Author Topic: Standup to foil board size?  (Read 5421 times)

SUPdad

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Standup to foil board size?
« on: March 31, 2019, 03:34:50 PM »
Is there any sort of rule of thumb for board size when transitioning from standup to foil?  This will be my first time so that just makes it so hard to decide on what to buy when you have no idea where to start.

My current board is a 9’x32” 135l Flight Pandora. It’s super stable (but more board than I need now) and I was seriously going to pick up Jimmy Lewis’ new board...until my wife suddenly decided I was allowed to spend a bunch more and get a foil if I wanted. :o Anyway, I think if I were going to buy a new sup, it would be about 8’ x 30’ and 120l or so, with a widish longboard looking outline. I’m about 185lbs now...and growing everyday!

So, I’m hoping for a little guidance on where to be for length, width, volume for my first board. I don’t mind a little suffering (like going from my 9’ to an 8’) to avoid having or wanting to buy a smaller board soon after.

Thanks!

fatfish

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Standup to foil board size?
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2019, 05:56:25 PM »
SUPdad, where are you located at?  I have a JL you could try out.

SUPdad

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2019, 07:22:23 PM »
Hello,
I’m on Oahu, south shore.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2019, 10:34:51 PM »
Go talk to Robert at Blue Planet. 7' is a pretty big foil board. Mr Fugly is considered huge and it's 7'2 X 33". I weigh 230 and I have crappy geezer balance, a bad knee and creaky hips. I know people your weight who have started with a 6'6" X 29" board and progressed very well.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

JEG

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2019, 01:52:37 PM »
SUPdad, i'm about 180lbs never foil and it would be interested so see on your board selection, good luck.

fatfish

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2019, 09:24:30 AM »
Hey Supdad,

Just my opinion, but dont over think it.  With sup foiling there are so many variables.  Just get something that you will be comfortable learning on.  Foiling, at least for me, has been a steep learning curve, i am still on the journey.  Nowadays, there are so many board and foil options, it is easy to get into analysis paralysis.  Get a board you will be comfortable standing and paddling on, I would recommend a gofoil IWA wing.  the IWA wing has been a nice beginner wing to learn on.  Blue Planet has options too, talk to Robert Stehlik there.  Just know that in about 6 months you will probably be wanting to get a smaller board.  There seems to be a lot of second hand boards floating around now.  Just get out there and start the journey.

SUPdad

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2019, 06:07:47 PM »
Thanks, guys. I’m considering a 7’4”x30 and 120 liter board.  It doesn’t have a wide barge like shape that a lot of foil boards have these days. To me, it looks like a fat, wide shortboard.

SUPdad

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2019, 06:08:47 PM »
I got a PM and can’t reply to it. Can’t make out the cryptic letters you need to type in to prove you’re not a robot.  ;D

WindJunkie

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2019, 12:00:34 PM »
Would say you need less board than you think because the foil helps stabilize the rig.  I'm on oahu and could help you out but you need to figure out how to PM me so I can give you some contact info.

Stokage

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2019, 06:46:14 PM »
If anyone would like to suggest right size foil board for me, I am all ears and very appreciative!!
started foiling with an 8-6x31 converted sup board. Naish foil. can fly it fine limited turning. Am ready to get the smaller correct board.
52 yrs old, 5'9", 180-200lbs, decent middle skills sup surfer. paddle an L41 ST 7-9 x30 124L easy but struggle with L41 ST 7-4 x30 115L
any suggestions on the right foil board would be greatly appreciated
Thanks 

clay

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • www.clayisland.com
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2019, 08:41:33 PM »
Have yet to see this mentioned:  In my opinion the right foil for learning is way way way more crucial than the the right board.  When learning I tried a smaller light weight foil board, it helped for sure.  But when I then switched to an easy to fly and turn foil it was night and day difference, I could ride that beginner friendly foil on any board and be in control.  Stable wings.
Aloha, I welcome and appreciate all responses of positivity and good feeling.

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOIE6FWr1SpWvbPJIIiEgog

soepkip

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2019, 04:41:10 AM »
So which beginner friendly stable foils are easy to fly and turn for a 185 lbs guy?
« Last Edit: April 12, 2019, 04:43:02 AM by soepkip »

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2019, 10:25:12 AM »
GoFoil is certainly the standard. Especially the M200 and Iwa combination.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

soepkip

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2019, 01:49:10 AM »
What is holding me back is Gofoil's mast length.
I have a board with US box only so it is 29,5 +4,5= 34"

That is quite long for a beginner or even an intermediate.
And where I foil it mostly is shallow when waves are small.

clay

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • www.clayisland.com
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2019, 05:13:17 PM »
So which beginner friendly stable foils are easy to fly and turn for a 185 lbs guy?

The most stable and easiest to fly wings I have been on are the ride engine/slingshot 76 & 84 (the 84 might be overkill at your weight unless the waves really small), it looks like moses is the carbon version.  I haven't tried other gull wings but my guess is that paired with a flat like tail stab would be similarly stable.  I have no interest or sponsor or anything from them.  Also all the v tails I have ridden are really tippy and don't turn as predictably by comparison.
Aloha, I welcome and appreciate all responses of positivity and good feeling.

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOIE6FWr1SpWvbPJIIiEgog

* Recent Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal