Author Topic: JL Superfrank Dawn Patrol C.3  (Read 5432 times)

LBsup

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
JL Superfrank Dawn Patrol C.3
« on: March 29, 2019, 07:39:47 AM »
Continue to experiment with the soloshot when I can.  This morning it was choppier than I expected but still fun.  Soloshot seems to track better although in the beginning it was a bit high and out of focus then corrected itself.  I also tested having the tripod at its lowest height to use when very windy.  I didn't do any editing, left it to the soloshot beta software; i'm amazed how it highlights the rides and clips them together.

Black Project Texcarbon, 85 blade, 69
8’10 Sunova Ghost, 137L

WhatsSUP

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Re: JL Superfrank Dawn Patrol C.3
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2019, 07:46:41 AM »
Very nice vid LB!  Some nice size waves and certainly looks like you made the most out of the chop.  Really like the look of some of your rides and your smooth and fluid turns.

Great way to start your day for sure!!!!!

Thanks for sharing!!!
Jimmy Lewis B&B Flat nose 10'1"
Sunova Creek 9'4" 
TAVA 11'2"
NSP Element 11'
KeNalu Wiki paddle
Kialoa Insanity paddle
Misc other paddles

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2019, 08:04:08 AM »
Flowey Style 8) Definitely made the chop look smooth. You should think about getting a tail handle. Having the board suck over the falls in your face is never good.
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2019, 08:20:14 AM »
Those waves were just made for the Super Frank.

I think you may be developing a bad habit. When surfing the wave, your front foot should be on the center line of the board. Having your front foot off center is throwing off your point of balance requiring your back foot to overcompensate. The first thing you should do once you've caught the wave is to make sure your front foot is on the center line. The back foot can go anywhere you want but the front foot should always be centered.

I agree with TallDude on the tail handle.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2019, 08:28:33 AM by Badger »
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300
Sunova Flow  8'10 X 31"  119L
Me - 6'0" - 165lbs - 66yo

LBsup

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2019, 09:07:03 AM »
Thanks for the feedback fellas!

Badger I have a few bad habits not riding on the tail is another one.  I think part of my problem is I’m lazy going from parallel to surf stance.  I do try to adjust while riding but I’m also trying to make the most of the ride so it doesn’t always work out.  The one wave where I dug a rail the wave went from mush to hollow quick and I didn’t compensate fast enough.
8’10 Sunova Ghost, 137L

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Piney Woods of Southeast Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2019, 09:25:05 AM »
Hey, nice video. Pretty good sized waves for sup surfing. Looks like they were generating good speed.

Must be called where you are since you're wearing a wetsuit. Thanks for sharing your video.
Blue Planet Duke: 10'5" x 32" x 4.5" @ 190 Liters (2 Dukes)
Sup Sports Hammer: 8'11" x 31" x 4" @ 140 Liters
SUP Sports One World: 11'1" x 30" x 4.5" @ 173 Liters
CJ Nelson Parallax: 9'3" x 23 1/2" x 3 3/16" @ 78.8 Liters (prone surfing longboard; Thunderbolt Technologies build in Red construction)

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2019, 03:21:57 PM »
One great thing about the SF is that you don't have to ride from the tail. It steers perfectly well from the center of the board with your foot just behind the handle.

I still haven't mastered getting back on the tail. I think you have to generate a lot of speed to do that.

I usually go from parallel stance to surf stance in one jump. Then fine tune once I'm surfing. It's easy to fine tune your stance when all you have to think about is your back foot.

With your front foot off center, you are riding halfway between a surf stance and a parallel stance.

« Last Edit: March 29, 2019, 03:40:52 PM by Badger »
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Piney Woods of Southeast Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2019, 04:36:02 PM »
@ Badger

I watched the video you posted. As for the "square stance" in the video, since I had a wild hare and tried this stance a few years ago as an experiment, I can honestly say this stance does not work for me at all.

Surf stance is the "cat's meow' for me.  8)
Blue Planet Duke: 10'5" x 32" x 4.5" @ 190 Liters (2 Dukes)
Sup Sports Hammer: 8'11" x 31" x 4" @ 140 Liters
SUP Sports One World: 11'1" x 30" x 4.5" @ 173 Liters
CJ Nelson Parallax: 9'3" x 23 1/2" x 3 3/16" @ 78.8 Liters (prone surfing longboard; Thunderbolt Technologies build in Red construction)

OkiWild

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2019, 06:07:41 PM »
Nice vid and some great rides.

I wonder how you guys keep your Soloshot from being stolen... ;-)

LBsup

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2019, 04:19:56 AM »
One great thing about the SF is that you don't have to ride from the tail. It steers perfectly well from the center of the board with your foot just behind the handle.

I still haven't mastered getting back on the tail. I think you have to generate a lot of speed to do that.

I usually go from parallel stance to surf stance in one jump. Then fine tune once I'm surfing. It's easy to fine tune your stance when all you have to think about is your back foot.

With your front foot off center, you are riding halfway between a surf stance and a parallel stance.

Hey Badger,  I agree with your take on the SF and being able to get it going without being on the tail.  I come from a surfing background so I like the feeling of going frontside and backside.  I’m surprised Luke Egan was buying that.
8’10 Sunova Ghost, 137L

LBsup

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2019, 04:23:46 AM »
Nice vid and some great rides.

I wonder how you guys keep your Soloshot from being stolen... ;-)
Thanks Oki.  Luckily where I surf there’s very few surfers and most people on the beach are passing by going for a stroll.  I may have to be more on guard when summer arrives.
8’10 Sunova Ghost, 137L

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2019, 06:11:09 AM »

Hey Badger,  I agree with your take on the SF and being able to get it going without being on the tail.  I come from a surfing background so I like the feeling of going frontside and backside.  I’m surprised Luke Egan was buying that.

Lol.

After trying parallel stance for a few years, Luke Egan eventually went back to a normal surf stance. His front foot is dead center here.

« Last Edit: March 31, 2019, 06:40:09 AM by Badger »
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300

toolate

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2019, 05:38:57 PM »
Do folks who are on shorter boards use surfer stance when paddling into waves? I still am stuck in the habit of parallel stance till i get some momentum and then jump into full surfers...cant break the habit

OkiWild

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2019, 02:35:38 AM »
Do folks who are on shorter boards use surfer stance when paddling into waves? I still am stuck in the habit of parallel stance till i get some momentum and then jump into full surfers...cant break the habit

I stand in a staggered stance, with one foot back, but not inline. As soon as I feel the board "catch," I might move the rear foot back a little, and then the front foot over. Not really a jump, like I used to do. More critical the wave (big, hollow, steep, and scary), the closer I get to true surf stance. When I first changed over to SUP a year and a half ago, I could only stand slightly staggered parallel, and had to jump to position.

I'm trying to work my way back to what I could ride on a short board. When the size picks up, our waves here are mostly draining, slabbing reef break. Paddling into that in a parallel stance is a non starter. Things happen way to fast to do a major stance change, but me paddling in a full surf stance is sure fire way to broach at the critical moment, get pitched and severely beaten. Last summer, I was really frustrated, as I'd paddle out to a normal spot I'd surf on a good typhoon swell, but be way to nervous to paddle into the bowl when a set was approaching. So on flat days, I started paddling the boards I surf, and practiced paddling in surf stance. Also practicing on longer in and out paddles to outer reefs. Start in a staggered parallel stance, and with forward movement established, switch to full surf stance, and dig as hard as I can in intervals.

I'd say it completely depends on the waves you have, and what you want to do. On soft waves and a long board, I'll stand parallel, with one foot about a foot-length back, and as soon as the wave catches, calmly walk to position. Going through some of my videos (not many now), I can see a different stance for different waves and different boards. On heavier drops, I'll start off a little staggered, and as soon as I start digging for it, I'll go to an almost full surf stance now. It takes conscious practice to do it, but not all waves and boards require it... If you're getting into what you want and not falling off, you're having fun :-)

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2019, 04:19:19 AM »
The pro's paddle around in surf stance all the time. I've never been able to do that but I'm working on getting into surf stance earlier as the wave approaches. Age seems to be working against me though now that I'm in my 60's. Every year I get better at it but as I get older, I also regress a bit.

Getting way up on the nose to help wave entry is another move I want to master. My 7"6 Super Frank seems like a perfect candidate for this maneuver. I've watched other people do it but it's not as easy as it looks. Stance, weight distribution, paddle technique and timing all have to line up.

« Last Edit: April 01, 2019, 04:25:23 AM by Badger »
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300

* Recent Posts

post Re: Sunova Ghost 8'10 SUP
[Classifieds]
kliss99
Today at 05:01:39 AM
post Re: Need a new Impact Vest
[Wingsurfing, Windfoiling, Wingfoiling, Wing SUP]
PonoBill
April 23, 2024, 07:55:28 PM
B-Walnut
April 23, 2024, 07:26:43 PM
spindrift
April 23, 2024, 07:16:46 PM
B-Walnut
April 23, 2024, 06:56:28 PM
post Need a new Impact Vest
spindrift
April 23, 2024, 06:36:51 PM
post Re: Ocean Rodeo Glide-Allula
kiteboarder
April 23, 2024, 06:06:50 PM
B-Walnut
April 23, 2024, 04:22:52 PM
kiteboarder
April 23, 2024, 03:07:49 PM
B-Walnut
April 23, 2024, 02:59:32 PM
Dwight (DW)
April 23, 2024, 02:41:07 PM
post Re: Erik Antonson interview with Stacy Peralta
[Random]
surfinJ
April 23, 2024, 01:34:42 PM
post Fanatic 8.3 Allwave
[Classifieds]
firesurf
April 23, 2024, 01:28:40 PM
B-Walnut
April 23, 2024, 01:24:35 PM
post Re: At what age did you, or do you plan to retire?
[Random]
surfinJ
April 23, 2024, 01:24:13 PM
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal