Author Topic: Another Board Recommendation Thread, Flat Water?  (Read 3507 times)

Scallop

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Another Board Recommendation Thread, Flat Water?
« on: March 28, 2019, 08:47:03 AM »
Sorry for the wordy post. I'm performing an honest assessment of how I spend my time in stand up and would appreciate some Zoner feedback.

I'm wondering if I should be looking at a board that better supports how I actually paddle. Understand my mileage may vary on any recommendations or feedback but I want a knowledge base so I can have educated discussions when I'm out there looking if I go down this road.

Currently have an Allrounder surf shape planing board, typical entry to the sport as I understand and a dedicated long board surf sup that also serves duel purpose for a light weight SUP for my better half. My Allrounder really surfs fine for the waves and limited opportunities I currently have and I have no plans to move it, the dedicated surf SUP maybe.

Goals are enhanced general paddling experience, improved up wind performance, increased range, limited quiver/"one board solution". In the board weight is important, we often walk a couple of blocks to launch from the house, or cover ground to beach launch. Thinking I could do better than bashing the wide planing board nose upwind. My wife, is also involved and has talked about some fun racing, but that's a second discussion. We do paddle together a lot so she will follow the path if just to keep up.

This is the honest breakdown of activity.

Daily - Salt water estuary paddling, sheltered but open water but subject to wind and tides. This by far the most common activity.

In the summer daily taking the place of the above - Near shore ocean paddling, relatively calm conditions can have to deal with boat cross chop, changing conditions, Gulf of Mexico. In conjunction, would like to glide or “surf” non breaking waves/bumps if possible surf. This is close second to the previous for most common especially in the summer.

Down Breezers 5 – 20 MPH winds, occasionally in the Spring/Fall schedule permitting with short shuttle. Paddle upwind short distance and glide back more often.

Dedicated surfing, rare, seasonal, love it when I can but very limited opportunity.

Me older 50+,athletic, good balance, 6', about 205 currently, good stamina and paddle power. Need to drop a few but wings and beer......working on improving my diet but......wings and beer.....it's a process.

So should I be looking at a flat water/all water race board? Will it be a significant "upgrade" over what I currently have?
Specs- 14', something like that? 12.5? Something else?
How wide - 25" minimum? Planing or cutting nose?

Been looking around researching as I tend to do. This is kind of where I have been looking and will go out and get some tests/demos. Also not sure I'm into the dugout thing, some depressed deck OK. $ is a consideration, I wouldn't be looking to pay 3K+, would look for sale/leftovers to get a new board around 2K. Would go used also if I could find something fairly local.

Some local boards:
Sunova Allwater Faast 14 x 25.5
Sunova Flatwater Faast 25
Bark Vapor 14x26 might be heavy
NSP Puma 14 x 24 too skinny?
Allstars various 14's

Some stuff I looked at online
The 404 boards 14 x 25.5 V3 or LTD look really light
14 x 26 vapor again heavy?
Allstars various
Maliko Heavy?

Totally off base? Something else? Wasting my time, just stick with what I have?

Again appreciate the feedback for the newby.

Sunova Steeze 9'6"
NSP Coco Flax Allrounder 10'11"
NSP Elements Allrounder 10'11"
Surftech 10'6"

JimK

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Big Guys can have fun too!
    • View Profile
Re: Another Board Recommendation Thread, Flat Water?
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2019, 10:07:53 AM »
Scallop,

The boards you are looking at are nice raceboards and some of them can ride waves enough to get to shore not to enjoy (except I like ridding my 14Ft in tiny surf but that is another story. Anyway, you will need to keep a all around or dedicated surf SUP for any of those.

What it looks like to me is you are doing more touring than surfing/racing Although you will need a all around surfable craft for any real waves The Touring boards I've listed are (by my std's) fun to surf.

Fanatic RAY
Quatro ROAM
Starboard Freeride
JP Australia Hybrid (ACTUALLY REAL FUN IN WAVES AND limited Downwind)

To be more specific where you are located might help refine the search

JimK
Extreme Windsurfing

nalu-sup

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2019, 11:26:49 AM »
I will add one more option for you to consider. If you go onto the SIC website, and look under special offers, your fill find the FX 12'6" Tour on sale for 40% off. At 30" wide, it is more about stability than a sleek racing hull, but that might pay off in some of the choppier conditions. It is not super light, but that is reflected in the price. Certainly not for ripping around in the surf, but as you will see in the picture on the website page, it will certainly catch and glide on bumps. Two friends of mine got these for easy flat water use, and they have been delighted. https://sicmaui.com/special-offers-sic/12-6-fx-tour.html
8'7" Sunova Flow 
8'8" Sunova SP25
9'0" Elua Makani
9'0" Tabou SupaSurf 
14' SIC Bullet 2020

Scallop

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2019, 01:02:09 PM »
I'm in West Florida, hence the issue with wave riding opportunities.

My Allrounder surf shape SUP is fine for riding waves, not too bad on flat water either in good conditions. I have a dedicated Surf Sup also. I was thinking since most of what I do is "flat water" oriented maybe I should think on improving my gear in that area.

The question is with the options out there, which there are quite a few, what direction to look on a board type based on what I actually do and have opportunity to do, very little of which is surfing.

Just GAS honestly.

Sunova Steeze 9'6"
NSP Coco Flax Allrounder 10'11"
NSP Elements Allrounder 10'11"
Surftech 10'6"

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2019, 04:31:47 PM »

My Allrounder surf shape SUP is fine for riding waves, not too bad on flat water either in good conditions. I have a dedicated Surf Sup also. I was thinking since most of what I do is "flat water" oriented maybe I should think on improving my gear in that area.

The question is with the options out there, which there are quite a few, what direction to look on a board type based on what I actually do and have opportunity to do, very little of which is surfing.

Just GAS honestly.

I'd say save your money for now. It looks like you're still playing with few ideas as to where do you see your self. Try some more boards, for extended paddles if possible.
The thing with racing is it could be addicting but you have to wait and see if you caught the bug other wise you'll be stuck with somewhat expensive board that is not a great
tourer and not great in the waves and not too comfortable for long cruises.

Who knows, you may find your self with a low volume 12'6"x28-29"  that can cover miles, handle cross-wind catch some waves and even downwind here and there for
half the price and twice the fun.
in progress...

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2019, 07:51:51 PM »

Just GAS honestly.
I think you’ve got some good advice here. But I’d take another tack: yes, IMO racebiards that aren’t too narrow are very nice to paddle in the conditions you describe. If you are paddling regularly you will certainly notice the difference. You’ll also need to recognise that they can be more technical to paddle than all-rounders.

You might be able to find a used or heavily discounted Jimmy Lewis Sidewinder  14x25 or 14x27 near you. That’s a great all-waters distance/race board and the 2017 one is very light and easy to carry over longer distances. Try to denomine if you can, get an idea of the kind of widths you can cope with in a raceboard. Raceboards tend to be tippy, compared with surf shapes. But the paddling pleasure is higher.

Don’t spend a bucket of money on a board without trying it first.

Ichabod Spoonbill

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Hudson Valley, NY
    • View Profile
    • HVH2O
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2019, 05:51:57 AM »
I would look into some of the touring models in the 12.5–14' range. NSP has a great touring shape with a lot of nice tie-downs for stowing gear. Almost every brand has touring models though.
Pau Hana 11' Big EZ Ricochet (Beluga)

Jacko

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2019, 04:03:59 PM »
Maybe even look at the ONE EVO 2.0 14 x 26 or 14 x 28 in Elite or Dynamic as both are light and extremely durable. I think a new shipment of ONE boards is headed your way very soon so it would be a good time to have a chat with the ONE US importers. https://www.oneoceansports.com/partners

You can read all about the boards on the website and also all about the constructions in the blogs on the same site.

supthecreek

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2019, 01:42:26 AM »
Hi Scallop,

If you have Sunova's available near you, I highly recommend that you look closely at them and demo if possible.
Sunova makes amazing boards that are very light and durable... and they are winning races around the world.

I am Sunova's spokesman on the Zone, so if I can be of any help, please don't hesitate to ask me.

Sunova owners love their boards for a reason.... I think you'll find out why, if you give them a close look  :)

cast.ms

• Waikiki Status
  • Exercise Physiologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2019, 09:06:09 PM »
Have you taken a look at Flying Fish?  Their Freeglide is a single quiver board; I'm definitely not an expert rider, but have raced it in all but true open water conditions with success.

All of them are custom, made in Florida, starting in the mid $2000's.  If you reach out, John can make a recommendation on dimensions and try to find a way for you to get on one before committing.

https://www.flyingfishboardco.com
14'x24" Flying Fish Freeglide
12’6” Red Paddle Elite
9’8” Red Paddle Ride
KeNalu Mana 90
Black Project Hydro 83

* Recent Posts

post Re: Sunova Faast Pro Allwater 14x27
[Classifieds]
gcs
Today at 01:22:14 PM
post Re: SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 17, 2024, 10:23:58 PM
[Gear Talk]
dietlin
April 17, 2024, 07:54:48 AM
[Gear Talk]
B-Walnut
April 16, 2024, 11:10:15 PM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
finbox
April 16, 2024, 06:05:51 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:33 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:23 PM
[Gear Talk]
Dusk Patrol
April 16, 2024, 11:21:42 AM
[Gear Talk]
firesurf
April 16, 2024, 11:04:18 AM
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 16, 2024, 09:48:08 AM
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 16, 2024, 06:37:12 AM
post Lahonawinds WIND HAWK-Inflatable Wingboard
[Classifieds]
kitesurferro
April 16, 2024, 05:12:26 AM
post SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 16, 2024, 12:40:25 AM
post SIC Raptor Foil and Board For Sale
[Classifieds]
addapost
April 15, 2024, 04:25:26 PM
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 15, 2024, 02:40:38 PM
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal