Author Topic: Foil SUP Cowells Carnage  (Read 18139 times)

DailyBread Surf Photo

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • RapidRescoreCredit.com
Foil SUP Cowells Carnage
« on: March 30, 2019, 07:37:45 AM »
Surprised you guys aren't discussing this.  Can't confirm specifically, but word around the campfire is that it's Jeff Clark.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BviX_3xgU2k/

supdiscobay

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Foil SUP Cowells Carnage
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2019, 08:05:47 AM »
Classic Cowells!
You will always catch a wave with 10 or more of your "best friends".
You will then have to go through the slalom course of people in the water, who virtually do everything they can to get in your way, without knowing it.
I really don't think I would ever take a foil out there.  But it doesn't matter if you are on a longboard, shortboard (yes some do paddle out on shortboards), SUP, Kayak, prone paddleboard, or foil, at some point you will likely hit someone or get hit by someone.
So if you paddle out at Cowells, expect the worst, and don't complain when it happens, because it will.
There are many other surf spots in town, with a lot fewer people. 
That doesn't mean that they aren't crowded though. Just fewer people.
8'5" Starboard Pocket Rocket, 8'0" Kazuma Fugu custom,  8'10" Kings Sidewinder, 10' Starboard Noserider, 14' BARK Carbon Dominator, SIC F16 V3, KeNalu and Quickblade paddles, 19' Eaton Prone, 67" Goode 9700

Evan Lloyd

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2019, 08:24:03 AM »
Foiling in Santa Cruz is tricky due to the kelp. Cowells is a pretty good setup for foiling but it is either crowded or flat. I’ve foiled Cowells several times and back there this summer. Surfing at Cowells requires a great deal of situational awareness, but it can be done safely.

Dave Kalama’s comment was pretty funny.
davekalama@thewingnut he made a really, really bad decision. Foil license revoked. Somebody get him a nerf football.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2019, 08:30:19 AM by Evan Lloyd »

Tom

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2019, 09:51:56 AM »
What about surfing with a dog sitting on the the nose of your  :o?

JEG

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2019, 02:44:01 PM »
I can never understand what the atraction of surfing in crowded places? ::)

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2019, 04:09:03 PM »
Thank god that wasn't me. Whoever it was actually did a semi good job of not carving anyone up, but was nuts to be in that kind of crowd. Sometimes at Cowell's though, you have a clear line one moment and then an entire fleet of lemmings closes in on you. It is probably the second most bonehead-packed place in the world to surf. First is, of course, Malibu. No contest.

Dropping in with a dog is pretty special.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2019, 04:37:09 PM »
Surfing with a dog is a stupid thing to do. The guy must think he's really cool.
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300
Sunova Flow  8'10 X 31"  119L
Me - 6'0" - 165lbs - 66yo

red_tx

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2019, 06:24:36 PM »
I never understood why anyone would foil in the lineup. Especially if its crowded.

Why not go down a ways where you can catch rides without being in the lineup? Isn't that part of the beauty of foiling?

I promise it would not go well here in the PNW
-red

DailyBread Surf Photo

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • RapidRescoreCredit.com
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2019, 09:12:04 PM »
Wheres beasho on this subject.  Thought Jeff Clark was his buddy.  ???

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2019, 12:53:57 AM »
I never understood why anyone would foil in the lineup. Especially if its crowded.

Why not go down a ways where you can catch rides without being in the lineup? Isn't that part of the beauty of foiling?

I promise it would not go well here in the PNW
-red

The problem is kelp. Not a lot of places that you could foil in the kelp region. Never an issue in the PNW.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

clay

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • www.clayisland.com
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2019, 08:55:44 PM »
Been wondering if this video would run out of steam or go viral.

This video only shows a small portion of the whole ride and the decisions that were made.

Why foil here? In my opinion Cowells is one of, if not the best foil spot in the world.  Has been foiled from calf high to triple overhead plus.  Breaks year round, on just about any decent sized swell, wind protected, cleans up within hours of a front passing through, and 800+ yard rides have been recorded by several foilers.

Several of the best foilers in the world foiled Cowells this week, they were ripping so good!  At least 100 people out, no one got “almost killed”.   Kai Lenny foiled here last year - 360 air...

I have been quiet about this spot for several reasons.  This past month the hate has been strong, lots of talk of banning foils. Seems like a good time to go public...

On the day of this video the foiler caught a wave earlier in the morning and rode 700 plus yards all the way to the pier, people were impressed, all is good.

An epic foil day, solid swell, only a handful of people in the foil zone.  Tide was on the way up, so a lot of surfers and foilers had paddled in already.

There were 2 foilers out at the take off spot, which was where indictator backed off and mushed out.  The surfers from outside would kick out here.  Only SUP foilers were able to catch this wave and then ride into an area with no one else around. 

This time last year another solid swell hit Cowells and a foiler was the only person out.  This year Cowells has an epic sandbar, it's been breaking and lined up on almost all tides, very unusual.

In this video foiler catches wave from way out, rides 700 yards.  When he gets close to the inner bar dog surfer looks at him and decides to go anyway (Dog boarder said something along the lines of he thought foiler was going to go left...and sounded like he was also faulting the beginner for being in the wrong spot…).  Had dogboarder not burned foiler all would be good, no video, no outrage.  The beginner that was landed on is reported to have been fine and laughing about the encounter.  Again no issue if this biased video didn't get posted.

I suspect when the miracle sandbar washes away, the outrage will go with it.  The foilers will have high tide all to ourselves again, and this whole episode will be over nothing.  If not, and foil hate grows, we might need all your help keeping Cowells a legal foil spot.

For me foiling is rad, and I believe there's enough room for all craft out there.

Hoping foil love dissolves foil phobia.
Aloha, I welcome and appreciate all responses of positivity and good feeling.

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOIE6FWr1SpWvbPJIIiEgog

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2019, 09:49:09 PM »
The foil had position. The dog dude shoulder hopped. The newbie was blocking in the wrong spot. It happens when it gets busy. I only have problems with wave hogs and haters. Boogie boards, short boards, foils, long boards, surf sups, race boards, wave skis, etc. are all fine as long as you are in control. If you're not stay off the main break.
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2019, 08:56:41 PM »
No comment.

But if I did something like this at my local I’d never be allowed back in the water.

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2019, 07:47:54 AM »
Wheres beasho on this subject.  Thought Jeff Clark was his buddy.  ???

Right, and that's Wingnut (Weaver) on the longboard, no not the surfer, the dog...

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2019, 08:59:51 PM »
Actually Bean, over on the Surfer Forum they’ve matched the board. It’s apparently Jeff.

Can anyone confirm this?

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal