Author Topic: Foil SUP Cowells Carnage  (Read 18150 times)

jondrums

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Re: Foil SUP Cowells Carnage
« Reply #30 on: April 20, 2019, 11:44:00 AM »
I always thought that more of the video should have been posted.  It was expertly trimmed specifically for one agenda.  These days one has to be tuned to this - when we see a complete video we understand the whole context.  When we see 10 seconds of video we miss the bigger picture.  Unfortunately, this type of propaganda seems to be really effective. 

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 20, 2019, 02:13:35 PM »
angels want to wear my red shoes........
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 20, 2019, 05:41:45 PM »
Nice of him to own it.

I’m still not sure why he didn’t pull out when he saw the dog dropping in. But I wasn’t driving the foil.

Forgiveness is truly the way. I believe that and try to live it. But it doesn’t get near the views and comments that hate does.

Also, remember kids. If you do something silly it helps to remind bloodthirsty Americans that they are supposedly Christian. In that tiny moment while they weigh their guilt vs their love of pitchforks you can run.

southwesterly

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 22, 2019, 02:51:28 PM »
The full video is out now. It gives an overall perspective of the day and the incident.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=143&v=BbNr5sfUm8s

« Last Edit: April 22, 2019, 02:56:21 PM by southwesterly »

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: April 22, 2019, 10:28:45 PM »
The full video is out now. It gives an overall perspective of the day and the incident.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=143&v=BbNr5sfUm8s
Nice to see the real situation. No fake news. A little busy for foiling though. For years I surfed near the next to out local pier. On the weekends there were always kids on boogie boards and tourist just floating. I'd avoid surfing there at those busy times.
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 23, 2019, 05:05:23 AM »
looks really crowded
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"

clay

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • www.clayisland.com
    • Email
« Reply #36 on: April 23, 2019, 05:04:54 PM »
Here is more video showing a foiler's perspective from the day in question:

Here is video from a ride just before the wave Homer dropped in on Jeff, this wave Jeff caught from outside and rode all the way to the pier:

Aloha, I welcome and appreciate all responses of positivity and good feeling.

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOIE6FWr1SpWvbPJIIiEgog

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 23, 2019, 07:47:36 PM »
I’ve done silly stuff and still will. People on here will view the videos. The other few hundred thousand viewers on Instagram will just think foils are dangerous and shouldn’t be allowed to surf those empty outside waves. I think the lesson has been learned and if anything we can point to this as a case where nothing bad happened.

Glad it was Jeff Clark and not me.  I’d be run out of the water on a rail. Never to return. lol

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 24, 2019, 05:12:50 AM »
dog dude clearly dropped jeff clark--that's unarguable--and that dog dude raised his hands as tho to say he got kooked by jeff clark, speaks poorly of dog dude

but the "crime" scene is very crowded--not sure best scene for a foil---now's clay's videos show no crowds at all, where shd be no issue with foiling---maybe best to stick to the spots where clay filmed?? and avoid mixing with the hordes??

clearly jeff clark made effort, once he noticed the proner in front of him, to ditch the foil safely away---but the potential for injury is pretty obvious from the video

conundrum--a shortboard can cut a guys face off in the wrong situation--where does the line get drawn on what can safely be in the lineup or not?

many would just as soon i, on an 8'4" sup, not be in the lineup.........
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"

SlatchJim

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 24, 2019, 08:21:56 AM »
Don't know either, and haven't seen the video, but we've all been put into situations while surfing where it goes from stoked to damage mitigation in nanoseconds.  I've been out surfing while Jeff has been foiling at San O, and while I remember him being there in the parking lot, I never saw him out on the water.  I think he's as serious about avoiding crowds as anyone I've ever seen. 

His response is exactly the kind I'd hope for from everyone I surf with.  I may not have had anything to say to him as far as friendly banter goes in the past, but I'll probably mention this post the next time I see him down south.  It's a testament to someone walking the walk (even with a hydrofoil beneath their feet  ;) ).

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #40 on: April 24, 2019, 08:30:15 AM »
Guess we're fortunate with our break, in that much of the time it's a much better "foil" break than it is a "surfing" break, and kind of the reason most of us there went to foils in the first place...to get on the water, and off the beach complaining how crappy the conditions are, like we used to do before the foils showed up.

Great thing about the foil...when the waves look good to the SUPers/surfers, and they start showing up...that usually means that all I have to do is paddle a little further south to get to the fun "foil" waves that those folks don't want anyway...especially not "surf camp" surfers.

Just seems to me that if/when you see yourself having to foil through a bunch of surfers of all "breeds" young and old...probably time to think about finding a "foilable" wave elsewhere, or at least pull out sometime earlier in your "400 yard" ride, and not try to suck out the very last little bit of wave in the unpredictability zone of the noobies, and doggies on their boards. JMO....YMMV.

EDIT: Yes, like SlatchJim...I've foiled with Jeff at Sano on several occasions, and he's fine to foil with on the water, and fun to talk to on the beach. Lot's of stoke, a very accomplished foiler, and just a nice guy all around.

That said, hindsight is 20/20...and my thoughts are that given to do it all over again, I'd bet on Jeff making a different choice, rather than trying to foil all the way in...and into harms way as it ended up being with the unpredictability of the the whole situation. Just my guess anyway....

« Last Edit: April 24, 2019, 08:56:45 AM by SanoSlatchSup »
Me: 6'1"/185...(2) 5'1" Kings Foil/Wing Boards...7'10 Kings DW Board...9'6" Bob Pearson "Laird Noserider"...14' Lahui Kai "Manta"...8'0" WaveStorm if/when the proning urges still hit.

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 24, 2019, 12:47:21 PM »
Maybe the problem always was the dog.

How's this for "Thug Life"

https://www.facebook.com/Kooklife/videos/280239576197612/

mrbig

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 24, 2019, 02:22:36 PM »
Big Moke wud punch the fins right off of that suckah! 
Let it come to you..
SMIK 9'2" Hipster Mini Mal
SMIK 8'8" Short Mac Freo Rainbow Bridge
SMIK 8'4" Hipster Twin
King's 8'2" Accelerator SharkBoy

clay

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • www.clayisland.com
    • Email
« Reply #43 on: April 24, 2019, 02:23:56 PM »
Maybe the problem always was the dog.

How's this for "Thug Life"

https://www.facebook.com/Kooklife/videos/280239576197612/

Wow! 

And twice in the past couple months!  I couldn't make this stuff up, the double standard, just wow:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BvH54oUAEC_/
Aloha, I welcome and appreciate all responses of positivity and good feeling.

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOIE6FWr1SpWvbPJIIiEgog

mrbig

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 24, 2019, 02:42:03 PM »
Clay +1 on that vid. People are having imaginary
conversations with a dog on social media.

Dawg can't control their board. ASPCA might have a very different opinion on the entire affair..
Let it come to you..
SMIK 9'2" Hipster Mini Mal
SMIK 8'8" Short Mac Freo Rainbow Bridge
SMIK 8'4" Hipster Twin
King's 8'2" Accelerator SharkBoy

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal