

I surf it in florida and had it out the other day because conditions absolutely sucked for smaller boards.  the waves were big but super mushy.  A carve-able face here or there but I would have never been in those sections on a lower volume board.  I have this board for cruising on long barely breaking or mushy surf. I have a couple places where I ride it way far out  and cruise.  I can carve it no problem if a face prevents itself. I am not going to rip on this thing and I know that.  I have dropped in on waves slightly overhead without much problem.  The thing is the board gets going so early, I am on waves before they are even steep enough to break.  have been caught up few times when waves jacked suddenly but could control it.  Just have to get back on the tail once on the wave to make it carve-able.

There is another thread about a custom 12 sunova.  That is supposed to be a lower volume compared with the older psh's.  You should research something like that.  Paddle surf hawaii used to make 12' gun that was real popular too.  THere are some videos around too that show how it rides.  just to get an idea.  I know these are probably bigger than what you are thinking, but they are worth a look.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2iRt78cLHc4

also found another thread from a former member who went a similar direction.  I found his thread and will just copy it.

---------------------------

Right now I'm calling it The Missing Link until I can think of a more proper name for it. Coastal Cruiser is already taken but that's really what it is.

This is the board I felt was missing in my quiver. I ordered it because all of my boards are 7'4 and under and strictly used for surfing. I felt that I needed to work on my endurance, enjoy more distance cruising/exploring while surfing on the way. My 14 x 24.75 Fanatic Falcon is an amazing open ocean distance board but kind of a pain in the but to always haul around. Plus, surfing that 14' is not ideal. Getting back out through the surf can be a challenge too.

So, Kirk made me this beauty. I wasn't looking for a race board or downwind board, just something that could cruise okay and surf okay. So the nose is very pulled in, making it easy to bust through the waves getting in and out of the surf, the tail and nose are thinned out so I could actually surf this thing.

Details:

11' 8“ x 27.75” x 4.5 @156L

The stability is very comfortable. Flat deck making it easy to stand long durations and easy to move around . Stepping back on the tail is really nice. Easy to sink the thin tail and whip it around if needed. Glide is okay, nothing fantastic. I kept the volume low so there is still some resistance and it does sit lower in the water but that makes it easier to surf and more stable/less rollie. At first I felt the board paddled a little slow so I hooked up my garmin watch for some testing and turned out the board moves pretty well. I feel that if I was back in my race/training mode, I could maintain 5mph over 4-5 mile stretch. I never did a 100% sprint run but was able to put about 90% sprint into it and got the speed up to 5.6 mph. Easy cruising at 3.8mph, moderate around 4.5, more race mode would be around 5mph. My 14' I could pace myself at 5.7-5.9 mph over 4-5 mile stretch in open ocean, calm conditions. Just to give you reference of speed.

Surfing the waves was a challenge for me at first until I figured out a few things. Need to be facing straight to get into the wave. If the board is sideways a little, the rail tends to catch and over I go. The board is long and I'm still getting used to that. Today I was able to catch waves from the 2-4' range.

The board catches the waves well and as soon as I step back, the board is pretty easy to manage. I'm just running a 9" cheapie dolphin fin for now.

The board does not catch bumps…not enough volume and not enough volume in the tail to push forward. I was not expecting to be able to catch bumps. That's what my 14' is for.

Overall, I love diversity that it brings to the quiver. I really enjoyed paddling and exploring through the kelp beds and seeing fish I've never seen before. I look forward to cruising the coastline to see what cool places I can find. Saw the biggest leopard shark I've seen today. About 20' below me and looked to be 5' long. Usually we see lots of them near the shore line, but this one was far beyond the surf lineup.

surfercook

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Jersey Shore
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2019, 08:27:30 PM »
+1 for Ninja Turtle on the Paddle Surf Hawaii gun. I was raised sup surfin' on the Ripper series from PSH. Best board in 2 to 10 foot surf according to the PSH website back then(2012). True for sure. But a longboard style sup is a great addition in any sup quiver. That 12'6'' Hull paddler ain't no joke! Cool video in that big glassy mush. Dude is seriously handling that huge board.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2019, 08:32:46 PM by surfercook »
One could go into a mall in Kansas and ask a teenager "What is a surfer looking for?, and the answer will always be, "The perfect wave"
9'11" PSH Hull Ripper-145 ltr    
9'3" PSH  Hull Ripper- 130ltr 
8'0" Corevac Assassin -127 ltr   
Paddles- Carbonerro PRO SERIES 85 & Riviera Camo at 70"

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal