Stand Up Paddle > Whitewater and River SUP

Castlegar to Trail 40 kilometres downriver.

(1/1)

robon:
Almost forgot this forum exists. The Columbia River is really low right now, but this is still a fun trip with several sections of class 1-2 rapids. My friend and I put in at Robson/Castlegar and paddled through the town of Trail to a spot known as Rock Island that has a popular surfing wave that is in decent shape right now. My friend is using a Starboard Astro Stream 9'6" x 36" for the river and I'm using a Hala Hoss 11" X 34". I put my camera/phone away for the rapids and will try to get some better pics when the river is running at a higher volume and do the trip again. This trip is a blast with a lot of different areas to explore and play in when the river is running high. At low water, it's pretty much a straight run through, but still a good time.

singingdog:
Looks like a beautiful trip.

FRP:
Thanks for posting! Beautiful area. I lived and worked  in Trail 25 years ago. Fantastic outdoor recreation area with skiing in nearby Rossland. Hope to do some paddling in the east Kootenay area this summer.

That wave must be a monster at full flow of the river!

Cheers

Bob

robon:

--- Quote from: FRP on March 30, 2019, 07:26:30 AM ---Thanks for posting! Beautiful area. I lived and worked  in Trail 25 years ago. Fantastic outdoor recreation area with skiing in nearby Rossland. Hope to do some paddling in the east Kootenay area this summer.

That wave must be a monster at full flow of the river!

Cheers

Bob

--- End quote ---

Thanks. Small World. Where are you living at now? If you're checking out the east Koots, stop in at Just Liquid Sports in Cranbrook if you are inn the area and they can help with local paddling spots. Furthest east I have lived in BC is Creston, so I don't have much experience east other than a few lakes but there is a lot to explore for sure.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version