Author Topic: Foil SUP Cowells Carnage  (Read 18145 times)

southwesterly

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Foil SUP Cowells Carnage
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2019, 10:57:09 PM »
The guy on the longboard is Homer Henard and his dog Skylar. They surf together all over the place.

And that's Jeff Clark on the foil board.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2019, 11:08:49 PM by southwesterly »

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2019, 03:41:01 AM »
That Homer Henard character must have some serious ego problems.
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300
Sunova Flow  8'10 X 31"  119L
Me - 6'0" - 165lbs - 66yo

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2019, 09:29:48 AM »
I'll start by saying 'that is now how I would do it'.

The world of humans runs on social contracts.  These contracts only exist in our heads AND only work if we follow them collectively.

The contract as written on the bluff of Cowells is shown below. (If you live by a different set of rules please share)

As Clay recounted Jeff was on the wave riding alone through the middle section of Cowells, because only a foil can connect that section.  Homer looked at him coming down the line going right, of an unbreaking wave, and took off in front of Jeff going right. 

At this point the social contract was broken by Homer. 

Homer had apparently brought an entire film crew with him that day to film him and Skyler (dog).  The clip starts well after Homer and Skyler were up and surfing and now there are 3 people, including guy in water, re-writing their own 'social contract' in real-time.  Not-good.

I am not advocating foiling in crowds, as I stated 'that is now how I would do it' (simply straighten out or go left on the inside because my contract starts with don't crash into anyone even if they burn you) but realize that every perspective not in-line with the bench has not been collectively socialized and will lead to similar chaos.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2019, 09:42:04 AM by Beasho »

Fishman

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2019, 02:38:37 PM »
Fake news ???

No carnage at all. And blame the guy who got cut off.

The added distractions of a dog on a board. Seem to have lead to losing focus on the inside guys.
Just glad no one got hurt.
SupSurfMachine 9'9" longboard
SupSurfMachine  8'2" funboard

steamroller

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2019, 09:54:56 PM »
dumass move all the way...if you cant control your foil you need to GTFO! >:(

https://youtu.be/uplb1f6htnU

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2019, 09:21:38 PM »
Well, 136,000 views and 800+ comments on Kook of the Day on Instagram have undone all Kai Lenny’s good will work.

It hit the gram today and blew up.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2019, 10:52:59 PM »
Meaningless. The people who are going to hate foils will hate foils. I don't have any time for people who believe the only right way is their way. Fuck 'em.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

frenchfoiler

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2019, 08:13:32 AM »
That is very sad... We all have a responsability, we have freedom but sometimes to keep this freedom we need to do the right choice.

Surfers hate SUP and they hate foil, so a SUP foil almost killing somebody on a crowd day, what do you expect...

red_tx

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 13, 2019, 09:15:31 AM »
That is very sad... We all have a responsability, we have freedom but sometimes to keep this freedom we need to do the right choice.

Surfers hate SUP and they hate foil, so a SUP foil almost killing somebody on a crowd day, what do you expect...
I was holding my tongue.

I agree. Unfortunately I had to spend a year or two to gain enough respect to stand up in my local break. There are very few standies welcome there. I am just getting into foiling and would never do it even close to anyone here. This kind of negative press increases stink for standies and foilers. To me it could have easily been avoided by not foiling in a crowded lineup, regardless of who dropped in on who. Foils are sharp, snaggie and wreck even the rider/operator frequently with their erratic snapping behavior(seen in video at kick out), much more so potentially for some newbie on the inside or someone ducking the wave.

Its history now and everyone has seen it. My prone buddy(who is getting into foiling) showed it to me on instagrunt last night at the pub and all I could think if was "um yea.. thats not good" especially for foilers and even more so for standies as he was holding a broom.

Every once in a while we see a group of standies from Portland paddle out way past the line and sit outside taking most of the rides through the line on huge barges, barely in control etc. I have to admit I am embarrassed of and for them. There will always be folks kooking out.

Dog surfer kook is definitely at fault here with his lame shit, but in the end foiler dude made history, being in the wrong place at the wrong time.

-red
« Last Edit: April 13, 2019, 09:17:07 AM by red_tx »

Tom

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 13, 2019, 12:00:59 PM »
I'm not taking sides here but heard an interesting comment from a fellow surfer. We were discussing foil surfing and he said it was too dangerous for them to surf where others are surfing. I kind of defended foiling saying that most don't get close to surfers until they are quite competent. His comment was that foilers show up with helmets and impact vest and if they're going to surf around him, they need to bring him a helmet and vest too.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 13, 2019, 12:37:46 PM »

I agree with you completely, my point is simply that NOT foiling at Cowells won't make the haters stop hating. I've had a couple of close calls as a result of foiling in lineups with prone or SUP surfers. It doesn't even take a crowd. In one case it was just me and a longboarder in sloppy crap at the Harbor. He was letting wave after wave pass while I waited for him to take one. Finally I turned to paddle for a wave and he went, then cut a long way across the face to block me from going--way out of the pocket to do that. I backed out, but some whitewater caught me and I fell. My board bumped him. I paddled over and I apologized for screwing up his ride but he left, tight-jawed. Devin Blish was paddling out and saw the incident, and said "what, couldn't he share a wave that's 100 feet wide?" but I consider it completely my fault, I shouldn't have let my impatience push me to even start for a wave that I knew the guy might take. Especially since as limited as my head motion is, I didn't see him until he was up and coming my way.

That's a long way to say "shit happens" but foilers really can't let "shit" happen when we have stuff under our board that endangers other people. I'm glad my two incidents didn't result in other people getting hurt, but I'm not going to count on good luck.

Be careful out there.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 19, 2019, 08:07:31 PM »
From Jeff: Please share wherever you see the hate:

-----------------

FEAR THE HATE NOT THE FOIL

When I became aware of the video that was posted on Instagram by @myallsnaps to promote his anti-foil objective, it was really disappointing that the truth was hidden behind sensationalism, social media and hate for something most people don't understand. Gerrin Myall's 12-second video of me flopping as I eject my board away from a surf rental visitor is a great video for @kookoftheday and every surf/hate promoting site.

What is actually happening is me riding a wave more than 400 yards before he even starts his video, and I see a guy on his board with a dog on the nose, paddling out. I see him and he sees me. And I'm thinking, no problem I'm going to get right out to the shoulder where he's paddling over the wave, and I'll be out of the zone that I don't want to be in. But former professional surfer Homer, with the dog on the nose of his board, spins around and takes off in front of me and towards me, completely blocking my ability to get out of the wave.

I own it. I don't ever want to be foiling around people. If you know anything about me, you know I don't like to surf around people, never have. Yet with my escape route blocked, I next had to deal with a bunch of surf school students who may have never been in the ocean before. This is one wave in my lifetime of waves, and I ended up in a really bad place and did everything possible to keep the foil away from man and beast.

What is really amazing to me is the amount of hate that surfers and keyboard jockeys have pent-up. The surfing message boards and media lit up with controversy promoting hate and control.

The video got over 200,000 views, caused by a pro surfer and his dog dropping in on me and captured by his personal photographer as I get stuffed. Did I think a professional surfer would disregard the safety of his dog and everyone in the water to get his video? No.

I was really bummed when it happened. I made sure everyone was ok, the guy on the soft top was all good, and we talked about how stoked he was to be in the ocean for the first time. For me, the incident was extremely disappointing but having no one hurt was the best outcome. For Gerrin Myall and Homer. it meant social media views.

As I have discovered foiling over the past few years, I realize its potential and its dangers. And through the proper guidance, education and leadership, foiling can be done safely - and not in a crowded lineup.

If I have personally wronged you, I am sorry. I am grateful for this life we get to live doing what we do. I will continue to care about the well-being of all of you and those around me.

Here is a thought that I try my best to live by:

The Lord often requires us to do things that we think sound impossible. Forgive seventy times seven? This does not mean 490 times, but boundless forgiveness, that we travel with forgiveness for those who have wronged us. Forgiveness is not always easy, especially when we have been deeply hurt or wronged, but the Lord’s command to forgive is one that can free and heal our hearts and cultivate boundless love for our neighbors.

Have a happy Easter weekend as we celebrate Jesus Christ who gave his life for us.

- Jeff Clark

nalu-sup

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: April 19, 2019, 08:33:33 PM »
Perfectly written Jeff. Respect.
8'7" Sunova Flow 
8'8" Sunova SP25
9'0" Elua Makani
9'0" Tabou SupaSurf 
14' SIC Bullet 2020

J-Bird

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: April 20, 2019, 06:53:17 AM »
That was a great write-up Jeff. God bless and have a great Easter.

mrbig

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 20, 2019, 07:04:42 AM »
Ahimsa, Non violence. Forgive.

Thanks Beasho for sharing Jeff's beautiful post.

What's so funny about peace, love, and understanding?

Happy Easter!
Let it come to you..
SMIK 9'2" Hipster Mini Mal
SMIK 8'8" Short Mac Freo Rainbow Bridge
SMIK 8'4" Hipster Twin
King's 8'2" Accelerator SharkBoy

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal