Poll

What music source do you listen to in your car?

FM antena
16 (29.6%)
XM
3 (5.6%)
Spotify
6 (11.1%)
Pandora
4 (7.4%)
Streaming FM station
2 (3.7%)
Apple Music
5 (9.3%)
Live 365
0 (0%)
YouTube
2 (3.7%)
CD's or MP3's
14 (25.9%)
Other
2 (3.7%)

Total Members Voted: 30

Author Topic: Is FM radio dying?  (Read 9420 times)

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
Re: Is FM radio dying?
« Reply #30 on: March 28, 2019, 12:56:50 PM »
...and YouTube is killer because you can cheat in learning the riffs.  These guys are very talented.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFZvn7ZiC7g

Learning riffs from You Tube isn't cheating, it's an great resource for that, saves so much time.

For sure.  Tab stuff is fine but it registers for me when I watch someone play it.  Plus, being able to slow it way down on YouTube is so helpful.

Scallop

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: March 28, 2019, 01:12:57 PM »
Don't want to derail the thread. I've been playing for quite a while. I try and work them out by ear first then might go to you tube for confirmation. I'll play along with the pros too, good for the timing. Have fun.

« Last Edit: March 28, 2019, 01:21:02 PM by Scallop »
Sunova Steeze 9'6"
NSP Coco Flax Allrounder 10'11"
NSP Elements Allrounder 10'11"
Surftech 10'6"

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: March 28, 2019, 02:13:58 PM »
Don't want to derail the thread.
We are talking about Modulating on different Frequencies, so it's on the same rail ;) 
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

surf4food

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: March 28, 2019, 06:35:44 PM »
Rock music died at the end of the last rock genre which was Grunge. Nothing new has happened since the turn of the century. Just a rehashing of everything that was done before. We might hear a good new song now and then, but there is no real music scene to go along with it.

Every decade before the turn of the century had many music genres and a scene to go with them. Each genre had a name and you felt like you were a part of that worldwide scene. Some genres even came back a second or third time and were reborn with a totally new sound. It was radio that spread the word. We chose the station that played our music. For me that was mostly college radio which today is pretty lame compared to what it was in the 70', 80's and 90's.

So, not only is radio dying, rock is dead, at least until a new genre is discovered. I think 50 years is a pretty good run.

I remember when Wall of Voodoo came out with Mexican Radio. Those were good times.

If you like MC5, you'll like this:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v820WfYBkew

surf4food

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: March 28, 2019, 06:41:12 PM »
In my truck since I don't have any streaming or satellite, I pretty much listen to KPBS (San Diego's NPR affiliate), or our local jazz station Jazz 88.3 (real jazz, not lame smooth jazz).  At work Pandora, Spotify or I'll stream Seattle listener supported KPBS (www.kpbs.org).  Yes I think terrestrial radio in general is dying with some exceptions.

surf4food

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: March 28, 2019, 06:51:23 PM »
Thanks for the Demob. I was just complaining that there aren't any 3 man rock bands any more (that I know of). I've always been a fan of Cream, James Gang, ZZ Top, Police, etc

You're in San Diego right?   There's our own Schizophonics:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dwRiCf2zw_o

OK two men and one women.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2019, 06:54:14 PM by surf4food »

surf4food

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #36 on: March 28, 2019, 07:02:01 PM »
Regardless of what medium you're using, any one who says there's no good new rock music is not looking hard enough.  And yes that includes three piece bands.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FrMacbbLxuc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qQqQ9kfZUn0

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #37 on: March 28, 2019, 07:37:34 PM »
In my truck since I don't have any streaming or satellite, I pretty much listen to KPBS (San Diego's NPR affiliate), or our local jazz station Jazz 88.3 (real jazz, not lame smooth jazz).  At work Pandora, Spotify or I'll stream Seattle listener supported KPBS (www.kpbs.org).  Yes I think terrestrial radio in general is dying with some exceptions.
88.3 doesn't quite reach San Clemente. I listen to 88.1 KJazz from CSLB. It used to be all straight ahead and Latin Jazz, but now they mix in a little mush. Check out 105.7 in SD. It gets really good at times. You never know what they are going to play. Some funky auto play metric. The commercials are short and in Spanish.
It's not overhead to me!

robon

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 28, 2019, 08:08:44 PM »
Rock is far from dead and it's only expanded. The internet and it's evolution changed everything.

One of the best bands to ever do it, didn't gain widespread notoriety until around 2004, and The Black Keys are about to start selling out stadiums again on tour with Modest Mouse this year, and Modest Mouse in their own right are an alt/Indie rock band who are huge and didn't have mainstream notoriety until post 90s.

There are too many rock-altrock,indie rock, alt-metal-nu metal (that is closer to hard rock) that have come out and made huge waves over the last 10-15 years to name.

Queens of the Stoneage were big time post 90s, well into the 2000s, as were multiple spin off projects such as Them Crooked Vultures, Eagles of Death Metal, etc. The Foo Fighters are still going, and bands such as the White Stripes had their most popular albums around 2006-2007 and disbanded after 2010, so I don't buy into the rock dying in the 90s. The genre just diversified.

« Last Edit: March 28, 2019, 08:12:43 PM by robon »

surf4food

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #39 on: March 29, 2019, 07:02:20 AM »
Check out 105.7 in SD. It gets really good at times. You never know what they are going to play. Some funky auto play metric. The commercials are short and in Spanish.
I looked them up.  Apparently they are down for the moment.

"For the last few months, Max programming has only been available online and on our mobile app. Unfortunately, we have ceased operations for the time being. We can’t thank you enough for bearing with us through this ordeal. From day one, our goal has always been to get back on the air. That remains our hope. We appreciate you and will continue to make every effort possible to get back on the air in the near future. "

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #40 on: March 29, 2019, 07:53:32 AM »
Check out 105.7 in SD. It gets really good at times. You never know what they are going to play. Some funky auto play metric. The commercials are short and in Spanish.
I looked them up.  Apparently they are down for the moment.

"For the last few months, Max programming has only been available online and on our mobile app. Unfortunately, we have ceased operations for the time being. We can’t thank you enough for bearing with us through this ordeal. From day one, our goal has always been to get back on the air. That remains our hope. We appreciate you and will continue to make every effort possible to get back on the air in the near future. "
It's what is being broadcast over the airwaves. The station has no name. Just on 105.7  fm
It's not overhead to me!

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 29, 2019, 07:55:37 AM »
I agree there is great music around. It's just not new. The schizophrenics are awesome. They sound just like MC5 in the late 60's. We might as well call it retro rock.

In order for rock to stay alive, it needs to keep re-inventing itself. The second half of the 20th century saw a new type of rock and roll appear every few years. Sometimes these new genres even overlapped each other. This has not happened in the last 20 years. Therefore rock is dead, or at least dormant while everyone keeps writing and playing the same old stuff that has been done before.
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300
Sunova Flow  8'10 X 31"  119L
Me - 6'0" - 165lbs - 66yo

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #42 on: March 29, 2019, 09:11:29 AM »
Thanks for the Demob. I was just complaining that there aren't any 3 man rock bands any more (that I know of). I've always been a fan of Cream, James Gang, ZZ Top, Police, etc

You're in San Diego right?   There's our own Schizophonics:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dwRiCf2zw_o

OK two men and one women.

Maybe someone else as well playing the lead guitar solos (or recorded?)

Weasels wake

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 29, 2019, 11:10:23 AM »
Originally from Poway, great song!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s1tAYmMjLdY
It takes a quiver to do that.

Weasels wake

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 29, 2019, 11:25:28 AM »
More 3 piece rock, irie style.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQ5rLBlQcQw
It takes a quiver to do that.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal